Menu

Help!- Struggling with math

Loupelou

I have a 12 year old who struggles with math concepts and remembering her basic facts. We are currently working through Horizons 6, actually a year behind where she should be. We've tried Saxon and Singapore in the past. Any suggestions are most welcome. I have 5 other children being schooled and an infant, so I can't really spend an exorbitant amount of time on one subject. I've actually thought of having my dh spend his evenings helping her. Thanks for any positive input!

Sarah

Perhaps switching to a mastery based program like MUS would suit your daughter better than the other programs? Math is really a life skill, so you DO want to spend time fixing this before she becomes too lost. Even if you have to spend a year doing addition and subtraction, I mean, they are the foundation of all math to come. If that foundation isn't there, the whole tower will crumble. MUS is not sold by grade level, but rather by topic, so she should not feel horrible if you pull out the Alpha book. You could then move on to Beta. You could do it a wee accelerated, like if she gets 80% or more right on one page, then she skips 2 pages, etc. You could even be finished Alpha and Beta shortly after the next school year begins. Just a thought...

Just thought of something else to add: what are her interests and strengths? See if there's something out there that would work with her abilities. For example, if she is an auditory learner, there are great math song CD's available. If she's more visual, then there are great CD-ROM's available, like from The Critical Thinking Company. Hands-on learner? Try Boxcars books filled with math games, and again, the MUS curric. with blocks so she could build the math problem and see how it works. hth!

My 7th grader struggles with math. He started out using TT7 and was doing very well. ...but I realized nothing was sticking and he was starting to fall behind. I had to stop and do multiplication tables for 2 weeks and just drill them in. He finally got those down.

Then we switched to Math Mammoth blue series. He did multiplication 2, multiplication and division 3, and division 3. They add in basic multiplication, and build up to some algebra. It is very easy. My son says he loves them. He is doing very well now. If they are too easy we skip the pages and move on.

They have a discount code on homeschool coop site...and they are only like 4.00 e book. You can get what you need only. They also offer the worksheets without instruction for kids that just need review.

I am really debating about switching back to saxon next year after we are caught up or using TT but require my son to use the textbook more and less of the computer.

Perhaps switching to a mastery based program like MUS would suit your daughter better than the other programs?

:iagree:

Math-U-See has a placement test which can give you a better idea what skills she needs to work on. MUS is great for "seeing" the concept since you actually build the problems with blocks. She should be able to progress through the levels quickly at her age.

Thanks so much for the ideas. She is a tactile learner and I have heard good things About MUS. I had not heard of Math Mammoth but I will look into it also. I really want to get her feeling more confident about math. She chooses to spend hours doing science and art and avoids the math! I do like the idea of working from the bottom up until she is more comfortable with the basics.

Sarah:)