Menu

Can someone give me some jr. high math wisdom?

Danestress

My boys are finishing up BJU 6th grade math this year. We used RightStart and loved it, but finished all but the geometry, and chose BJU for this year - it's been fine. My boys are good math students - not brilliant, but able to handle everything and perform very well.

When I look at the 7th grade BJU, it seems like it's so much review. We review every concept all the time (BJU is great for that) already. So I feel like they will enter 7th grade having pretty much mastered the 6th grade material, and don't need all that review.

It seems like every Jr. High math program is this way - the same material every year, but just in a bit more detail, until they get to pre algebra.

I think 6th grade it too young for pre-algebra. I don't really want them in Algebra in 7th grade. I think. Doesn't that seem too young?

The elementary math progression seems very good to me. The High school math progression makes sense. But jr. high seems like a muddle!

Life of Fred? Or some real life math projects like designing and administering a survey and then tabulating the results and presenting them in graphs and charts. Or requiring them to keep a detailed account of where their money goes. Also reading some math biographies. These are things I would like to include in Math lessons, but don't often have the time.

If your year is light you might have time for projects like this. Just a creative thought.

Shannon

I'll second the LoF option. We decided to do that for 7th and I have been very pleased. It makes you think differently. Dd is grasping math better now than ever before. My problem is 8th grade. Seriously looking at MUS. But, that is another topic for another thread. :)

I can't speak from first hand experience (my son is not yet 5 :lol:) but I've been "looking ahead" and am intrigued both by The Life of Fred option, and by a book called "Russian Math 6", which based on the previews (and user reviews here) looks like my kind of thing.

You may want to take a peek.

http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

Bill

They are at the age of puberty--and while they may know their basic facts and opperations they are still 'short' on the logic end of development.

This is WHY the 6-7th grade math texts look nearly identical.

Sure there are a FEW exceptions--but I'm talking about a MAJORITY of students who would do MUCH MUCH better in Algebra and above if they only had one more year of maturity.

I agree with the poster who said to make it a 'fun' year. It is perfectly FINE if it is stress-free too. Most likely there are other subject areas that could use the extra attention.

Attacking Algebra too early and then 'moving slowly' can really hamper a students confidence. Lack of confidence is a HUGE issue that I come across in my tutoring students.

I have decided to skip 6th and 7th grade math and place my dd11 in pre-algebra. I think it is worth a try. She knows her facts and math has been too easy for her. I feel she needs something to think about before she gets bored with it. If it doesn't work, I can just purchase a 7th grade math curriculum.

This is the beauty of homeschooling.;)

Personally, I would worry more about boredom and creating a dislike for mathematics than a lack of confidence.

I recently listened to the tape of SWB's lecture on WTM in the logic stage. Here's what she had to say about math:

(1) Make sure the basics are absolutely solid.

(2) This is where she does consumer math. Consumer math is a great way to to show the student why you need math, and it can be a place holder until the student's mind has matured enough for algebra.

That said, she said there is no harm in starting algebra as long as you stop if there is a sign that they aren't getting the abstract parts. If they understand, continue. But if you have a few false starts before they are ready, that's fine.