Menu

Greek or Latin?

Joyful

DS was peeking over my shoulders as I was surfing the forum.

And he asked if he could start learning Latin or Greek next year.

(He will be in second grade next year.)

DS is pretty solid in reading/writing and math. So I'm thinking that we

could give that some consideration.

Should we try Greek or Latin? Any thoughts would be apprciated! :D

Thanks!

DS was peeking over my shoulders as I was surfing the forum.

And he asked if he could start learning Latin or Greek next year.

(He will be in second grade next year.)

DS is pretty solid in reading/writing and math. So I'm thinking that we

could give that some consideration.

Should we try Greek or Latin? Any thoughts would be apprciated! :D

Thanks!

You'll find more resources for teaching Latin to that age.

Classical Academic Press has "Song School Greek," which is geared toward younger children. But IMO, Greek is harder than Latin :)

My second grader started Greek this year with Hey Andrew - Level 1. He just finished the book and was excited to see me ordering Level 2. It hasn't taken much time as the first level just introduces the alphabet and a few vocabulary words. We're going to continue with the Greek and start Prima Latina sometime in the next few weeks (if I get my act together) or first thing next year.

Many on this board will probably say Latin;) I'd say to ask him which he would like to try. Dd8 has been talking about learning a language for the past year. Her latest language is Greek. I'm going to pick up the new Greek Alphabet Code Cracker at the convention and see what she thinks. It looks fun and it's only $12.95. If I were to go the Latin route, I'd probably look at Song School Latin. But I don't want to spend a lot until I know she's really interested. Both of these products are from Classical Academic Press and you can see samples here http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/

Thanks for you thoughts and suggestions! I don't know anything about Latin or Greek, so this is helpful. :001_smile:

I was wondering,... Angel, could you (or someone else) please elaborate more on the reasons why many ppl on this board would recommend doing Latin first with a second grader? Yeah, I'd like to have more of an understanding on this.

Thanks!

I'm not at all the best person to explain it:tongue_smilie: I lean more CM than Classical. It would seem to me that Latin is like a backbone to Classical studies. I have read WTM but I don't know that I can explain "why" Latin is so critical. From a practical standpoint, Latin and Greek roots make up a great deal of our English language, therefore making their studies more profitable for expanding the vocabulary. I guess I know even less than I thought:glare: Hopefully, this will get bumped up and someone knowledgeable will be able to answer your question.

I don't weigh in on either side, though I have one high school dd who looooves Latin. But I wanted to mention that the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker mentioned above is excellent! My dd 10, who is determined to learn Greek instead of Latin, is having a great time with it. So, even if you don't undertake a "formal" study of Greek, this book is a lot of fun!

IMO Latin is easier to learn because it's a recognizable language. There are less steps to go through to read a single Latin word. Greek is more like working with code. :tongue_smilie:

We've been having fun with the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker as well this year, but it has been easier, imo, to learn and teach Latin.

Greek is more like working with code. :tongue_smilie:

Boys are all about codes, it seems like. ;) We went with Greek first for my youngest, in part because he loves the whole breaking-a-code thing. Also, he watched his (5 years-) older brother suffer through Latin and didn't want anything to do with it. We're using Elementary Greek and love it. Very complete, easy-to-use program.

Does the poster who recommended Elementary Greek realize that this would be a second-grader? Elementary Greek is a wonderful program, but I would wait until at least third grade. It is hard for me, but my fourth-grader is doing fine with it. Chuckle.

If you do end up choosing Latin, I would go with Minimus for a second-grader. We did one semester of Minimus and one of Latin for Children (Primer A). You wouldn't finish Latin for Children A, but you sure will have a great time! It also (IMO) depends on how old your "second grader" is. My boy has a March birthday and I usually find that he is ready for the next "grade" in January or so. In other words, I would recommend Latin for Children for an 8-yo second grader, but not a seven-year-old. Just my totally arbitrary opinion, which is based a little on Piaget's theories. I guess it also depends on the logic and language skills of your ds.

ETA: Well actually, in second grade we did one week of Minimus Latin and then one week of Latin for Children, but I guess I wouldn't recommend that. Start with Minimus to get the interest going -- it won't take you long. If you choose Minimus, ask here how to play "Go Fish." It wasn't designed by me, but I used it a lot and it really helped us learn the Minimus vocabulary.

Have fun!

Edited by buddhabelly

Does the poster who recommended Elementary Greek realize that this would be a second-grader? Elementary Greek is a wonderful program, but I would wait until at least third grade. It is hard for me, but my fourth-grader is doing fine with it. Chuckle.

Well, they say that EG can be used with a child as young as 2nd or 3rd grade.... We would have had to go very slowly at that age. Very, very slowly.

And, yes, it was super hard for me to learn the alphabet, but now that I've gotten over that big hurdle, I'm finally getting some traction.

Minimus is a good idea. We still quote it in funny voices: "Tunica non pulchra est!"

We started Greek when my middle ds was in 2nd grade with the Greek Alphabetarion (GA). He loved it then and still says it's his favorite subject! This was before the new Classical Academic Press Greek products, so I can't compare, but we spread the GA out over most of his 2nd grade year.

Now we're in Elementary Greek 2 for 4th grade. I agree that I wouldn't start with EG1 sooner than 3rd grade because of the understanding of English grammar that is required as the program progesses. (And I feel good about his English background with R & S.)

Greek is not difficult for him or dd (6th grade)! He loves it even more because of the different alphabet, and memorizing paradigms and vocabulary have been quicker and easier for them than for me. (I love it too, though!)

ETA: I'm not sure that Greek is much more difficult than Latin. Once you're used to the alphabet, both languages are structured in a similar way -- declensions, conjugations, etc.

Edited by profmom

I would evaluate your reasons for learning classical languages. If it is to read the western classical cannon (eventually), the majority of it is in latin so I'd start there. If it is to read the bible as written, go with greek. If it is neither, but you want to have the mental exercise of classical languages I would go with latin - of the two languages you will find more vestiges of latin in our own language as well as writings. If you are planning on learning both, then flip a coin (better yet, ask your dc). If you think that a new alphabet might be too much for your student wait on greek and start in latin. But truly if you are only going to learn one and have no other compelling reason, learn latin.

I would evaluate your reasons for learning classical languages. If it is to read the western classical cannon (eventually), the majority of it is in latin so I'd start there. If it is to read the bible as written, go with greek. If it is neither, but you want to have the mental exercise of classical languages I would go with latin - of the two languages you will find more vestiges of latin in our own language as well as writings. If you are planning on learning both, then flip a coin (better yet, ask your dc). If you think that a new alphabet might be too much for your student wait on greek and start in latin. But truly if you are only going to learn one and have no other compelling reason, learn latin.

Good advice! I'm actually wavering a bit on my "compelling reason" to learn Latin (even though we'll continue), but I am very motivated by a desire to read the Bible in Greek! Learning a language is a big commitment, and it definitely helps to have your end goals in mind. (It's time to revisit my reasons for Latin!)

Well, they say that EG can be used with a child as young as 2nd or 3rd grade.... We would have had to go very slowly at that age. Very, very slowly.

And, yes, it was super hard for me to learn the alphabet, but now that I've gotten over that big hurdle, I'm finally getting some traction.

Minimus is a good idea. We still quote it in funny voices: "Tunica non pulchra est!"

As I mentioned, my son is doing fine with Greek. I am having more trouble with memorizing the declensions in Greek than I did in Latin. Perhaps the emphasis on chanting in LFC was the key to it for me. My son is more of a visual learner, and he STILL has to help me with declensions. This week (Lesson 21) we are learning 12 forms of the word "the" (there are actually a lot more than that), and I am only surviving by going over it every day.

Elementary Greek doesn't point this out, but the emphases (which syllable is accented) changes as you decline a three (or more) syllable word. We memorized those changes too, so that adds an element of, er, frustration. ANthropos, anTHROpou, anTHROpo, ANthropon. And then alEYtheya, aleyTHEYas, aleyTHEYa, aLEYtheyan. Not sure how important this is going to be, but we wanted to memorize it right just in case it will be. Important.

Julie

As I mentioned, my son is doing fine with Greek. I am having more trouble with memorizing the declensions in Greek than I did in Latin. Perhaps the emphasis on chanting in LFC was the key to it for me. My son is more of a visual learner, and he STILL has to help me with declensions. This week (Lesson 21) we are learning 12 forms of the word "the" (there are actually a lot more than that), and I am only surviving by going over it every day.

Elementary Greek doesn't point this out, but the emphases (which syllable is accented) changes as you decline a three (or more) syllable word. We memorized those changes too, so that adds an element of, er, frustration. ANthropos, anTHROpou, anTHROpo, ANthropon. And then alEYtheya, aleyTHEYas, aleyTHEYa, aLEYtheyan. Not sure how important this is going to be, but we wanted to memorize it right just in case it will be. Important.

Julie

Yes, I hear you. I hate to say it, because I'm such a huge fan, but this is my one tiny complaint with Elementary Greek, the audio being read not recited in a rhythmic way. I have editing software at my work, and I put in pauses between singular and plural conjugations and declensions to make them rhythm more distinct, and that's helped me with learning declensions, especially. (Though the irregular verb to be is killing me.) I also took out the slow pronunciation of the memory verses and made a track that has all the pieces of one verse together, repeating each bit three times. So the first part of John 1:1 three times, with pauses inbetween, then first part with the second part added on three times, etc.

I know not everyone has access to editing software, and heck, it might be illegal (though I'm not selling it!), but desperate times call for desperate measures. There was no way I could memorize the declensions and the memory verses straight up. Also, I suppose I could just read the declensions and stuff, but for me it's helpful to hear it right. I listen when I'm walking to work or cleaning the kitchen.

This is straying pretty far from the OP's question, so I apologize. But I guess the point I'm making is that adults and children do have different needs and abilities when it comes to languages. I just try to make it work however I can, fitting it into my life as I am able.

ETA: I had a sinking feeling the emphasis in the declensions was going to be important, since they're marked and all, so I paid attention to that. Boy, would that have been a stinker, finding out later it was important!

Edited by Nicole M

Thanks so much for your input and advice!

Now I also have ideas of what materials to use for which ever DS ends up learning first, which is a bonus. :001_smile:

Thanks for this thought! It's very helpful for me to consider our goals. I think the ambitious me would like the children to learn both. :D

Since I had not planned to teach him Latin/Greek so early, I will go with the advice from many of you to let him choose. I think this will make him happy and eager to learn.

We start Greek in second grade. In my opinion, it has all the benefits of Latin for teaching grammar and logical thinking, almost all the vocabulary benefits, and in the end you can read the New Testament. :)

Hey Andrew is a good start at that age, but in a couple of years you'll want to move on to something more solid.

We start Greek in second grade. In my opinion, it has all the benefits of Latin for teaching grammar and logical thinking, almost all the vocabulary benefits, and in the end you can read the New Testament. :)

Hey Andrew is a good start at that age, but in a couple of years you'll want to move on to something more solid.

Greek gets my vote, too, for these reasons.

• 1 month later...

So, based a a few suggestions to do so, I let DS choose whether he'd like to learn Latin or Greek first. He chose to learn Greek because he is eager to learn to read the New Testament in Greek. So, I'm going to place an order for Elementary Greek 1 and see how it goes. :D

Just something to think about: with Greek you will have to learn a whole new set of characters rather than using the same letters we use in English. I'm not advocating for either, although we started with Latin, but it's just something to consider.

Jennifer

Strangely, this is one of the main reasons I've thought about learning Greek FIRST, when I had always planned to focus on Latin first. My very bright dd has really struggled to learn to read--but she loves "codes" and accents and languages and WORDS. I keep having to put off Latin because I don't want to confuse her when she still mastering phonics. Now I wonder if perhaps we could just go on ahead with Greek because it is a different alphabet entirely.... :lurk5: