Menu

Lively Latin ??

Hi,

We'll eventually finish Song School Latin and I'm looking ahead to a next program. Lively Latin looks great, but I've seen some posts about difficulites with the site or with errors, ie mistakes and typos. Our total Latin back ground will be whatever we learn from Latin Song School. I'm not counting on being able to see a mistake.

Oh, I"m interested in only a program with a Clssical pronounciation option. I would prefer a secular program, but I'm happily using SWR, so I can adjust if necessary.

Any thoughts?

~Christine in AL

I'm not much help except to say I will be in your exact shoes a year from now and I was wondering the same thing. We have Prima Latina but I'm not crazy about it. I had planned on Lively Latin (because this will be then for a 2nd grader) and read the same comments...now I'm wondering too.

Looking forward to responses...:001_smile:

I purchased the on-line version. I noticed a few typos, like page numbering problems and a few quite obvious errors. I found perhaps, less than ten errors in a full year Latin program. I have no Latin background.

I downloaded the materials we needed each week.

It has both ecclesiastic and classical pronunciation. My children really loved it.

Any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

We're in Lesson 9 in Big Book 1 and haven't had any problems. I have NO Latin experience and so I'm learning along with the kids. I think LL has a gentle approach, so I rarely need to consult the answer pages. I have noticed a few errors in the answer pages, but it hasn't affected our learning or enjoyment of the program. (I do think she should make corrections though!)

We love Lively Latin, and haven't found the errors to be distracting. I used Latin for Children & currently use Latin Prep with my daughter, but my son needed a gentler approach, and he really likes LL. He's even thanked me for using it instead of the other books - I think he was afraid of all that quick memorization in LFC! He also finds the history pages fascinating and enjoys reading the stories.

My son is doing it mostly independently; I help with pronunciation and clarify if he is confused about something. I quiz him every 2 weeks on his vocab - he makes the flashcards like the program recommends and uses them daily (or thereabouts).

HTH!

I've not had any problems with the typos in LL. I mean, we notice it, but it doesn't set us back at all. Plus, my kids earn $1 for every typo or grammar mistake they find in their reading, so they've earned some money with LL! I used Latina Christiana with my olders and I like LL much better. More practice, weaves history and great art seamlessly into the lessons, moves along at a steady pace but not too quickly for beginners. It's working well with my 4th and 6th graders.

HTH,

Lisa

We are on lesson 13 of LL. I wish this was out when I first started to homeschool 11 years ago. Before LL, we were using LC. I think LL is easier and more child friendly for the younger child.

I ordered the downloadable version. Printing the pages were kind of a pain. I have another son that will be using this next year. I decided to pay the extra cost for the hard copy so that I wouldn't have to do all the printing next year. I received the hard copy two weeks ago and it is worth the money. The paper is high quality and the pages with the paintings are high glossed. You also receive a 5 inch binder with high quality labeled dividers, the pronunciation cd, answer key on cd, and any extras that you have to print out such as the history book project pages on paper.

I am hoping Mrs. Downs have the hard copy of volume two out son so that I don't have to print out another edition.

Blessings

Zoraida

We're in lesson 10 of Big Book 1 of lively latin. I was one who posted y-day about being frustrated with typos. In spite of that frustration (which isn't major - just an occasional annoyance) I think it's the best curriculum we've used on any subject. I had no latin background either, and we also do classical pronunciation. I had intended to skip the history, since we're doing sotw 2, also, but then we found the history so interesting we look forward to it.

I've also been pretty pleased with all the curricula I chose this year, so giving LL the award for being my favorite says something. I think my frustration with typos, was that I thought they would be corrected sooner. They are minor and won't detract me from buying LL 2 in a few months.

Thanks for all the feedback about this program. It looks really good. I really like Magistra voice and the detail and range of lessons seems like rich land to explore.

I tried the down load mini lesson/infomercial. It wouldn't work at first, That threw me. It did take a few hours to hear from LL. I was expecting a quicker response. I worte and heard back. I feel good about using the program. And much better after all these posts.

~Christine in AL

We're on lesson 2 of LL 2 and really could not be happier. Yes, there are typos and some mistakes but here's the great thing...we have learned enough with this latin to be able to find the mistakes!!! The first few times it happened, it really freaked me out because I have zilch latin background and we had only done Prima Latina prior. So when we found a mistake, I would always assume it was that we hadn't figured out how to do it afterall. But after looking and re-reading and going over it again, we would realize that we actually did know what we were doing! I do think she introduces some concepts without a lot of explanation but I am realizing that part of that will just come as we continue to move through it...and we're learning.

I would also encourage you to find a Henle Latin Grammar book. It is unbelievably clear and concise regarding the why and how of grammar. Using that as my go-to book when I am unclear has been very helpful.

I bought the hard copy because I didn't want to spend my life printing things out. It's all nicely printed out in a big binder. We love Lively Latin. We have noticed a few typos, but no big deal. I also like the Magistra's voice. Very clear and pleasant. I also hope that LL 2 will be available in hard copy soon.