Menu

My 10 year old wants to learn guitar

but his poor hands can't stretch around the guitar we have. Should I try and find a 3/4 guitar or are there things he could learn on this one that will help him get ready for when his hands grow? I don't want to discourage his interest, but he gets very frustrated on the big guitar.

but his poor hands can't stretch around the guitar we have. Should I try and find a 3/4 guitar or are there things he could learn on this one that will help him get ready for when his hands grow? I don't want to discourage his interest, but he gets very frustrated on the big guitar.

I'm no expert - I know very little about music. But, the 3/4 has been great for Luke. He really enjoys playing and I"m glad we splurged for a smaller guitar for him.

will hold a tune. There are a lot on the market that size that aren't really very high quality. Make sure it has geared tuning pegs. I am glad to have gotten my guys a 3/4, because now they have moved on to the full-sized instruments and I can dink around on the little one! I have very small hands and have trouble with some of those bar chords.

Also, I think something that's just as important for a beginner is the action of the instrument, ie, how high the strings sit above the fret board (which translates into how difficult it is to get the correct sound when you press down on the strings). Low action is good for a beginner (as well as for a perpetual amateur like me!).

Ds 9 started guitar lessons a year ago, and we debated about whether to invest in a 3/4 size guitar for him. In his case, his guitar teacher felt it was more a matter of practice than the size of the guitar, and suggested we invest in one good guitar rather than buy a 3/4 size guitar which we would have to replace in just a couple of years anyway.

FWIW, we looked at beginner guitars, most of which were in the $180-200 range, and at the advice of his guitar teacher, we decided to buy this Enrique C Model. It arrived via Fed Ex within about 4 days and the choice of a nylon case or a chip board case was included in the cost. It's a wonderful guitar; in fact it's so well made that his guitar teacher bought one for himself to cart back and forth for lessons so that he could leave his more expensive guitar at home. We have been thrilled with it.