Menu

Can anyone tell me anything about Indianapolis??

I am sure you will get more detailed info from others, but I'll share what I know:D. I lived a couple hours away from Indy for several years- and I visited fairly frequently. I really like it there. They have a wonderful Children's Museum- a fun downtown- decent cost of living. Recently we considered moving to the Indy area- and the housing was much more affordable in the suburbs there than here and the yards were much bigger too. I am sure there are areas that you would want to stay away from, but I believe there are a lot of good choices in and around Indy. I think there are a lot of resources for homeschoolers there and homeschooling in Indiana is pretty uncomplicated. Where are you living now?

That's all I have for now... good luck!

Hi Kelly,

I have 5 sweeties too! And some that are the same ages! (13, 10, 6, 5, 21 mos).

I have lived in Indpls all of my life. I love it here. It is much more quiet here than in other big cities such as Atlanta, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Charlotte, NC. Lots of attractions and nice things for the family - museums, football stadium, motor speedway (500), zoo etc.

Our economy is down but is still doing well compared to others. Cost of living and housing is affortable and very reasonable.

I think it is a good place for children - Crime is very, very low. I especially like that it is probably one of the most homeschool friendly states too. You are only required to keep "attendance" records - you don't have to answer to anyone and you don't have to take yearly standardized tests.

HTH!

Cari :001_smile:

We moved here 3 years ago. We came from Buffalo, NY. I love it here! The housing is cheap. We have a brand new 2200 squ ft house (no basement) for 135,000. Our property taxes are only $110 a month, as to the $6,000 we had in NY! We live in the NE suburbs in Noblesville. Everything is within a short distance. We have early springs and late falls! Snow is lacking. We only shoveled twice this year. (I am from the North so I like a lot of snow.) We do get a lot of spring storms. This I can do without. You'll love watching the weather channel in the middle of the night! Homeschooling laws are great. No requirements except keeping track of what days you homeschool. You don't have to hand anything in, but need to keep track in case you are asked. We have a ton of co-ops. I don't take our kids yet. I like to be a hermit. LOL! No, I just don't like doing too many things outside of the house. It cramps our schedule and then I feel frazzled to get everything done. We have churches galore! Even ours is great, although I am married to the associate pastor! What else? I love that I can answer someones question!

Does that mean public school? If so you might like Hamilton County. It is the best as far as school districts. Carmel township has the toughest, I heard, but they have higher taxes and house prices. Fishers (Hamilton Southeast schools) are awesome and highly recommended. We live in Noblesville. They have pretty good schools too, but HSE (Hamilton Southeast) is better.

I'm in Indy here too and love it. What others have said is true. If you are continuing to homeschool, it is great around here. . .lots of support and very common. Do you have any idea what side of the city/suburbs you're interested in? You are welcome to email me privately for specific answers to questions.

Goodness, thank you so much everyone! We are only at the beginning of looking at the area, and the job, but I sooooo appreciate the good vibes! We were going to go back to public school (kids' choice) if we stayed here, like we were planning. However, if we do a move, it is possible that we will continue to homeschool. So, I appreciate both the homeschool and public school info! We are from small towns in the western states, so Indianapolis seems enormous to us, and it is nice to hear that it has a "small town" feel. Seems like a wonderful place.

We hear that the job dh is considering, is on the North side of town, so everyone from that office lives that direction?

I did look at housing prices yesterday, and was astounded at how low they are! It looks like we would be rolling back the clock about 8 years, for what we are used to out here. That would be wonderful. It all looks very lovely too. That was nice to see!

Thanks!!

First, let me say that I'm astounded at how many of us are here in Indy. We should have our own WTM Indy group!

Indy is a super place to live and homeschool. There are soooooo many options for homeschoolers and so many other venues within driving distance (Cincy, Chicago, Louisville...). It really is a nice size city--large enough to offer museums, theaters and such but not so big that it's overwhelming. You'll like Indy!