Menu

Has anyone researched this? If so do you have any links?

I just found out that the child of an acquaintance here in my town has lymphoma. Also, a friend of a friend just lost their child today to cancer. My dad has stage 4 cancer. My dad's mother suffered with leukemia for years. I've lost childhood friends to cancer. TOO MANY people I know have been affected by it, and I don't know that many people.....so I'd say the chances of me, or my husband or one of my children getting it are not as low as I'd been trying to believe.

Anyway. I'm ready to make changes. We do some things right, like extended breastfeeding and mostly organic foods, but I know there are other things. I want to know everything.

Call me crazy, I don't care. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I recently read (because I gave a copy of the same book to one of my best friends who is going through yet another cancer treatment) "Beating Cancer with Nutrition." The author's CV is not weak and in general he says sensible things like "there is no magic bullet for cancer..." and "nutrition is a low cost, non-toxic, scientifically-validated therapy that can help to prevent or significantly delay the onset of 40-60% of cancers and also substantially improves quality and quantity of life for medically treated cancer patients"

http://www.nutritioncancer.com/

I poured through hundreds of related books on the internet until I found this one. It seemed to me to be written by a qualified nutritionist but in lay-language as opposed to some that I couldn't tell if the author had valid credentials (quack?) or had creds but was highly technical abstract.

I'm sorry about your father. Best of luck -

So sorry for all of the loss in your life to cancer.

I am the mother of a child with leukemia, and the docs currently say there is no way known at this time to prevent childhood cancer. The researchers have no idea why most kids get it. They do know that large amounts of radiation and some genetic disorders such as down syndrome put kids at higher risk, but neither of those explain my son and most other kids or why those kids 'at risk' don't all get it. My son was 19 months at diagnosis and had only eaten organic or natural food up until that point (we are not so strict now, because it obviously did not help) protect him. We do not spray for bugs, we keep the kids away from anything that clearly states it is dangerous, he did not take any meds until he got cancer, he was never sick until he got cancer (seriously nothing), so I can believe that the researchers simply don't know because according to all 'we' know he should not have gotten sick. Even his pedi was shocked. Of course parents dealing with this throw out our 'suspects', but nothing is proven.

Take a look around CureSearch to find out more information. This is the group that funds The Children's Oncology group which treats around 90% of childhood cancer patients.

http://www.curesearch.org/for_parents_and_families/newlydiagnosed/article.aspx?ArticleId=3599&StageID=1&TopicId=1&Level=1

The NCI is another good place

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-types/childhood

Of course PubMed is a great place once you figure out good search terms to use. You can find the whole article at most libraries (they have paid subs), but searching abstracts at home (free) saves time at the library.

I don't know much about adult cancers, but I will be watching this thread to learn more.

I don't know of any cancer causing foods but I wouldn't be surprised. I have cut out preservatives in our diets and insist on lots of fiber, fruits and veggies at every meal. It's terrifying.

I've also experienced too many loved ones diagnosed with leukemia and other blood cancers. I'm currently fundraising for that very cause. (check out my siggy)

I just finished reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Iodine-Without-Brownstein-Bottle-Fashioned/dp/B000I2MMSI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1237420707&sr=8-5. The author argues that too-low amounts of iodine can be a contributing factor to cancer. Part of the problem, according to Dr. Brownstein, is that we are exposed to a lot of substances that attach to the same receptors as iodine (flouride, bromide, chorline) increasing our need for iodine above the USRDA. The book is a fast, easy read, if you want to check it out. :)

I am the mother of a child with leukemia, and the docs currently say there is no way known at this time to prevent childhood cancer. ...

I can't imagine your situation, but I wanted to let you know that I feel such compassion for you. It must be very difficult and also immeasurably revealing in some ways. Courage to you!

Has anyone researched this? If so do you have any links?

[snip]

Call me crazy, I don't care. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sorry about your Dad.

You're not crazy, you're wise to try to do what you can. That said, I am a firm believer that certain prolonged stresses are as damaging to our health as our environs and the foods we ingest. So, while you're researching and making changes, try not to let that take the joy out of just living, kwim?

I would recommend In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan. It's not specifically about cancer, but it is about the modern food systems and what we can do instead. Look, too, at your body care products (check out the Skin Deep report), which are a source for all kinds of hidden carcinogens, and consider investing in a good, whole house or tap specific water filter. Not that there are any guarantees, but these are fairly simple changes to make which might give you a greater sense of control.

Best wishes to you.

I am the mother of a child with leukemia, and the docs currently say there is no way known at this time to prevent childhood cancer. The researchers have no idea why most kids get it. They do know that large amounts of radiation and some genetic disorders such as down syndrome put kids at higher risk, but neither of those explain my son and most other kids or why those kids 'at risk' don't all get it. My son was 19 months at diagnosis and had only eaten organic or natural food up until that point (we are not so strict now, because it obviously did not help) protect him. We do not spray for bugs, we keep the kids away from anything that clearly states it is dangerous, he did not take any meds until he got cancer, he was never sick until he got cancer (seriously nothing), so I can believe that the researchers simply don't know because according to all 'we' know he should not have gotten sick. Even his pedi was shocked. Of course parents dealing with this throw out our 'suspects', but nothing is proven.

I don't know much about adult cancers, but I will be watching this thread to learn more.

I agree. As the mother of a SURVIVOR ds going through his second battle with leukemia, I can honestly say our doctors attest to what this poster said (they don't know what causes most childhood cancer; one doctor told us that in larger families, he has noticed that the *weakest* child whom you would think would be most likely to get cancer doesn't, but the healthiest one puzzlingly does); and, we also were careful what we ate, read labels, etc. (didn't do the organic - didn't know about it then), ds was VERY healthy, rarely ill, when other kids were terribly sick, he was robust; and, since the relapse, we like this poster, are not now so strict in our guidelines anymore because to quote dwkilburn1 again, "it obviously did not help protect him." And, like dwkilburn1, this is true for us and I agree with this: "So I can believe that the researchers simply don't know because according to all 'we' know he should not have gotten sick. Even his pedi was shocked."

To the poster who is training for a marathon to raise funds for lymphoma and leukemia research - THANK YOU!:grouphug:

ETA: To the op, I don't think you are crazy to be concerned - I think you are a mother who loves your children and your family very much and wants to do all you can to prevent this terrible thing happening. May I please add that, according to scripture, God says He has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7) I don't want to be preachy, or to diminish your concerns in any way. I just want to say that I've been in the position more than once of having to remind myself of this verse, and to STAND on God's Word, for it is TRUTH. Jesus and His Word and the prayers of many people are what have gotten us through all of this (including almost losing our ds). Isaiah 26:3 says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee." Jesus is Who I run to!

Sorry to be so long . . .

Edited by eaglei

The China Study talks about animal proteins causing cancer, and advocates a vegan (or very nearly vegan) diet. Not just for cancer either, for diabetes (which converted me) and blood pressure problems (which converted dh.) We might develop these problems anyway, but we thought it was worth trying since it doesn't cost crazy amounts or involve being stuck with sharp things.

:grouphug:

Rosie

I agree. As the mother of a SURVIVOR ds going through his second battle with leukemia, I can honestly say our doctors attest to what this poster said (they don't know what causes most childhood cancer; one doctor told us that in larger families, he has noticed that the *weakest* child whom you would think would be most likely to get cancer doesn't, but the healthiest one puzzlingly does); and, we also were careful what we ate, read labels, etc. (didn't do the organic - didn't know about it then), ds was VERY healthy, rarely ill, when other kids were terribly sick, he was robust; and, since the relapse, we like the op, are not now so strict in our guidelines anymore because to quote op, "it obviously did not help protect him." And, like the op, this is true for us and I agree with this: "So I can believe that the researchers simply don't know because according to all 'we' know he should not have gotten sick. Even his pedi was shocked."

To the poster who is training for a marathon to raise funds for lymphoma and leukemia research - THANK YOU!:grouphug:

So sorry your ds is dealing with this beast again. How difficult that must be. :grouphug:

That is interesting that the 'healthiest' child has been the one to get cancer, because that is so true for us too and he is still so healthy even on chemo with lots of exposure to germs which scares the heck out of me. My asthmatic and severe allergy kids were sick every time I turned around for the first couple of years of life, but not K, he NEVER got any of the bugs that his sibs shared. I was actually thrilled that he tested positive for the flu last year (I know that sounds crazy especially on chemo), but I still get nervous thinking that his immune system is still not working right.

Part of my orginial post did not copy from Word, sorry. The food thing. Selenium may help prevent 'hormonal' cancers, but too much or too little could be harmful. I read that in CURE I think, but I don't have it in front of me.

There are bacteria that grow on peanuts and lunch meat (any uncooked, but since lunch meat is not generally cooked it is most common there) that are said to cause cancer. I don't have any 'reliable' links on that though just news stuff. Peanuts are good in small amounts, so maybe it is just too much or 'tainted' ones?

Resveratrol is supposed to be good for caner prevention as well as heart health that is found in red grapes/red wine/red grape juice. Type in resveratrol and cancer in pubmed, and you will pull up many things.

This is an interesting basic abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19107428?ordinalpos=12&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Play with pubmed, really, it is alot of fun. You may need a medical dictionary at first, but it does not take long to get the medical lingo down (yep, I was medically illiterate 2 years and 3 months ago lol).

Skip wiki since it can be changed and added to by anyone who thinks they are an expert, and google can turn up some crazy stuff.

Thank you mommylaw for your help to raise money for LLS.

So sorry your ds is dealing with this beast again. How difficult that must be. :grouphug:

That is interesting that the 'healthiest' child has been the one to get cancer, because that is so true for us too and he is still so healthy even on chemo with lots of exposure to germs which scares the heck out of me.

We were just talking today about how the first time we went throught this, the doctor actually told us (when ds was in-patient and the doctor was very late coming in for the daily check) that he was "the healthiest kid on the floor." We thought what an oxymoron - he's in here for cancer but he's the healthiest kid here!!! The second time through hasn't been so *easy*. But he is still doing well now considering all he has been through and is going through - I know what you mean about that immune system . . .

Thanks for posting all the links. We'll check those out. We haven't given up personally searching for anything that can help ease the chemo and upcoming radiation, as well as preventing this - we have no intention of going through this again! Period.:glare::001_smile:

I have read that vitamin K - routinely given in a shot at birth - has been linked to leukemia. It was there at both of my homebirths just in case we needed it (pros outweighing cons), but we did not use it.

I think alot of cancer is environmentally caused and we have no control over it. Eating well may help us fight it, or delay it and buy us time. Maybe in some instances it will prevent it. But I don't think even the best nutrition will prevent the radiation damage caused from having a cell phone to your ear all day long.

I just think the planet is very sick and this affects us.

If I were really worried about cancer, I would go raw.

From what I have read (and discussed with BTDT people) it seems to really help.

I am so very sorry for all the loss and heartache posted here. (((hugs))) It's easy to go along in life not thinking much about it when it hasn't taken any of the people in my little circle. My grandfather died of malignant melanoma, but I was a baby and didn't know him. My grandmother died of brain cancer, but she was very old so her death, while sad, wasn't shocking. I know a homeschool mom IRL who's fought it but lived, an aunt who died of it before I was even born, and another homeschool mom online who's fighting it. You'd think after all that, I'd live more conscienciously in direct regard to cancer.

In all of my natural, organic living, 'weight loss the healthy way' research over the years (so I can't look up all the books, people, places I learned it all from - that would take a ton of research in itself), there are some things that I've come away with. To keep it short and brief I'll just list them:

-Eat & live as organic and chemical-free as possible. If you can't afford to, there are recipes for making your own less-harsh household cleaners, personal care products, and lists of which produce items are *the* ones to buy organic if you can't afford to buy it all that way. Growing your own food could be an option.

-Garlic, onion, and the other "pungent" veg's have recently been reported to have cancer-fighting properties. Heard that one on mainstream news w/in the last month. Ditto the resveratol/grape juice info. someone posted above.

-Don't buy things with these on the label: hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated, nitrite, nitrate, aspartame, saccharin, artificial dyes, paraben or any word ending with paraben (to include cosmetics & personal care items).

-Another recent report on mainstream TV news said that everyday items we use like shampoo have tested positive for trace amounts of ?? (forgot what, but I was apalled at the things they were - they were known carcinogens and poisons). I know that seems pretty unhelpful but maybe it could be looked up. I don't know if the organic market is safe from this or if figuring out how to just make our own stuff is the answer.

-Some seeds, grains, and brown rice - the oils in them can go bad after some time and actually become carcinogenic. My health-nut friend just told me that a few weeks ago. I bet there's charts or lists online that tell how to properly store things & how long they're good for. My mom's rule of "if it doesn't smell bad or look bad, it must not have gone bad yet" apparently isn't as true as I thought. I have brown rice from 2000 that needs tossed.

-A couple good books I've read that contain some helpful info are The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson (she also has a site, healthychefalex) and The Hundred-Year Lie; How to Protect Yourself from the Chemicals That Are Destroying Your Health by Randall Fitzgerald.

Wish I could be more helpful but I still fall into the medically illiterate category when it comes to cancer.

When I was dealing with malignant melanoma, my oncologist explained that everyone has cancer cells in their bodies. Everyone. He said the reason some people have cancer cells that metastize (however you spell that) is because the immune system is suppressed. Causes of a suppressed immune system are poor diet (cancer "feeds" on sugar), stress, lack of exercise, as well as external factors such as household chemicals, pesticides, food additives, etc.

I refused to take the chemo treatment and opted for natural immune building through diet, exercise and stress reduction. I've been cancer free for 5 years, so there is definitely something to diet, exercise and stress reduction regarding cancer. It's not a cure-all and there are many factors that can contribute, but keeping your immune system in top shape can surely help.

with lung cancer. I've never smoked a day in my life. My dr believes a healthy gut is like your second brain. I was dealing with IBS, low thyroid, adrenal fatigue this summer, so my immune system and gut were all whacko. My body couldn't heal itself, so the cancer formed. We've changed our diet completely. We eat at home, lots of veggies, fruits, lean, healthy proteins, beans, legumes, no sugar, nothing white, using digestive enzymes, probiotics, lots of supplements. We prepare everything, nothing from a box anymore. I can truly tell you that we are feeling much healthier now. I have lost 24 lbs. and feel great and I have cancer. We're starting treatment next week. So far, I'm not spending but a little bit more in our food budget, because we're spending it on healthy food, not junk.

"Beating Cancer With Nutrition" is a great book, btw.

We haven't given up personally searching for anything that can help ease the chemo and upcoming radiation, as well as preventing this - we have no intention of going through this again! Period.:glare::001_smile:

I've read that miso is helpful in easing radiation sickness things.

Rosie

cancer (Familial adenomatous polyposis). My brother, father, aunt, uncle, grandmother, and now my two little nieces all have had, currently have, or have passed away from cancer.

I firmly believe two things:

1. The human body is a resilient, adaptable, amazing thing. We are able to compensate for poor environment, poor diet, and in general poor health habits pretty well despite what a huge industry has to say.

2. Genes and a tendency towards entropy cause a huge amount of cancer. The human body, while amazing, isn't a perfect instrument.

I'm not knocking living a healthy life. We should all strive to minimize our risks and live healthily just because life is better if you are living a healthy lifestyle. I'm just saying that we only have so much that we can actually control despite our best efforts.

Edited by KJB

I have read that we should avoid anything "hydrogenated" and all the artificial colors like red50 etc. that is often found in "colored" cereals.

If you avoid processed foods and eat mostly organic, you could make sure you add some of these foods which are supposed to fight cancer:

Beets

Blueberries

Raspberries

Blackberries

Pears

Cilantro

lots of brightly colored vegetables, i.e bell pepper (organic!), and greens like chards

Also a recent study (according to my naturopath) revealed that a deficiency in Vitamin D is often found in cancer patients. Make sure you get a high quality Vitamin D supplement since we cannot get it all from the sun.

Also raw milk is supposed to supply some of that Vitamin D.

We do some things right, like extended breastfeeding and mostly organic foods, but I know there are other things. I want to know everything.

Organic doesn't mean "safe" or even pesticide-free. It doesn't mean that it's less likely to cause cancer. Mostly, it means it's more expensive and makes you feel good about it.

Too much red meat raises your chance of cancer. Try to have it 2x-week or less.

Too little fruits and veggies raise your risk of cancer.

Obesity raises the risk of cancer.

As for the rest? The science is pretty shaky on anything else but those general guides.

The China Study talks about animal proteins causing cancer, and advocates a vegan (or very nearly vegan) diet. Not just for cancer either, for diabetes (which converted me) and blood pressure problems (which converted dh.) We might develop these problems anyway, but we thought it was worth trying since it doesn't cost crazy amounts or involve being stuck with sharp things.

:grouphug:

Rosie

Funny thing about China. A good part of it is STILL 3rd world. People don't live long enough to get many adult cancers. They don't have enough food in the countryside to get fat and so avoid many other adult cancers. And most of the kids who die of childhood cancers are likely never diagnosed.

There's a decent chance that food insecurity (meaning low-calorie, not meaning having 4000 calories a day for five days and none for two, like in the US) probably lowers the chance of cancer, too. But I kinda like eating regularly, myself.

For general health, I believe the consensus is to stick to a mostly plant-based whole foods diet. Avoid all processed foods and limit meat intake. When shopping at a typical grocery store, this means you stick to the outside aisles fresh produce, fresh meats, frozen vegetables. Include a variety of produce in many colors. Venture to interior aisles for bags of brown rice, beans, quinoa, other whole grains that have not been processed. Avoid white flour, white rice and white sugar. This approach is completely foreign to the average American. It requires knowing how to cook and making time to cook and prepare food.

You don't have to purchase all organic. Pesticide free would be nice. If you are peeling the skin pesticides are less of an issue. Processed foods that are organic are still processed. The organic label does not make them good for you. If you do buy convenience foods read the label carefully and choose foods with the least ingredients.

A healthy diet does not guarantee that one will not get cancer or other disease. A healthy diet does improve the immune system, so the body is able to deal with fighting diseases.

Another plus, when you figure out how to cook like this, preparing meals for a family is often cheaper.

A healthy diet does not guarantee that one will not get cancer or other disease. A healthy diet does improve the immune system, so the body is able to deal with fighting diseases.

Another plus, when you figure out how to cook like this, preparing meals for a family is often cheaper.

The above first quote reminded me that part of the whole treatment at peds oncology includes diet. When ds was first diagnosed, the nutritionist, after talking with us and studying his initial and subsequent chemistries (monitored throughout 2.5 years of chemo), found NO recommendations for doing ds's diet differently - she said he was already eating healthy and to keep it up. So while it did not prevent the leukemia, it aided his overall excellent prognosis, and possibly made that first time *easier*. While his diet remained healthy when in remission, he still relapsed . . . and the relapse has been hard in every way. As I stated in an earlier post, we are still careful, but not always *as careful*. If ds is hungry for something, we are thankful that he is actually hungry, that the food has a somewhat bearable taste (chemo affects taste), and that he is actually able to eat it and hold it down . . .

Re the second quote, any books you would recommend? Dh and I have been on a steady quest for years, even before we were blessed with ds, to improve diet, learn more about natural things, make pertinent changes, etc. I am overwhelmed these days with four *big issues* to deal with, so this board is extremely helpful to come to for quick responses! I had to stop and reflect a moment yet again when I read Sola Michela's post about us all having cancer cells and various things can cause them to erupt, including stress - I knew that already, but it reminded me that, with the four main stressful situations, to thank God that HE is my peace through it all. (I don't think I said that very well, but hopefully it makes some sense).

Anyway, I am carefully following this thread for anything I can learn! Thank you to all the posters!:grouphug:

cancer (Familial adenomatous polyposis). My brother, father, aunt, uncle, grandmother, and now my two little nieces all have had, currently have, or have passed away from cancer.

I firmly believe two things:

1. The human body is a resilient, adaptable, amazing thing. We are able to compensate for poor environment, poor diet, and in general poor health habits pretty well despite what a huge industry has to say.

2. Genes and a tendency towards entropy cause a huge amount of cancer. The human body, while amazing, isn't a perfect instrument.

I'm not knocking living a healthy life. We should all strive to minimize our risks and live healthily just because life is better if you are living a healthy lifestyle. I'm just saying that we only have so much that we can actually control despite our best efforts.

This is true; we can only do what we can do and there are no guarantees. My step mother's friend's daughter recently passed away from cancer at age 41. She was very healthy, ate well, exercised regularly, wasn't overweight. So, there are not tricks or formulas for escaping cancer, but we can do healthy things with our lives and eating habits that can contribute to a healthier immune system, and over all, a healthier body.

I am certainly in the we can only do what we can do camp these days. When my son's doc told me that we have cancer cells in our bodies all the time that was kind of creepy to me.

There is also the chicken/egg/something else mentality here. Some cancer patients are deficient in some vits like D (which is important), but is it the vit D that was deficient or did the cancer deplete it or is there something else in the body that makes some people 'lose' vits or not process them properly that is also related to cancer? It makes my head spin! I want to go back to the eat right + exercise + no family history = we won't get cancer mentality that I used to have. I really used to believe that! At diagnosis my son's vits were all within range, everything else looked great excepted those things specific to his cancer.

We are always looking for ways to improve our chances of living a long healthy life, and I have picked up a couple of things from this thread. Thank you! Keep them coming!

Eaglei are you on ACOR's pedi relapse list? There are some wonderful people on the ALL-Kids list that have helped us so much through treatment, and those on the relapse list may have some good tips on radiation. We only know a couple of kids that have gone through that.

About 15 years ago, I attended a Grand Rounds seminar at a regional children's hospital. I don't even remember the topic that day, but what really got me was that one of the Dr.s who spoke casually said something to the effect that, "...as we all know, children who eat hot dogs more than twice a week have a 200% increase in their likelihood of childhood cancers...." and continued on about some other topic like pediatric orthopedics or whatever. I was stunned to hear the comment but the docs and nurses present nodded their heads in acknowledgement and never batted an eyelash. I was horrified. Why don't parents know this??? Who controls this information? How could physicians be aware of this and not alert all their patients?

I know that many children go through food obsessions. For my dd, it was fish sticks and applesauce:tongue_smilie:. But I tried to keep it under control because of concerns over mercury and other contaminants in fish. I imagine many kids focus on hot dogs as their food of choice. I still worry about that little bit of information, tossed so casually into the crowd.

I agree that no one knows the whole story. No one has the complete cure. But I do strongly feel that there is a lot more information out there than we are aware of. It frustrates me that it is so hard to dig it out and I am at a loss as to how to separate out the quacks and nuts from those who might be unorthodoxed but right.

BTW, the common use of the word organic does mean free from chemicals. Unfortunately when used in a food labeling context, its legal definition varies from state to state and can mean anything from chemical free and inspected to full of questionable substances and operating under the radar. While I do think organic foods from reliable producers are worth more money, I also doubt that anything grown on the planet is entirely organic any more, with the problem of pollen and chemical aerosol drift, water pollution, and air pollution. However, that is all the more reason to avoid artificial chemicals whenever we can.

Mostly, it means it's more expensive and makes you feel good about it.

Too much red meat raises your chance of cancer. Try to have it 2x-week or less.

Too little fruits and veggies raise your risk of cancer.

Are you for real? Methinks your "science" is pretty shaky, as well. :rolleyes:

My understanding is (as Michelle noted her oncologist told her) that we all produce mutant cells in some degree, which if they were not killed by our bodies own defenses, would potentially develop into cancers.

And while the "science" is somewhat tentative, that there is a general understanding that certain foods seem to have an antimutagenic effect (ie, they help the body kill cancer cells) and other foods (and environmental hazards) increase cancer risks.

Foods which are generally believe to help the body quash cancer include (but are not limited to) dark leafy green vegetables such as kale and broccoli, and many (most) other fresh fruits and vegetables.

Other foods, such as whole grains, are believe to help with specific cancers (such as colon cancer) by helping with intestinal health.

And some foods (and cooking methods) seem to promote mutagenic cell formation, and cancer.

Deep-fried foods are especially risky. Not only do the oils tend to be hydrogenated (a risk on their own) but the heating of the oils makes them highly oxidizing in the body, and frying oil also forms "acrylimides", a known carcinogen. Deep fried foods are absolutely out as far as I'm concerned. No french fries.

Highly seared/charred animal fat is a risk. I love a good charred steak as much as the next guy, bit it seems risky to "sizzle" animal fat at high temps.

Transfats.

Nitrates used to "cure" meats seem a definite risk.

High glycemic simple carbohydrates and sugars don't seem to be helpful to the body's ability to fight cancer, and there are suggestions these sugar fuel cancer growth.

I would not consume drinks with "aspartame" as it breaks down into formaldehyde in the body, even if the cancer link isn't proven.

Unfortunately farmed fish can be a risk due to PCBs.

These are a few places to start. The good news is a largely plant based diet, which can include some (non-charred) animal and dairy products, seems to promote basic good heath. Not terribly controversial.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Are you for real? Methinks your "science" is pretty shaky, as well. :rolleyes:

Which part do you have problems with?

EDIT: Oh, it looks like any red meat link is overstated. *shakes head* Figures. Well, then, don't eat red meat cooked over an open fire more than twice a week! :-P (Carcinogens in smoke, etc--I don't think there's a hole punched in THAT one yet!)

Edited by Reya

Organic doesn't mean "safe" or even pesticide-free. It doesn't mean that it's less likely to cause cancer. Mostly, it means it's more expensive and makes you feel good about it.

I don't want to hijack this useful thread to debate the pros and cons of organics, but I think this portion of your post might be the part to which Mamagistra took exception. It seems you are confusing fact with opinion here. Just my opinion :lol:

Thanks everyone! I'm reading and re-reading and taking notes. Also looking for credible links to send to my mom that will convince her to get my dad on a healthier diet.

I'm looking at foods in a whole new way. I'm overweight and until these past few days, I've been looking at sugary carbohydrates as something bad for my appearance. I knew they could cause other problems but was in denial about them. Reading that sugar can increase the growth rate of cancer has brought me out of that denial. I don't like being fat, but it never bothered me enough to really make any serious changes. Cancer is scary to me and I will start being very very careful now.

Unfortunately, reading labels has me mystified. I do know not to eat BHT, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, partially hydrogenated oils, artificial coloring and flavoring, and MSG but other than that what do I avoid? Some ingredients have names I don't recognize, however I don't know if they are unhealthy.

I guess I could just play it safe and make everything from scratch so I know what is in everything.

I guess I could just play it safe and make everything from scratch so I know what is in everything.

Once you get used to doing that, it really becomes second nature. You'll get to where processed foods and junk foods will make you feel sick. And, once you get used to steamed, fresh veggies, you'll find they almost have a sweet taste to them. Whole grains will taste nutty and will be filling.

Good luck! It takes time, but it's so worth it to change over to good, real, food.

One study discussed in "The China Study" had the scientists flicking the cancers on and off by altering diet. That was mice, not humans and is not going to be all cancers, but it is enough to make the reader think.

Springmama: If it helps, the longer you stick to the plant based, wholefoods type way of eating, the less packaged stuff appeals. It stops being a case of avoiding packaged foods because you can't pronounce the ingredients and more that you know the boxed stuff tastes worse that what you make at home. They stop being a treat because treats are meant to taste good! It's as though your body has decided to start speaking to you again, and you find you feel like eating salads. Wanting to eat fresh fruit came as a shock to me!

Rosie- the reluctant vegan

Springmama: If it helps, the longer you stick to the plant based, wholefoods type way of eating, the less packaged stuff appeals. It stops being a case of avoiding packaged foods because you can't pronounce the ingredients and more that you know the boxed stuff tastes worse that what you make at home. They stop being a treat because treats are meant to taste good! It's as though your body has decided to start speaking to you again, and you find you feel like eating salads. Wanting to eat fresh fruit came as a shock to me!

Rosie- the reluctant vegan

Yes I agree. Although Im not vegan. I'm too reluctant to be vegan :lol:

But simple good food tastes so much better than processed crapola.

I don't know where I sit on cancer. I know there are some clear links between certain things and particular cancers. For instance nitrates (or is it nitrites?) in processed meat and bowel cancer. With a family history of bowel cancer I choose to minimise all bacon, ham, salamis, sausages etc in our diet.

But mostly I think that it makes good sense to feed our bodies with simple good food and avoid chemicals in our environment and in and on our bodies. Not because of what we KNOW but more because of what we DON'T KNOW.

I do also think that we have to die of something kwim? And I'm not sure that cancer is really on the increase? Lots of people died as children in earlier years of unexplained illnesses. 1/3 of people die from cancer, if they don't die of cancer they will die of something else. I say this as a person who has lost my father and other very special people to this nasty illness. But I guess I'm a bit of a realist... something has to kill me! I'd probably rather die of cancer than end up with alzheimers or dementia to be honest.

Edited by keptwoman
because I should learn to proofread better.

I am certainly in the we can only do what we can do camp these days.

:iagree:

I want to go back to the eat right + exercise + no family history = we won't get cancer mentality that I used to have. I really used to believe that!

Me too!

At diagnosis my son's vits were all within range, everything else looked great excepted those things specific to his cancer.

Same here.

We are always looking for ways to improve our chances of living a long healthy life, and I have picked up a couple of things from this thread. Thank you! Keep them coming!

:iagree:

Eaglei are you on ACOR's pedi relapse list? There are some wonderful people on the ALL-Kids list that have helped us so much through treatment, and those on the relapse list may have some good tips on radiation. We only know a couple of kids that have gone through that.

No. I'll check it out. Thank you for telling me about it - I appreciate that!:)

We are pretty much almost there. I already bake our breads from scratch and any other baked goods. For meals we usually have some form of protein, plus steamed veggies on the side, never anything from a box. ever. I even make my own yogurt and cereal. for snacks we do fresh fruit or veggies with hummus. Only natural peanut butter, jams are made without sugar, etc......

One problem is that today I went through the fridge and looked at the ingredients on my salad dressings. the number one ingredient was hfcs. I always told myself it didn't matter because it's only 2 tbsp of salad dressing, not a whole meal, but now that I am reading more about various ingredients, I would really rather have NOTHING with anything artificial in it.

Another huge problem is that we are always on the go. I'm ashamed to admit that we hit Chick Fil a at least once a week. I just found out today that they use BHT and I now realize how bad deep fried foods are for a person.

So, at home we are healthy, when we are out we are not. I mean, we don't go to places like McDonalds or Long John Silvers or anything and I never get the kids any french fries or soda, but we do eat the chicken fingers and non organic milk when we are out. I guess it's time to put an end to all of that.

We are pretty much almost there. I already bake our breads from scratch and any other baked goods. For meals we usually have some form of protein, plus steamed veggies on the side, never anything from a box. ever. I even make my own yogurt and cereal. for snacks we do fresh fruit or veggies with hummus. Only natural peanut butter, jams are made without sugar, etc......

One problem is that today I went through the fridge and looked at the ingredients on my salad dressings. the number one ingredient was hfcs. I always told myself it didn't matter because it's only 2 tbsp of salad dressing, not a whole meal, but now that I am reading more about various ingredients, I would really rather have NOTHING with anything artificial in it.

Another huge problem is that we are always on the go. I'm ashamed to admit that we hit Chick Fil a at least once a week. I just found out today that they use BHT and I now realize how bad deep fried foods are for a person.

So, at home we are healthy, when we are out we are not. I mean, we don't go to places like McDonalds or Long John Silvers or anything and I never get the kids any french fries or soda, but we do eat the chicken fingers and non organic milk when we are out. I guess it's time to put an end to all of that.

If you start making your own salad dressings you will find it is a revelation.

Get an extra-virgin olive oil. Extra-virgin simply means the oil was extracted without heat or (importantly) chemical solvents. And you need a vinegar. Red wine vinegar, balsamic, apple cider, and rice are all alternatives. As is lemon juice.

Depending on the strength of the vinegar, and your taste, use the oil in a 4 to 1 (to 3-1) proportion with the oil.

Adding a little mashed garlic, and a small amount of a good mustard (not a French's style yellow mustard if possible), before you beat the oil and vinegar together will help "hold" the oil and vinegar together (this is called an "emulsification").

From this basic start you can add small amounts of almost any other seasoning or herb, or condiment you like.

Olive oil is universally considered "healthful" (unlike the cheap and unhealthful oils found in bottled dressings). While extra-virgin oil is not "cheap" when you compare the cost to bottled dressings you will find you are saving money, in addition to eating far more healthfully.

And the beauty part is your really can't go wrong if you start with a 4 to 1 mix, and adjust from there.

Good luck on your new adventure!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I don't want to hijack this useful thread to debate the pros and cons of organics, but I think this portion of your post might be the part to which Mamagistra took exception. It seems you are confusing fact with opinion here. Just my opinion :lol:

I don't know anything about "organic" or certain types of "healthy" foods but I would like to. The thing is, HOW. What information do you trust. Something that is labeled healthy or light or organic or what ever is no guarantee.

We raise beef cattle. I know for a FACT that the label "Certified Black Angus Beef" means absolutely nothing what so ever. You are NOT GETTING BLACK ANGUS BEEF, when you buy meat with that label. All it means is that the cow was black. Many, many other breeds of beef cattle come in black. Some have no angus in them what so ever. It is a racket to say the least.

My only point there being, if THAT label means nothing, who's to say that other legal labels actually mean anything? WHY do you trust them?

My husband worked in the pharmasuetical intermediate manufacturing industry for 18 years. Many of the products he manufactured were ingredients in "nuetrasueticals" found in "health food" stores. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE the crap that goes into the stuff you buy in those "health food" stores. Yuck! You would have to be on the "inside" of the industry or do a massive amount of research to know which brands were "good" and which are "junk." ( not my DH's stuff - pharmasuetical quality of the hightest order!) (higher price is not ALWAYS an indicator, but cheapest is a red flag.) (one hint: "made in china" - not good - duh!)

(Waaaaa, I used to get the purest, highest grade glucosamine known to man for FREE! I only have 4 cases of it left and then I will have to start paying for it. :confused:)

My other problem is that "science" is changing ALL the time. Do eat this, don't eat that. Next year it is, "Oh, hmmm, that's not good for you after all, and this is not bad for you after all." WHY do you beleive today's report? Tomorrow's will be different. Often, current reports are contradictory.

I am not trying to criticize anybody. I have simply thought about trying to learn what is considered good for you and what is not and found myself not believing much of anything I read.

Of course there are certain, obvious, basic rules such as eat fresh, whole foods and lots of fruits and vegies. I'm not doubting that! But do you all KWIM?? My DH has high cholesterol so Dr. says low fat diet. He also has insulin resistance so endocrinologist says low carb diet. We're told not to eat meat too often so I guess its beans, fruit and vegies? Oh shucks, he has irritible bowel syndrome since childhood so NO raw vegies or fruit....Awwww.... poor Honey...I guess it's applesauce and beans for dinner - every night! I think I'm moving out! :D

Of course I'm exagerating a bit but...do you get my point??

I don't know anything about "organic" or certain types of "healthy" foods but I would like to. The thing is, HOW. What information do you trust. Something that is labeled healthy or light or organic or what ever is no guarantee.

We raise beef cattle. I know for a FACT that the label "Certified Black Angus Beef" means absolutely nothing what so ever. You are NOT GETTING BLACK ANGUS BEEF, when you buy meat with that label. All it means is that the cow was black. Many, many other breeds of beef cattle come in black. Some have no angus in them what so ever. It is a racket to say the least.

My only point there being, if THAT label means nothing, who's to say that other legal labels actually mean anything? WHY do you trust them?

My husband worked in the pharmasuetical intermediate manufacturing industry for 18 years. Many of the products he manufactured were ingredients in "nuetrasueticals" found in "health food" stores. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE the crap that goes into the stuff you buy in those "health food" stores. Yuck! You would have to be on the "inside" of the industry or do a massive amount of research to know which brands were "good" and which are "junk." ( not my DH's stuff - pharmasuetical quality of the hightest order!) (higher price is not ALWAYS an indicator, but cheapest is a red flag.) (one hint: "made in china" - not good - duh!)

(Waaaaa, I used to get the purest, highest grade glucosamine known to man for FREE! I only have 4 cases of it left and then I will have to start paying for it. :confused:)

My other problem is that "science" is changing ALL the time. Do eat this, don't eat that. Next year it is, "Oh, hmmm, that's not good for you after all, and this is not bad for you after all." WHY do you beleive today's report? Tomorrow's will be different. Often, current reports are contradictory.

I am not trying to criticize anybody. I have simply thought about trying to learn what is considered good for you and what is not and found myself not believing much of anything I read.

Of course there are certain, obvious, basic rules such as eat fresh, whole foods and lots of fruits and vegies. I'm not doubting that! But do you all KWIM?? My DH has high cholesterol so Dr. says low fat diet. He also has insulin resistance so endocrinologist says low carb diet. We're told not to eat meat too often so I guess its beans, fruit and vegies? Oh shucks, he has irritible bowel syndrome since childhood so NO raw vegies or fruit....Awwww.... poor Honey...I guess it's applesauce and beans for dinner - every night! I think I'm moving out! :D

Of course I'm exagerating a bit but...do you get my point??

You're right. There is a sea of choice out there, even in "natural foods", and there is just as much junk (more, actually) as there is good stuff. That's why I like Pollan's book, In Defense of Food, because he's got it down to the basics. He (and others) basically say, if your grandmother didn't cook it, you shouldn't either. Trouble is, Pollan's grandmother would be old enough for that to be a valuable statement, but that's not the case for some grandmothers who were raising families in the '50s and '60s, when processed foods became so highly marketed (Rachel Carson didn't write Silent Spring in 1962 for no reason!).

We all have to make the best choices we can with the knowledge we have. The keys, in my opinion, are (1) to seek to know. It's not wise, any longer, to believe everything you read or to trust the advertisements. To the best of your ability, it's good to try to remain informed. And, yes, as you said, it's a very difficult job. That said, it's equally important to (2) not let the magnitude of the problem become so all consuming that it brings you to a place of anxiety. Stress is a contributor to the breakdown of a body's immune system, so it's possibly equally valuable to develop a sense of calm about this topic (and many others).

I sometimes feel that every choice I make in the household presents a moral dilemma. Should I serve that food? Should I use that product? Look at all that waste! Good grief, why are all these lights on?! The wood stove uses trees! The carpet emits formaldehyde! Toilet flushing wastes water! Water bottles are toxic! The list goes on. But, I can't live my life always stewing over every single decision. I just have to do my best, pay attention, and make the smartest choices I can make.

So, my advice to you would be to choose the areas where you think you can make a dent, and begin. Maybe you start with your glucosamine (See, personally, I'm not a big fan of supplements, because I believe the majority of my nutrients should come from the foods I consume. I also don't know enough about them, overall. But you have different information and choose to act on it. That's great!). Maybe you start reading up on organic foods (be sure to include the history). Another Pollan book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, is goes into even greater detail about the history of our food systems. Maybe you simply try to eat seasonally, and shop at a farmers' market this summer, where you can talk to the growers (hopefully -- not all vendors at farmers' markets really grow all the food they sell) and start to learn more. Just pick one or two areas that feel manageable so that you won't become overwhelmed as you move forward.

Best wishes!

You're right. There is a sea of choice out there, even in "natural foods", and there is just as much junk (more, actually) as there is good stuff. That's why I like Pollan's book, In Defense of Food, because he's got it down to the basics. He (and others) basically say, if your grandmother didn't cook it, you shouldn't either. Trouble is, Pollan's grandmother would be old enough for that to be a valuable statement, but that's not the case for some grandmothers who were raising families in the '50s and '60s, when processed foods became so highly marketed (Rachel Carson didn't write Silent Spring in 1962 for no reason!).

We all have to make the best choices we can with the knowledge we have. The keys, in my opinion, are (1) to seek to know. It's not wise, any longer, to believe everything you read or to trust the advertisements. To the best of your ability, it's good to try to remain informed. And, yes, as you said, it's a very difficult job. That said, it's equally important to (2) not let the magnitude of the problem become so all consuming that it brings you to a place of anxiety. Stress is a contributor to the breakdown of a body's immune system, so it's possibly equally valuable to develop a sense of calm about this topic (and many others).

I sometimes feel that every choice I make in the household presents a moral dilemma. Should I serve that food? Should I use that product? Look at all that waste! Good grief, why are all these lights on?! The wood stove uses trees! The carpet emits formaldehyde! Toilet flushing wastes water! Water bottles are toxic! The list goes on. But, I can't live my life always stewing over every single decision. I just have to do my best, pay attention, and make the smartest choices I can make.

So, my advice to you would be to choose the areas where you think you can make a dent, and begin. Maybe you start with your glucosamine (See, personally, I'm not a big fan of supplements, because I believe the majority of my nutrients should come from the foods I consume. I also don't know enough about them, overall. But you have different information and choose to act on it. That's great!). Maybe you start reading up on organic foods (be sure to include the history). Another Pollan book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, is goes into even greater detail about the history of our food systems. Maybe you simply try to eat seasonally, and shop at a farmers' market this summer, where you can talk to the growers (hopefully -- not all vendors at farmers' markets really grow all the food they sell) and start to learn more. Just pick one or two areas that feel manageable so that you won't become overwhelmed as you move forward.

Best wishes!

Great response!