Menu

Does anyone have a "homeschool certificate"? My library is asking for one!

My local public library just shortened their check-out period to 2 weeks. I sent an e-mail asking if homeschooling parents would qualify for the special teacher card that allows a check-out period of 6 weeks. The answer I received was yes, but I'd have to provide a homeschooling certificate. Ummm. . .my state doesn't have anything called a homeschooling certificate. Does anyone?!?

I guess it is just a situation of someone assuming that homeschoolers need "permission" to teach their own children at home. I don't have any kind of homeschool group ID or anything so I'm wondering what might satisfy the librarians that I'm a homeschooling parent and not someone just trying to skirt their short standard check-out period.

Thanks.

Pegasus

Do you receive any paperwork at all from your state or school district? If so, I would bring that. If there is no such thing in your state, then the library needs to be made aware that they have created an unworkable situation for homeschoolers. I would ask to speak to the head of circulation and explain the problem.

You don't mention what state you are in, but I would start by asking for more information from the library. Is there a particular document they are looking for, or did they just make something up?

You can waste a lot of time and energy trying to figure out what it is they are looking for. It might be as simple as a letter from you!

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. My DH suggested making one, as well! I was curious if any states actually issued something called a certificate. I think I will wait and talk to my favorite librarian the next time I go in to our branch, rather than trying to communicate with the main library. She may just issue me the card without a fuss, or would certainly be able to explain what she needs.

Pegasus

My state do offer a certificate if you wanted one but not necessary at all. For any proofs of ID of homeschooling, I just use my HSLDA card. If not a HSLDA member then a letter with your letterhead on it with your school name should be enough. Another one is your homeschool group membership or a PEAH membership (this one is free).

Holly

My local public library just shortened their check-out period to 2 weeks. I sent an e-mail asking if homeschooling parents would qualify for the special teacher card that allows a check-out period of 6 weeks. The answer I received was yes, but I'd have to provide a homeschooling certificate. Ummm. . .my state doesn't have anything called a homeschooling certificate. Does anyone?!?

I guess it is just a situation of someone assuming that homeschoolers need "permission" to teach their own children at home. I don't have any kind of homeschool group ID or anything so I'm wondering what might satisfy the librarians that I'm a homeschooling parent and not someone just trying to skirt their short standard check-out period.

Thanks.

Pegasus

Are you not still with Homelife? You could print out "proof" from Homelife.

Isn't this whole idea bizzarre? I mean, you are not looking for a big discount on a shiny new car or anything. You just want to use the library materials for a little longer. You would think they would welcome the thought that children are studying from and learning through the library materials!:confused: Wouldn't you think?

If you take a homeschool magazine with a subscription label in your name on it to our Barnes & Noble store, they will give you a teacher's discount card. Maybe that would work for the library?

I like the idea of trying your favorite librarian - that would work well for me!:)

Anne