Menu

How can I get my stuffy ear to drain?

I have sinus problems, and it's not unusual for some of the congestion to affect my ears, as well. For the past couple of weeks, I have had pain/congestion in my left ear. The intensity varies. I also feel like the glands along my jawline and in my neck are tender on that side. So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

What can I do to promote drainage? I avoid decongestants, because I have experienced PVCs (palpitations) when taking Sudafed. So when I'm stuffy, I usually take Mucinex. But that doesn't seem to do any good for the ear problem.

What can I do? Heat? Is it better to lie on one side or the other? Help!

Wendi

Vitamin C - Ascorbic acid 1/2 tsp (2000 mg) twice a day or more or even better a Vitamin C complex with Bioflavonoids, Rose Hips, Acerola like this one at Vitaglo http://www.vitaglo.com/770.html I have taken up to this does every hour or two on the first day just to clear out my head, and then I back off to 1000 mg to 2000 mg per day.

I have also found that with recurring sinus and ear problems it's related to an overgrowth of Candida. Totally cutting out sugar helps tons, as does cutting out grains and cutting out pasteurized dairy.

The best any doctor ever wanted to do was to give me an antibiotic, but that just made everything appear to clear up and then come back with a vengeance!

If you think Candida might be a concern, please avoid any antibiotics.

In addition - garlic oil is my next best remedy. I gently and lightly cook garlic in olive oil (do not burn it) and then strain it. Let it cool to body temp but not too cold. Put 3 drops in the affected ear and hold it in at least 5 minutes. Have a paper towel handy to catch it as it comes out.

Edited by girligirlmom

I guess I've been on the right track. I've been taking Advil already. I've been forgetting about my QBC Plex (Quercetin, bromelain, and vitamin C); I'll start taking that again. I have one of those things that's like a tube sock full of rice that you heat in the microwave; I've been using that. I'll try using my nasal irrigator more often, and see if that helps. (Lately my sinuses/nose don't seem terribly stuffy; it's all in my ear!)

Thanks again,

Wendi