Menu

Caffeine vs. ADD drugs

Has anyone tried using caffeine vs. any meds for ADD?

I did a very UNscientific experiment today and I really believe my ds focused better. I know he zoomed through his math and even seemed to remember his 11 subtraction facts SO much better than before.

It worked for my son. We did expresso every morning. I was able to cut all meds. We are using fish oil now without the caffeine as my son is now 13 and that seems to be a perfect fit. My friend is using only fish oil with her 7 yo and she says it is working for him. He has tics and adhd.

I am having my son swallow nordic naturals and he is calm as can be.

We really don't have much problem with hyperactivity, just the focusing part. I'm going to try another Vault tomorrow before school to see if it was a fluke or not.

My dh is going to get us some Omega 3s and protein shakes. He is a Shaklee distributor so we're going to start there......if I can get my ds to take them (he's the 9 yr old).

We really don't have much problem with hyperactivity, just the focusing part. I'm going to try another Vault tomorrow before school to see if it was a fluke or not.

That is our problem. My son doesnt have the hyperactivity either. He does very well now with the omega alone. Up until about 5th grade he drank caffeine. I should try it again now...but having him home, I just keep reminding him to get back on task. Yesterday it took a ton of effort. We took forever to get through school.

This is a very interesting thread!

I have to admit, though, that I am not a regular coffee or tea or other caffeinated beverage drinker. I see other people (dh included) who seem to be addicted to caffeine. He tries to cut back, but slowly he ends up with more and more cups of coffee. It used to be a 6 pack of Pepsi, then he stopped that. Then it was coffee with cream and sugar, then cutting out the cream and sugar, then one or two cups, then up to a pot a day.

Because of this I've not wanted to encourage my ADHD children with coffee. Does anyone know the long term affects?

No, which is of concern to me....also the sugar. My ds isn't overweight, but he does have a little fluff in the tummy area that I'm concerned about just because diabetes runs in my family.

I've talked with several friends who keep telling me to NOT do ADD meds because of the negative effect on their kids.....

It seems to me that if you do meds, you have one set of problems and if you do caffeine you have another set (or could). I thought about getting the Vault Zero but it has apartame in it...I don't want my ds drinking too much of that either! I get headaches when I drink any diet coke and my dh's sister developed problems with her foot until she cut it out. My dh drinks more than I'd like but I can't control what he does. I do refuse to buy it for him when I buy groceries though.

Yesterday, I decided to see how ds did without the Vault (Wed). It seemed to be a typical day for him. The day I tried the Vault was our OT day (Tues) and when we get home we usually only do reading, spelling and math. I got ds a Vault today before our co-op (12 oz Thurs vs. 20 oz on Tues). I didn't really see a difference in how he focused vs. a day without the vault. I think Monday will be the best day for me to test the difference between Wed (day without Vault) and Monday (day with 20 oz Vault). Fri is a lighter day for us although I could compare it with Tues. Mon and Wed will be more of the typical day so I could get a good comparison between the two...we do the same subjects, we don't have to leave the house before school, etc.

I wondered what would happen if I tried an Amp. It comes in Lemonade flavor. :tongue_smilie: The Amp has 142 mg of caffeine and the Vault has 115 mg. I guess I'll see once I compare this Wed to next Monday.