Menu

Video Text Algebra - Likes and dislikes?

We have really struggled with Algebra, trying everything from Jacobs to Saxon to Lial's. A friend suggested using VT Algebra and said her dc's did great with it. I did a little searching here but didn't see exactly what I am looking for.

Can you give me an honest assessment from those who have used it?

I have a math hating/musician

programs that didn't work Lials, Chalkdust, and Teaching Textbook

Videotext was just right for him

videotext does not teach algebra in a traditional manner but everything is covered as it stated it teaches the reason math, it does not use formulas

My son feels really confident in math now, so it has been worth it

I plan on using videotext geometry also, this curriculum has just clicked for him

I have only had to help him a few times. He has really grasp the concept through the video program on his own.

Well, I can't really break it down into components for you, because I didn't go through it with my son. My husband helped him whenever he needed any help. Everything is broken down into very simple steps.

There's a booklet of notes that lays out all the info that's in the videos so that the student does not have to take notes as they watch the video. This booklet will give them the step by step info they need to work the problems if they don't remember what was in the video, and don't want to re-watch the video. In fact, I remember that whenever my husband did have to help him, he inevitably said, "Why it's right here, son, all you have to do is look at the steps." (My extremely right-brained son is very geometry oriented, rather than algebra oriented. He didn't want to write down steps and this would often throw him off in his signage, etc. We drug him through algebra kicking and screaming, LOL.)

There's a book of assignments and a test or quiz (separate books) for every few assignments. If you have problems and need more practice, you can do the B level as well as the A level of each.

I believe there might even be some extra practice problems available online, although we never used that.

These modules combine pre-algebra and algebra in the first year's worth of work. They combine Algebra I and II with some trig/pre-calc practice in the second year. There's not a lot of repitition as I understand it, as there is with some texts or courses. So I suppose it's a stream-lined way to go through algebra.

Now, if my son were a math person and intended on majoring in math and/or science, I probably would have used a much more involved form of programming, but he's not that sort of person and will not major in those areas. This provided a solid way for us to cover the basics of upper level maths that needed to be covered.

My son returned to private school last year. He took geometry with the understanding that if he did okay in it they would grant him the Algebra I credit. He did and they did. This year, he took trig/pre-calc with the understanding that if he did okay in that through the first half they would grant him the Algebra II credit. He did and they did. So, even though he took his maths out of their normal sequence of Alg I, Geom., Alg II, then Trig/Pre-Calc, he still remembered enough and was able to do a satisfactory job in their coursework. He may take Calculus next year. We're just not sure yet....

So I think that VideoText does provide a viable alternative for at least some kids.....

Thanks. My friend used it and loves it. Her hs level son actually scored to take Calculus at the local cc after VT Algebra and Geometry. I thought that was pretty impressive. I'm just very unfamiliar with it and looking at the site didn't really help me too much.

We are almost finished with VT Algebra. We are loving it. My daughter is doing very well and really understanding what she is doing. I bought a Forester's text to use as a 'make sure you are understanding so try some of these problems' book that we use occasionally. She finds those problems easy. I plan to continue with their geometry program.

Heather

It took me awhile to figure out how to manage all the different components, but by the middle of the first module things fell into place. My son loved it from the beginning, but liked some presenters more than others.

The one quibble I have with the author's approach is on the issue of note-taking. I agree that one should not try to take notes during the video portion; you're plenty busy with the "watch, pause, discussion, watch more" routine. However, I did require my son to begin each day with making notes of the previous day's lecture in a spiral notebook. It's a good way to review for the frequent quizzes. I kept my own notes, and it was interesting to watch his progress. When ds was prepping for the SAT/ACT he asked for my notes on the beginning modules, but by the time he'd reached the end his set of notes was better than mine.

FWIW, since that time, he's taken the SAT once,the ACT twice, and the placement exam for the local CC; the second time for the ACT he used old VT exams to prepare for the algebra portions of the math. He felt that worked better for him than any other math review we used.

Fast forward; he used VT Algebra, and all the Geometry modules published as of 12/08. His test scores were high enough that he was able to skip all the remedial math courses and go straight to a college algebra course this spring. He's doing well on both the exams and presentations. BTW, my son struggled with math for many years. A friend lent us VT after I decided that our first try at algebra (Jacobs) did not "stick".

No curriculum works for everyone, but VT was what my son needed. He's gone from being someone who dreaded math to feeling reasonably confident although he doesn't appear to be a "mathy" person.

HTH,

Martha

PS If you have specific questions about how to use VT on a day to day basis I'll try to remember some details, but it's been awhile. Maybe it's a coincidence, but my son prefers music to math any day. BTW, his algebra instructor is also a keen musician; that's been an encouragement to ds!

The people I have known who have used VT have not continued with it. I understand that there wasn't enough review between the sections. Both families have switched to TT and are happy with that. You may want to consider their Algebra book. I have used their Geometry and it is good; math is fun with TT.

I would look at their samples to see if it works for you. It's a big investment, so best to make sure. They used to send out samples, but now I think they have them online. It was a bit too much "about math" for my family, rather than just using math or doing math like we're used to in Singapore. But some as you see love it :001_smile:

Math Relief is another Algebra option, if you haven't considered it already. A simple guy who's just plain gifted at teaching Algebra.

So many choices... so few students!

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I really liked TT. We switched to VT because we had concerns about TT being "enough". VT is much better when speaking of content. However.....I don't like VT. My son is ok with it. There is NO review between concepts. Because of this, we've gone to the website and printed off the extra practice problems. When we got stuck we would call for assistance. There is never anyone available right away. When someone did call me back (they did so within a couple of hours), he didn't sound thrilled. He also informed me that the extra practice problems are not designed to be extra practice; they are considerably harder and designed to challenge students who need a challenge. Okay, well, extra practice means extra practice to me. They do teach the why of things, but I'm the type of person that works better with formulas. My son does alright with it, but we often get stuck and have to muddle through.

With that said, I would say that it is a very good program if it fits with you and your dc.

Val

Dd13 is about 1/2 way through VT Algebra Module C. It is definitely not set up like a traditional algebra program. It is broken into bite size pieces that build on each other. I like how they explain math instead of just teaching formulas. It does require mastery of a lesson before moving on, and it does require a deeper thought process than many programs. If you just want to be shown the formula so you can memorize the steps and get through the work, VT is not a good option. But if you want to understand the concepts inside and out, then VT may be a good fit.

I have been very pleased with its comprehensiveness and have not felt the need to supplement.

Guest Katia

VT was not a good fit with my music/language loving dd. There was not enough practice and, well, most of the time she was just lost.

Since I can't teach math, she tried TT, but things still weren't clicking.

Enter: Life of Fred. She did fab with this....the author gets right back with any questions you have (next day for us)......it's fun and interesting.....covers more than most high school texts.....and you simply can not beat the price!

BTW, as an aside, TT works very well for my younger dd....she uses it as a supplement to Life of Fred.

BTW, as an aside, TT works very well for my younger dd....she uses it as a supplement to Life of Fred.

I'm planning to do the same in the fall. Do you use TT & LOF concurrently or one after the other? If concurrently, do you try to match up the topics?

Thanks!

Guest Katia
I'm planning to do the same in the fall. Do you use TT & LOF concurrently or one after the other? If concurrently, do you try to match up the topics?

Thanks!

We've done it different ways at different times. The first year we used Life of Fred was when dd was doing TT Geometry because I wanted her to keep current in her algebra skills (she had already done TT Algebra 1 & 2), so we started LOF Advanced Algebra. She did them concurrently at first, and then as the LOF lessons got longer and harder we switched to TT on M-Th and LOF on F one week, then the next week was LOF M-Th and TT on F.

This year, we started with TT Trig/PreCalc M-Th and LOF Advanced Algebra (yep, still doing that one) on F, but after doing the first half of TT we have switched to M-F of LOF. She hit a barrier in TT so we put it aside. She'll finish LOF Adv. Algebra the first week in April, and we'll move back to the TT Trig/PreCalc M-Th, and pick up the LOF Geometry for F.

Oh, and over the summer (after TT Geometry), she did one lesson of LOF Adv. Algebra on F, and one lesson on LOF Geometry M-Th. We'll just continue with the Geometry from April of this year through the summer and we hope to be into LOF Trigonometry next fall.

I like having the two programs and being able to move back and forth between the two. We're kind of skipping around, but I think it's helping her to get a broader view of math and more exposure to different things without forgetting anything. (I hope)

I wish I had known about Life of Fred before we started TT, because it would have been our one-and-only high school math program.

PS: And my older dd, that used LOF for a bit and is now in college: she has finished all her college math requirements and is still planning this summer to continue on with learning math using LOF. I find this amazing. This gal truly HATES math, but she loves Fred. It makes math make sense to her.

I have nothing but good to say about LOF.

PSS: This is getting long, I know......but younger dd that is using both TT and LOF......she's been doing practice ACT tests.......and when she was just using the TT she was scoring 'ok' in the math section ; but when we put the TT aside and picked the LOF back up.....her scores have increased dramatically. Dramatically! And consistently. I was SO surprised. Fred really helps you think math. That's all I can figure.