Menu

Processing Speed- WISC IV scores

juls

I have a 10 yr old ds. A few years back his IQ (calculated as GAI on the WISC IV) was 117 (87%) but processing speed was 85 (16%).

He is VERY slow at everything, but he is still bright. Anyone find a way to make great gains in Processing Speed?

Juls

I have a 10 yr old ds. A few years back his IQ (calculated as GAI on the WISC IV) was 117 (87%) but processing speed was 85 (16%).

He is VERY slow at everything, but he is still bright. Anyone find a way to make great gains in Processing Speed?

Juls

I have a bright girl with a slow processing speed. Our EdPsych said that processing speed can't be treated; it has to be accomodated.

I read in a book about ADD that for kids who have ADD and slow processing speed, ADD medicine can improve the processing speed and academic performance. However, the book was kind of outdated (1992 or 1996 I think), so I'm not sure if that is consistent with the latest research.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I am working on with my child, who also has a very slow processing speed.

I've been reading a great deal on "neuroplasticity" - which in simple terms is the brains ability to change itself or to be changed via intervention of many avenues. Thus, I do think that processing speed can be increased with intense, purposeful, sustained work.

One of the most recent and interesting, easy to understand books I've read on this topic is The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

(warning: it does discuss use of animals in research, and some parts were hard to read in that sense)

Frankly, I really like the exercises from the old version of "BrainSkills". I like the human interaction that it offered and the ability to observe first hand when and where the child struggled or had glitches.

Now, with that said, you may want to try the new online version. (I just posted about a free 10-day trial) or you may want to try to find one of the older kits from someone.

From what I gather, processing speed is not one of the easiest areas to improve, but there is certainly potential, so I wouldn't give up!

Blessings,

Tina

I used this program a few years ago (old version) to specifically address the processing speed and working memory. We did see improvements in processing speed, although it is still not a normal rate. We saw big improvements in working memory. I am probably going to do the program again this summer - if we have the funds I might try the online version. I also think that games like Brain Age for the Ninendo DS and Wii help with processing speed too. They won't do the same as a concentrated program but I do think they help to keep skills sharpened.

If he has ADHD, there is evidence that meds increase processing speed.

The processing speed test on the WISC-IV is heavily influenced by fine motor skills. Ds has dysgraphia and so he scored very low on that. However, he seems to me to not be slow in processing when verbal output is the modality. For your son, is it the speed of the "ticker" or is it writing that makes him slow?