Menu

Can a non-mathy parent utilize Chalkdust effectively?

My 12yo dd has been using TT Alg 1 this year, and we are in the process of choosing a different program for next year. We are comparing TT to Chalkdust and Videotext. At this point, Chalkdust is her favorite. She liked how things were explained in the samples better. Anyway, while I am glad that she gravitated toward what is said to be the more in-depth program, I am worried a great deal!

I am NOT a mathy person. I took my one math class that I had to have in college, and ran! My biggest concern with Chalkdust, is that it looks to me like there is not a solution for all of the problems, and perhaps no answers for all of the problems either. I can't even comprehend trying to correct her work, without the solutions written out for me, or even the answer. Am I correct in this? I hope not...

I also, have not seen the textbooks for Chalkdust. On the website, it makes it sound like a student could use different books?? This seems a little scary to me. Almost sounds disjointed??

I'm really feeling that it could be impossible for her to use this program, if the video lessons don't directly correspond to the text, and if we don't have a great deal of guidance with answers. Am I stuck using a program for her, that is "easier," because I don't get math?

So many people seem to love Chalkdust. I just can't imagine that it is really as complicated to use, as it seems like it might be.

TIA!!!

Dana Moseley's teaching is great! Chalkdust can be used with other textbooks, although we're using theirs for geometry. I think there could be a way of using Chalkdust with other texts by lining up the scope and sequence in the books.

I had originally purchased Chalkdust Algebra, as well, for my middle daughter, but when I took a close look at the text compared to Lial's Introductory Algebra, which we had been using, I felt that the Lial's text had much better explanations in the text than Chalkdust did. So, since I'm familiar with Lial's, I stuck with that for that child. I did not look at the solutions manual for Chalkdust Algebra---I only compared the text. The solutions manual for geometry seems to be pretty good; I think most of the problems are worked out, but not all of them, although perhaps the ones that are not worked out are self-explanatory. So far my oldest daughter seems to be learning the geometry well. I've thought about buying the Algebra DVD's only and using them with my middle daughter, to coincide with the Lial's book.

I know there are others on these boards who have used Chalkdust more extensively than we have. So far, our experience with the program has been a good one. If I were to "rate" the DVD's, text, and solutions manual, I would give the DVD's (and Dana Moseley's instruction) a 10, the text a 6-7, and the same with the solutions manual.

I hope this helps!

We're trying to decide between Jacobs and Chalkdust Geometry for next year. The main concern I have regarding Chalkdust is the textbook sold as a package with their dvds, Geometry: An Integrated Approach by Roland Larson. The Amazon reviews for this book are abysmal (one and a half stars out of five). Admittedly, most of the negative reviews are from somewhat inarticulate students, but I'm still concerned.

Is the book really that bad?

Has anyone successfully used Chalkdust with a different text?

We're using Chalkdust Geometry & Basic Math. I too took my only required math course in college and ran. But, I have followed my girls through Geometry so I've relearned alot. The solutions are included in the solutions manual unless they're very obvious. You could use this with other books while lining up the topics. That's what I'm doing with Basic Math. That said, I don't have a lesson from Chalkdust for each topic for the book I chose BJU7.

The explanations from Mosely are thorough, but I do have to watch the videos with my dd, so I'm learning it too, so I can answer her questions if she gets stuck. She gets stuck everyday and she's good in math.

The Chalkdust textbook for Geometry does not provide enough information in the examples to be able to use it alone IMO or to be able to provide help if you haven't watched the DVD.

Other children may be different and not require parental assistance with Chalkdust. Some have their kids watch the DVDs twice (mine would throw a fit-she does not like most DVD teachers). If you don't want to possibly watch the DVDs with your child and take a full hour of your day doing math with them or being available at least during that time for questions then Chalkdust may not be for you.

I might sound negative here. Chalkdust is a GOOD program, I think it just requires some knowledge/involvement from the parent or a child that's willing to watch the DVDs more than once.

HTH,

Michelle

or individual problems so you don't need to worry. We haven't needed that service, but individuals who have said they get a response typically in one day. One individual even posted that he will call if the e-mail doesn't clarify it. This service is included free with a new purchase. However, if you purchase the books used, you'll have to pay $75 (??) for this service.

It would be easiest for you to use the books that come with the course. However my ds won't look at the book for instruction, so it could be done with a different book for problems.

Thank you for your input. Dh is currently reviewing math programs to help me out on this, and so far, prefers VT for our situation. Perhaps that is a better program for us. The presentation of all the materials, including written text and solutions, is extremely important to us. I'm trying hard to find something that works well in our situation.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! :eek:

I am using Chalkdust Geometry. I love Mr. Mosley's expanations, but I absolutley HATE the textbook. There is a new textbook however, so it may be much better than the old one. I am also doing Chalkdust Pre-Algebra, and I really like that textbook. I also own the Algebra 1 course, and that textbook looks good too.

I agree with Michelle in AL; Chalkdust is great, but I believe that a parent should watch the lessons with their dc and be available to help if need be. Of course, I feel that way about ANY math program.

HTH

Michelle

We are using CD PreAlg w/ ds 12. The dvd's w/ Prof Mosely are great -- but success w/ this program hinges on the parent being able to cement/walk through the problems later, IMHO. My husband reviews and helps w/ all my son's math issues throughout the week -- AND they spend an hour or 2 on Saturdays going through concepts to make sure ds gets it (to my dh's satisfaction).

I don't think you could stick in the dvd and have your dc watch it and expect NOT to be involved w/ supplemental teaching by mom or dad. I am watching the dvd's w/ my son so I can help him if needed. But its dh who is mathy and can spot any gaps that my ds might have.

The complete solutions manual is fantastic. The book is thorough. I expect that same situation w/ the Larson text for Alg 1.

My dd did Saxon Algebra 2 this year with TT Geometry concurrently. She was able to do both with their videos with no help from me (thank goodness).

I'm looking at the Houghton Mifflin (sp?) website and have noticed that the Larson textbooks (even the latest ones that CD doesn't use) have videos by, gasp, Dana Mosely. Apparently he hasn't updated CD's videos (a company owned by his brother), but he has done current videos for the latest editions for HM? Perhaps he's answered some of the questions in the later editions that were problems for CD students (she says with a hopeful nod)?

Additionally, there's a service called smarthinking.com (one 't' not two) where people are on standby 24/7 for math problems. They will help your child work out math problems on a white board type technology on the computer. This is great for a non-mathy person like myself (statistics I'm really good at, but not this kind of math).

Check out the HM website for more info.

It is hard to know what to choose, even based on the samples. I wish that I could see samples of all of the print materials that go with all of these programs. I think that would help me make a sound decision. Our nearest conference is a long distance away however, and not until the end of June.

I do spend a great deal of time with my dd with her math lessons, however, my input in similar to what a fellow student would have to offer. My understanding of math is not on a "teacher level," but more on a student level. I learn, and make mistakes, and am confused, along with her.

At this point, she doesn't aspire to go into a math or science related field, but at the age of 12, I really don't know if I can bank on that. I want her to have wide-open options, and as much learning and understanding as possible when she goes off to college, whether it is a subject that I am highly comfortable with, or not.

Thanks so much!

It is hard to know what to choose, even based on the samples. I wish that I could see samples of all of the print materials that go with all of these programs. I think that would help me make a sound decision. Our nearest conference is a long distance away however, and not until the end of June.

I do spend a great deal of time with my dd with her math lessons, however, my input in similar to what a fellow student would have to offer. My understanding of math is not on a "teacher level," but more on a student level. I learn, and make mistakes, and am confused, along with her.

At this point, she doesn't aspire to go into a math or science related field, but at the age of 12, I really don't know if I can bank on that. I want her to have wide-open options, and as much learning and understanding as possible when she goes off to college, whether it is a subject that I am highly comfortable with, or not.

Thanks so much!

I was able to get some of the textbooks (even the teacher's edition) from our local interlibrary loan program. I had my dd sit down with all of them in front of her and compare style, wording, etc. She really wanted to get away from Saxon and ended up choosing Larson over Forester and Lial. Each child is different, however, so I would recommend doing this with your dd, too.

was that the Precalculus videos are geared towards the AP/Advanced/Honors student. So, yes, the Chalkdust videos are geared towards Middle/High school students, but the HM videos, also done by Dana Mosely, are geared more towards the more advanced student.

I ordered these videos yesterday, along with the AP student edition, TE annotated edition, and test bank. (I also saved $175 from the regular Chalkdust price of $515 for precalculus). I'll take a look at them when they arrive and let you know what we think. I don't think I'll be using them as an AP class per say, but just a higher level precalculus course.