Menu

Do I really need TWSS or can we just use SWI?

I have a friend who just finished SWI-C with her high schoolers and is starting SICC-C, and she has borrowed my TWSS DVDs several times this year to watch some of the units she didn't quite get. She hasn't watched the whole thing though, so I'm not sure that you really need it absolutely at hand. If there's someone you can borrow it from here-and-there, that would be ideal.

I have a friend who just finished SWI-C with her high schoolers and is starting SICC-C, and she has borrowed my TWSS DVDs several times this year to watch some of the units she didn't quite get. She hasn't watched the whole thing though, so I'm not sure that you really need it absolutely at hand. If there's someone you can borrow it from here-and-there, that would be ideal.

Thanks. I will see if someone local has it before I buy.

I am working through it with my ds. So far, It has gone well and we haven't had any issues that needed more explanation. I am sure it would be richer if I had the TWSS, but I didn't want to invest in it this late in his senior year. Perhaps I will for the next child.

I think I am going to get SWI and try it. If we get stuck I can order TWSS then.

Jean,

I used SWI with my 3 older kids this summer so they would be up to speed for SWI-CC this year with our co-op. IEW was completely new to us. We used SWI without any problems. I felt Pudewa's teaching on SWI was more than adequate to complete the assignments. If you have questions, there is a very active Yahoo group.

HTH,

Lisa

Jean,

I used SWI with my 3 older kids this summer so they would be up to speed for SWI-CC this year with our co-op. IEW was completely new to us. We used SWI without any problems. I felt Pudewa's teaching on SWI was more than adequate to complete the assignments. If you have questions, there is a very active Yahoo group.

HTH,

Lisa

Thank you! This is very encouraging!

Jean,

HTH,

Lisa

I have both TWSS and SWI-C. I was told that I *needed* to watch TWSS first.

I disagree.

I think that Andrew does such a good job teaching in SWI-C that the background on TWSS isn't necessary, especially if you're doing the class WITH your child.

I agree also with the input re: the Yahoo group. It's very active, full of good counsel, and the files section is *fantastic*.

The one thing that TWSS did help me with was in knowing what to expect from my ds. But hey, you might not be a perfectionist like me who was pushing her son too hard. The best piece of advice I received was that it was OK to give ideas, and to model, model, model the writing. And to let my ds use my model as a starting point. Their success isn't measured by how good the kids' ideas are, but how well do they apply the writing instruction they receive.

Hope this makes sense! LOL