Menu

Please share what works for you???

Do you use a chore chart? A reward system? Allowance? Stickers? Game or TV time?

I want a good exchange system. Something easy!!! I don't want to reward my kids every time they lift a finger, but I would like to recognize when they do certain things. Especially when they do something without being asked! Or when they do something (that they don't want to do) with a good attitude and without complaining.

When I motivate my kids on the front end...I get results. They don't always need motivating, but it is a handy tool! I just want to manage it...being the planner that I am.

So, do you have a system that works in your house?

PLEASE share!

I have a list on the wall for "morning", "afternoon" and "evening" routines. I have it laminated with a dry erase marker close by so they can mark when they complete each task. I don't have to keep asking whether they've done "X"; I just look at the list. One of the tasks on their afternoon routine is, "ask Mama how I can help around the house". When they ask I may have one girl set the table. Maybe I'll have her sister take out the vegetables scraps, etc. Many times when they ask I tell them it would be a big help to go play quietly in their room and let me work on supper by myself. (After schooling all day, I enjoy alone time in the kitchen). Other times we cook together.

I agree that being part of the family means each member has certain jobs to do, period. That's what we do here. However, I have implemented a system recently that has helped a lot with my sanity. This is not a system for chores or tasks on the routine lists. I was so tired of tripping over left out (insert toy, clothing, shoe, library book here)!

My girls are 8 yo. They like to have money to buy toys for themselves or gifts for others. At their age they only place they can get any money is from me or dh. I started giving them a roll of nickels on Fridays. They love this. They put them in a cup with their initials on it. (At this point the nickels still belong to me!) During the week if I trip over a left out toy, or if there are clothes on the ground I take a nickel out of the offender's cup. It's amazing how much better they are remembering to pick up after themselves! When the next Friday rolls around, they transfer the nickels out of the cups and into their piggy banks. Then I give them another roll ($2) to put in the cup, and we start the new week.

If I see them go out of their way to do extra work without be asked first I give them a nickel which makes them very happy!

This is what is working for us at this age.

I have a list on the wall for "morning", "afternoon" and "evening" routines. I have it laminated with a dry erase marker close by so they can mark when they complete each task. I don't have to keep asking whether they've done "X"; I just look at the list. One of the tasks on their afternoon routine is, "ask Mama how I can help around the house". When they ask I may have one girl set the table. Maybe I'll have her sister take out the vegetables scraps, etc. Many times when they ask I tell them it would be a big help to go play quietly in their room and let me work on supper by myself. (After schooling all day, I enjoy alone time in the kitchen). Other times we cook together.

I agree that being part of the family means each member has certain jobs to do, period. That's what we do here. However, I have implemented a system recently that has helped a lot with my sanity. This is not a system for chores or tasks on the routine lists. I was so tired of tripping over left out (insert toy, clothing, shoe, library book here)!

My girls are 8 yo. They like to have money to buy toys for themselves or gifts for others. At their age they only place they can get any money is from me or dh. I started giving them a roll of nickels on Fridays. They love this. They put them in a cup with their initials on it. (At this point the nickels still belong to me!) During the week if I trip over a left out toy, or if there are clothes on the ground I take a nickel out of the offender's cup. It's amazing how much better they are remembering to pick up after themselves! When the next Friday rolls around, they transfer the nickels out of the cups and into their piggy banks. Then I give them another roll ($2) to put in the cup, and we start the new week.

If I see them go out of their way to do extra work without be asked first I give them a nickel which makes them very happy!

This is what is working for us at this age.

That is an awesome idea...the money in a cup!

Thanks for sharing!

I tried creative charts, tickets, etc. when they were younger and to be honest, I just couldn't keep up with the whole system. Then we just had a few years when they had regular daily jobs (a few--empty dishwasher & bring down/sort laundry) that I fit into the day w/ their school schedule w/o any allowance b/c we wanted them to learn that they are a part of a family and we all work together. They would also need to do whatever dh or I asked (extra, not planned) with a good attitude at any moment (but sensitive to them being in the middle of something themselves).

Just this year, however, we wanted them to have some $ of their own to enjoy/learn to manage, so we added more jobs (weekly) that I scheduled into their school day each day for 15-min/30-min intervals. And if they are diligent to do them, they get their allowance. If not, they don't or get less depending on what they did do. They have ways of making more money (organizing closets/drawers or a big job) if they want to. But they also continue to just help with a good attitude with unplanned things. This has worked really well with making it a part of their regular day b/c they remember, get a mental break, and they don't have to dread a 3-4 hour block of time on the weekend of chores before they can have free time.

They have some ongoing jobs that just need to be done when they see the need, like you said which is a good way to operate/learn. My ds now sees the trash can full and just empties it w/o being asked--and even puts the new trash bag in w/o me saying anything!!!!!! Now I ask, how can a mother be prouder? :party:

You'll find what's best for your family, I know. Many more will have great suggestions here.

My ds has chores. Some are as needed, like unloading the dishwasher and taking out the trash. Otherwise Saturday is chore day. He has two different "rounds" of chores and he rotates them weekly.

He is paid an allowance for doing these chores only. Anything else, like laundry, setting the table, taking care of the pets, is just because you're part of the household.

We've tried different systems to keep track of chores, but a simple list on the frig has been the most effective.

all my children have regular chores, like feeding animals, washing dishes, loading dishwasher emptying it etc.

but if they do extra jobs like pick up a wheelbarrow of cow poo, bring in the washing, clean out the car , wash the bathroom ceiling, or wash the windows they get COMPUTER TIME. I have made up a chart with how much time per job. it is on the fridge. the jobs are very popular, and some of the jobs I have had to restrict to only be able to be done once a week.( I really don't need the windows washed every day)

We use a simple laminated chore chart for M-F (done in Excel). Each day's tasks are listed under the weekday heading, including: School w/Mom and independant school work, chores. All of these are interspersed: some after Breakfast, others after Lunch, some after Dinner; this helps them follow a "routine". They aren't allowed any free time until all work is done through their after lunch chores. So they are motivated to get it all done w/greater focus - school work as well. This has helped w/focusability for me, too.

They are also motivated by the $3.00 at the end of the week (M-F). If they don't do even one chore (and make sure it's done thoroughly now that they have been trained to know the difference), they won't get paid at all for the week. In the past, we have paid according to the jobs that were done. This new way is working for us b/c I don't ever remind them or nag them. I only occasionally check their work, in fact. It's wonderful!

On Sat/Sun, they are expected to do work around the house as contributing members of the household (without pay). But then it's nice b/c we work together as a family on the project-type jobs.

My dc are 10, 8, 6.