Menu

Hey Andrew... or Alphabetarion... for Greek

butterfly113

If you have used either of these, did you like it? Was there more than the greek Alphabet? Which option would be better... Alphabetarion/Hupogrammon and then on to Elementary Greek

or

Progressing through the Hey Andrew Series?

They both appear to be Koine... any other differences?

:001_huh:

I planned to start Alphabetarion with my dd9 (8 when we started Greek) and then move on to Elem. Greek. After I had already purchased Alphabetarion, Greek Alphabet Code Cracker came out. It looked like a fun, gentle introduction to Greek that my dd would enjoy so we started that. After we finished it, there wasn't any reason not to move right into Elem. Greek. so that is what we did. We are moving along nicely and so far she is not finding it too difficult. Alphabetarion was a good resource but not as easy to implement as the other two programs. I've had no experience with Hey, Andrew.

Carolyn

Just to clarify a point I made...Alphabetarion and Code Cracker are not the same at all. Code Cracker is simply an introduction and Alphabetarion is much more in-depth. I meant for my purposes (introducing alphabet), I didn't need Alphabetarion. I hope you will receive input from others :001_smile:

Carolyn

I use Hey, Andrew beginning in Grade 2 with my kidlets. I have used Elementary Greek in the past but found that in our situation Hey Andrew was a better choice because it is more independent (for the child) than Elementary Greek. Hey Andrew is more of a workbook approach, very incremental. When we were using Elementary Greek, I would have to teach the lesson or review the lesson each day before my child could start working.

My second grader just finished level 1 and my sixth grader is just finishing Level 3 (he took a few years off). Both of them can get their book out, do their lesson and grade/correct their lesson with very minimal input from me.

HTH,

We use Hey Andrew and are in book 3. The first level is just the alphabet but since the letters are so different it didn't hurt; we just sped up where needed. We did the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker too but my son (now 8) enjoyed the Hey Andrew more. He liked the puzzle in the Code Cracker but wasn't learning the alphabet solidly from it; too much distraction for him really.

Hey Andrew is very gentle so far. The first level was the alphabet; the second reviewed the alphabet (we skipped that since we did the books back to back) and taught 11 words; the third level is starting with sentences using the words we know and will add some new words.

What we'd really love, however, is a Lively Latin program for Greek. We may move over to Greek for Children by CAP when it comes out but so far Hey Andrew is getting the job done and isn't overwhelming.