Menu

2nd grade use MFW Rome to Reformation ?

I need some advice about using MFW RtoR for my 2nd grade son next year. We have used SOTW vol 1 for his history this year. He is doing fine with it. I'd like him to go through the history 3x and start another cycle in grade 5. I also appreciate the biblical world view the MFW offers. However, I'm not sure that MFW RtoR will be too heavy for him next year. His reading level is probably in grade 4 even though he is just 7. I understand that MFW is multi-age but I'm not sure should I start with what MFW recommend, that is, Adventure in America and ECC and then go through the history or should I just use RtoR for him next year. We are also doing Classical conversation for him and the K ds next year too. I also have a preschool and a baby due in month. Can anyone give me some advice ? How is RtoR for a 2nd grade who reads very well ? Thank you very much !

mom of

1st grade

K

preschool

baby due in a month:001_smile:

I asked the other day if I could start MFW CtG in 1st in this thread. You can read the responses, but the general consensus was NO. I would assume that the advice would hold similar for a 2nd grader in RtoR.

I didn't have my 2nd graders do RTR even though my oldest was in it and I wouldn't suggest putting your oldest into it. It's a great year but I think it's a little heavy for a 2nd grader. Have you looked at ADV? I know it doesn't do a full cycle but it does lightly talk about the reformation and explorers and then goes into American History. Perhaps you could just do some fun Roman study during the summer and then go into ADV to get more of that full cycle. We love studying Rome here so we do it for fun on breaks. You could even have them listen to the SOTW on CD over the summer to help fill in it the time difference.

That's just my two cents worth.

Edited by dhudson

. We are also doing Classical conversation for him and the K ds next year too. I also have a preschool and a baby due in month. Can anyone give me some advice ? How is RtoR for a 2nd grade who reads very well ? Thank you very much !

RTR is written in mind for logic stage with the pace and amount of the material covered in various books. With all that you have going on, I don't think it would be a wise decision to use RTR next year with your situation and age of oldest.

If you're interested in MFW, look at Adventures. Be prepared to use "book basket". Lots of titles in there for a kid with a reading appetite. With everything else he is doing (co op thing and all of that), it's going to be ok and you'll get it done and still have time for the other kids and new baby and everything. If he wants to play castles and stuff like that, he can do that no matter what you are studying in history.

You could consider the idea of just reading from SOTW vol 2 very lightly before starting ADV. But it really won't be necessary. But it would just enough to hang some facts on those information pegs for when you do it the second time. Just agreeing with Dawn's suggestion that it can be done.

-crystal

Thank you for all the replies. But my quesiton will be how can I start the sencond cycle when he is 5th grade ? The co op he goes to this year is doing SOTW 1 now and that's why I tries to SOTW 2 next year, but I'd like to do it from biblical world view. Any suggestions ? Thanks,

Jennifer

Thank you for all the replies. But my quesiton will be how can I start the sencond cycle when he is 5th grade ? The co op he goes to this year is doing SOTW 1 now and that's why I tries to SOTW 2 next year, but I'd like to do it from biblical world view. Any suggestions ? Thanks,

Jennifer

Two suggestions:

1. Don't do history with the co-op and follow your own plan instead; or

2. Go ahead and do SOTW with the co-op, but then add your own studies at home giving it a more biblical perspective. Following are two schedules using SOTW with other resources.

This first one uses MOH 2 as the spine for chronological order, and then adds SOTW 2, Kingfisher, and Usborne as go-alongs.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotw2moh2.htm

This one uses SOTW 2 as the spine (not exactly chronological) and then adds MOH 2 for biblical perspective and more details in church history:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotw2moh2dee.htm

Here's a third schedule that lines up SOTW with Veritas Press, but because VP is *very* Reformed, the emphasis is more on the church than anything else. (Just FYI... that may be what you want, though.)

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotwvp.htm

Then you could plan on using MFW during your second cycle through.

• 7 months later...

I, too, am in the same boat as the OP. After I complete SOTW 1 with dd, I will be moving to MFW RtR. I need something *scheduled* to put some "meat" onto the "bones" (I used the AG activities but not the extra books thus I felt history this year was lacking). I know that she will be young, but I am not planning on using ALL of the books (this time around). I am thinking I will cut out Augustus Caesar's World, Streams of Civilization, and possible Trial and Triumph and Human Body for Every Kid. She will get those when she is in 6th grade (as could the OP's dc). I have three dc so someone is always going to be on the young side. A BIG, HUGE plus is the program will be able to be used MANY times over for ALL of my dc. I guess if you break it down to what age gets what books, it is like Biblioplan...but it is much more than just history!

I was drawn to it mainly because it has the Christian view I believe SOTW is severely lacking, it has Apologia Astronomy scheduled (which I was planning on using anyway), and it has Fine Arts scheduled. Again, if it is not SCHEDULED, I usually do not do it (at least not now with a little one crawling around and another beginning to read).;)

So, does any one think that is doable?:confused: How does that sound OP?

• 3 months later...

Against the recommendations of experienced MFW users, I began this school year with MFW RtoR. I have a 2nd grader who can read absolutely anything and a 4th grader who is a strong reader. We also do Classical Conversations. I chose MFW because of the schedule and the Biblical integration.

First of all, let me say that MFW is a fantastic curriculum! The integration of material/topics across subjects is terrific. But now, looking back, I wish that I would have waited on RtoR and went with a program more suited for a 2nd & 4th grader.

FYI--SOTW does not begin until week 14. The spine used to study Ancient Rome (weeks 1-13) is "Augustus Caesar's World." IMO, this book is beautifully written, but was a difficult read aloud for my ds to get through--and they LOVE history! The in depth history readings are from "Streams of Civilization" and are usually for older students.

I was excited about the art and music lessons that were scheduled, so I purchased "God & the History of Art". Again, this is a terrific book, but I discovered that Berry Stebbing's book for younger children, "I can Do All Things" was more appropriate for my art loving boys. So, we followed the once a week music appreciation lessons, but not the art lessons.

I believe that all of the read aloud books are very good, but some of them will probably be more appreciated and enjoyed by older children.

Since we do Classical Conversations, we skipped the MFW Bible memory work. We did the "English from the Roots Up" lessons, but I did not test the boys--again because we do CC on Fridays. For handwriting, I used copywork pages that followed our Bible passages from CC. Again, skipping MFW's recommendations!

By the time I got to week 14, I realized that I was practically doing my own thing!

The bottome line: I decided to table our MFW lesson plans for this semester. My boys are young and I've discovered that their elementary years are too short to spend time using materials that are not truly suited for their age. I'm not at all saying that I don't want to stretch them and challenge them--I do! But, I also want them to have a love for learning. Choosing well written, high interest, age appropriate books will help them to feel the joy! KWIM?

I, too, would not recommend RtoR for a 2nd & 4th grader. If you truly need a schedule and you want to do SOTW, then maybe you could use Biblioplan. I realize that they don't have comments, so perhaps you could purchase Truthquest and coordinate the two resources. Read TQ to educate yourself and share what you feel appropriate with your children.

Best wishes to you as you search for curricula!

Hmm....I have to say I'm quite disappointed to hear you say this. If I continue with MFW's cycle I would most likely be doing RTR myself with a 2nd and 4th grader. They specifically say you can add your 2nd or 3rd grader if you have an older student doing the same guide. This makes me really wonder if I need to start looking for something else. Do you think waiting another year would have made a difference (3rd and 5th) or do you think the material would have still been over their heads?

I don't want to be a discourager! Maybe MFW will work for someone else who has a 2nd & 4th grader. MFW is a great program. I certainly think that even one year in maturity (3rd & 5th grade) would make a difference. A 5th grader would be fine with RtoR. However, 3rd grader would probably not enjoy all of the scheduled resources. (Not that our children need to enjoy everything we ask them to read!!) In this case, you could easily make more use of the book basket selections. That is one feature of MFW that I adore.

For us, I felt that we were changing or omitting the schedule to the point that I hardly recognized it!

I suggest that anyone looking at MFW RtoR for younger children look closely at "Augustus Caesars World", "Streams of Civilization", "Trial & Triumph", "God and the History of Art" and the read aloud selections. You know your children best and you know the extent to which you would be willing to tweak the schedule.

In so many ways, I wish I would have discovered MFW when my children were just beginning school.

Hmm....I have to say I'm quite disappointed to hear you say this. If I continue with MFW's cycle I would most likely be doing RTR myself with a 2nd and 4th grader. They specifically say you can add your 2nd or 3rd grader if you have an older student doing the same guide. This makes me really wonder if I need to start looking for something else. Do you think waiting another year would have made a difference (3rd and 5th) or do you think the material would have still been over their heads?

Jennifer, this recommendation is assuming that you do K, 1st, Adventures (2nd gr.), ECC (3rd gr.), and CTG (4th gr.) in that order. So at that point your oldest would be in 5th grade when doing RTR. Which I think is perfectly appropriate. My girls were were 6th/7th, 3rd/4th, and preschool when we did RTR, and there was something there for everyone.... obviously adjusted for age, ability, and interest level. I did do the reading aloud of ACW because of content, and in fact, Marie gives you warnings in the TM and has you skip some sections. I would NOT hand this book over to someone that young to read independently, no matter how strong of a reader they are. :001_unsure:

With other resources (and the chapter book read-alouds), we would all take turns reading from those.

With Streams, I read aloud the assigned passages, and sometimes I skipped them altogether. It just depended on what it was and what everyone's interest level was like that day. If I had an older student doing RTR with us, I might assign her more reading and projects from this book, and the TM does have it assigned for "advanced" students.

We didn't use God and the History of Art. I'll be having my high schooler use it, though, and I *may* have my middle dd do parts of it, I don't know yet. It says this resource is intended for ages 10 and above. (And I would say it's a "maybe" for a 10yo... some 10yo's are ready to do more things like this, and some aren't.)

HTH. RTR has been our favorite year so far! :001_smile:

There's a lot of "heavy" topics in RTR. It really is geared toward Logic stage students. Reading ability isn't the only you should consider when choosing curriculum, but mental maturity as well.

Okay, going back and refreshing my memory on the rest of this thread.... Yes, I still stand by this comment. :) I wouldn't do RTR with children where the *oldest* child is only 2nd grade.

If you continue with MFW's cycle and they hit 4th grade as RTR -- it's fine. My oldest started ECC in 2nd grade (before ADV) was written and it worked fine to grow through the program.

I think in Angela's case she is saying that as the first program in MFW, starting in RTR didn't work as smoothly as it did for someone like my kid who grew up through the program years.

We were using just MFW stuff and other things added were not academic co-ops stuff. We added dance, library programs, etc....

And the year we did RTR, I had 4th grader and 1st grader listening in to the program when it made sense for her to listen. the younger one liked the science a lot and coloring pages and focused on her own 3R's.

-crystal

Okay, going back and refreshing my memory on the rest of this thread.... Yes, I still stand by this comment. :) I wouldn't do RTR with children where the *oldest* child is only 2nd grade.

Not the oldest.......I was talking about a 4th and 2nd grader (and a K tagalong as well) It seems if I did Adventures for 1st grade I would need to do something else before starting CTC so I would end up with a 5th, 3rd, and 1st at RTR. I'm planning on using GTG for K and so I would be skipping ECC.

Not the oldest.......I was talking about a 4th and 2nd grader (and a K tagalong as well) It seems if I did Adventures for 1st grade I would need to do something else before starting CTC so I would end up with a 5th, 3rd, and 1st at RTR. I'm planning on using GTG for K and so I would be skipping ECC.

Right. My comment about the oldest being 2nd grade was referring to the OP. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Is your 4th grader your oldest? I did RtR with my older dd when she was in 8th. My younger dd was in 1st. She sat in and listened but doesn't remember much. I really didn't push her. I think that if you have a 2nd and 4th grader following along with an older sibling, that's fine, just have a different set of expectations. I think that's what MFW would say. If your oldest is in 4th and the 2nd grader is tagging along, I would look at something else. Pick a different year of MFW to go with. My 3rd grader is currently doing ADV and loving it. This sets us up to go through the cycle (if I choose to) by 8th and begin the cycle again in 9th.

Just to agree with another poster. "Augustus Caesar's World" really went over my younger's head. Honestly, it was pretty jumpy all over the place. I would choose a different book to cover this time period if I were to do RTR again. Come to think of it, the read alouds were older too. All in all, not a curriculum for under the 3rd/4th grade set IMHO.

If you follow the MFW cycle exactly and used all of their years you would get to RTR by 5th grade, which would mean I would also have a 3rd grader. (and 1st) MFW encourages you to fold your younger kids into the cycle, and in fact, that is one of their biggest selling points for me. However, it sounds like the majority is in agreement that the material would be over their heads at that age?

If you follow the MFW cycle exactly and used all of their years you would get to RTR by 5th grade, which would mean I would also have a 3rd grader. (and 1st) MFW encourages you to fold your younger kids into the cycle, and in fact, that is one of their biggest selling points for me. However, it sounds like the majority is in agreement that the material would be over their heads at that age?

It's not over the heads of the oldest at that age. It's written for them. It wasn't even over the head of my oldest at 4th grade when she "grew up" through the program. We followed the cycle too (because we started in 2003 before ADV was written).

There are notes on how to skip the "advanced" assignments for younger siblings. Parts of Augustus Caesar World are "drier" read than other books. But I don't think SOTW is a problem. Or the other books. And book basket is so flexible b/c it includes multiple age books.

the science -- is appropriate for elementary multi age teaching.

It gets easier to fold in the kids and teach as a family as everyone gets older. If parts are over the head of little ones, they get to draw a picture, or read book basket, or just join in the craft.

-crystal