Menu

Can someone help me with IEW?

RhondaM.

Today I bought both TWSS and SWI. I made my decision to buy this without ever looking at it...but just going by all the good I've heard about it over the years.

So I got it home today and realized that TWSS has Student Writing Workshops besides the other 6 teaching CDs.

OK..I knew there were lessons included with TWSS, but I thought they were just blended in with the teaching. I thought I was supposed to listen to TWSS unit I/II then, rather than having to come up w/ my own way of presenting what I had just learned back to my ds, I thought I was to have my ds listen to SWI unit I/II. Back and forth like that.

Is the SWI just an expanded SWW? Or is there additional information on the SWW that is not included in the SWI. In other words, does he work through SWW first, then SWI? Or skip SWW completely since I have SWI? I did listen to a portion of both the SWW and the SWI and they both start off with key word outlines. Plus I listened to a portion of TWSS. I'm just too tired to listen to any more so I'm hoping someone can answer my questions so we can start Monday as planned.

Thanks very much.

The SWW is a minute portion of the SWI. Just use the SWI and disregard the SWW.

Print out the SWI lesson plans and follow those for your schedule. Your back and forth idea should work out just fine.

Print out the lesson plans?? I didn't even know there were any to print out. :rolleyes: It came with a packet of papers though...is it the same as the printable lesson plans you speak of or something else entirely?

Thanks again.

I bought both the TWSS and SWI. After seeing the TWSS dvds and looking through the TWSS I determined the TWSS was enough structure for me to teach writing, be able to truly go at dc's pace, and intertwine writing assignments. I returned the SWI portion (I did call prior). I didn't watch the SWI's and haven't gotten to the SWW portion, (I'm on disc 4 of the TWSS), but the packet that came with the SWI was quite similar if not the same thing that is printable on the IEW site for free, now the free lessons to refer the student to watch a certain part of the SWI. You can still use the paragraphs for lessons and a guide to get you started. My concern with the SWI was if my ds doesn't learn the dress ups as fast as they teach them and writing becoming more of it's own subject. There are also lessons shared on the IEW yahoo site, right now we are working through the Magic Schoolbus paragraphs.

Thanks for your description. I'll be teaching both my 6th and 9th grader this year with the TWSS. I bought the SWI C primarily for my 9th grader. Do you know anything about lesson plans printable from the SWI?

Thanks again.

Click on the SWI and there is a big star that says free lesson plans, I'll try to attch the link to SWI C and SWI CC

http://www.writing-edu.com/writing/SWI_C_New_lessons.pdf

http://www.writing-edu.com/writing/SICC_C_New_Daily_Lessons.pdf

Thanks..yes, I've seen those and had already downloaded them. I think I must have been confused about what KRenee was trying to tell me. I thought she was telling me that there were lesson plans on the CD that I could print up...but I couldn't figure out where they were on the CD. She must have meant the plans from the link you gave me. I'm slow at getting things sometimes.:rolleyes:

Thanks again very much.