Menu

What math for 6th grade?

dorothy

Is dd supposed to be doing pre-algebra in 6th grade?

We are finishing R&S MATH 5 now and she has done fine with it. I am just not sure if it goes along a path to prepare her for higher maths in high school.

What is the proper sequence for math in middle school? If she should do pre-algebra in 6th, will you please recommend your favorite curriculum for that?

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat! We finished R&S 5 a week ago, and my plan is as follows:

Do R&S 7 (just began this). My plan is to skip R&S 6 so that we may do pre-algebra in 7th. I do not think most kids should do pre-algebra in 6th grade. The concepts are abstract, and unless your child has a highly developed brain for her age, it could lead to melt down. I have on hand Larson's pre-algebra, and R&S 7 will prepare dc for that. (But after completing R&S 5, my dc are not ready for it. Your dc may be more math minded and be more mature, only you can decided.) I have also ordered Lial's pre-algebra, and am going to evaluate the two. After settling on Pre-algebra for 7th, dc will take algebra in 8th. (Note that the pre-algebra is somewhat like the algebra I took in 8th grade way back when!)

I may have dc go through R&S 8 depending on when we finish up and how I feel about it. (I will order R&S 8 and see how it fits in.) I really like the concrete way R&S presents math and the practice it gives. I want my dc to be OVER ready for algebra to try to prevent shutdown. If we do R&S 8 then we'll keep going over the summers to keep them on track for geometry, alg 2, trig, and calc in HS.

So, this is my plan. Search the HS board for more info. I have posted there and others about this same problem. Jann in TX gave me great info on the Lial's series and how to proceed. I will probably end up using those. One thing for sure is that I do not personally care for Saxon.

Hope this helps.

Penny

Also, I got the Larson's book (the one Chalkdust uses) on Amazon for $8 with shipping. The Lials book was about the same price. It's cheap to buy these texts and evaluate!

In traditional texts they pop in a chapter of pre-algebra in 6th,7th and sometimes 5th. But 8th grade math is usually considered a pre-algebra text. Which really means they are solidifying ALL the basic concepts to move into Algebra.

Variables, Expressions, and Integers

Solving Equations

Multi-step Equations and Inequalities

Factors, Fractions, and Exponents

Rational Numbers and Equations

Ratio, Proportion, and Probability

Percents

Linear Functions

Real Numbers and Right Triangles

Measurement, Area, and Volume

Data Analysis and Probability

Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions

Angle Relationships and Transformations

EPGY considers their Honors Pre-Algebra to start in 7th grade, you'll find many homeschoolers start even earlier that that because of the 1 on 1 instruction. We used a bunch of stuff, or I should say we LOOKed at a bunch. We settled on Aufmanns Pre-Algebra done by Chalkdust Math.

All the comments I have read from users of R&S through 7th or 8th grade are that the dc were able to move right on to algebra...not prealgebra, but algebra.

If R&S is working for you right now, I see no reason to change until your dc finishes 7th or 8th and is going into algebra.

I've been mulling over 5th and 6th grade math for a few weeks now. I had just about decided on BJU when I got a good look at Horizons. Frankly I am impressed with Horizons and plan on using it for 5th and 6th. They end their program at 6th so I will be searching again for 7th and up - something I wanted to avoid. But, it looks like Horizons will be a good fit.