Menu

Who watched "Elizabeth", the movie w/ Cate Blanchett?

It seems, in looking on line, that there are actually TWO of these movies...Elizabeth: The Golden Age being the second. Unless I'm thoroughly confused, which is possible, the one I'm referring to is the first one. It is rated R. I'm trying to determine why, and whether a movie like this would be terribly inappropriate for a teen.

Doran

I'm trying to determine why, and whether a movie like this would be terribly inappropriate for a teen.

Doran

There is explicit sexuality--including one encounter whose overtones of violence and anger would make me restrict it even if I were comfortable with letting teens watch "love scenes."

The newest one just out on dvd. Cate Blanchett has done 2. I think the first was from the earlier years of her reign. This is a little later and involves Sir Walter Raleigh and the Spanish Armada.

It's very well done and shows the Spanish court eager to make England a Catholic country and put Mary, Queen of Scots, in charge. The costumes and settings are wonderful. It shows the conflicts someone in charge has to deal with. It helps to glance over the history of the period just to have some names and scenarios in mind beforehand (such as why Philip of Spain is so viscerally angry with Elizabeth).

Depends on your teen, I guess. There's a love scene that's a steamy start but not nude. There are also a couple dungeon scenes with people who have been hung up in cages, but nothing terribly gruesome by today's standards.

We found it very enjoyable -- but it was all adults watching.

...that the second movie is rated PG13 (although there is some quick from-behind nudity and a steamy love scene), if you wanted to watch it, instead. It's not a 'sequel' in the sense that you have to watch the first movie to 'get' the second, and it is interesting.

I decided to pass on it, for now, with my teens...but they're on the young side (almost 13 and almost 14). Depending on the ages of yours, and your concerns, it might be a better choice than the first. (I don't remember much about the first, but we just watched the second).