Menu

Where do these books fit in a read aloud list?

I've been making a list of books for read alouds or for independent reading for my dc. My list starts with Kindergarten and goes up to 6th grade. I have three books on my list that were recommended somewhere, but I don't know what grade would be best.

They're Charles Dickens' David Copperfield, The Old Curiosity Shop and Great Expectations.

What age/grade do you think these would fit into best? Would they fit into different age groups as a read aloud vs. independent reading? (I know in general you can read aloud books to a younger child than would be able to read the book independently).

I've been making a list of books for read alouds or for independent reading for my dc. My list starts with Kindergarten and goes up to 6th grade. I have three books on my list that were recommended somewhere, but I don't know what grade would be best.

They're Charles Dickens' David Copperfield, The Old Curiosity Shop and Great Expectations.

What age/grade do you think these would fit into best? Would they fit into different age groups as a read aloud vs. independent reading? (I know in general you can read aloud books to a younger child than would be able to read the book independently).

A lot depends on the child, but my guesses:

David Copperfield: RA--around 4th-6th grade. Self-read--around 7th-12th grade

Great Expectations: (I HATE this book, as did my sons, so I may not be judging it correctly.) RA--6th-9th. Self-read--9th-12th.

I haven't read The Old Curiosity Shop, so I can't place it well.

Thank you. I'm organizing my list by every two grades or so, K & 1st, 1st & 2nd, 3rd & 4th, 5th & 6th. And since my kids are still at the pre-K/K stage, I'm listing the books as if they were read alouds. I'll put these books on the list at the lowest grade, and if, when we get to that point, my dc aren't ready for them, we can put off reading those.

So does anyone know about The Old Curiosity Shop?

Edited by gardening momma

I also haven't read The Old Curiosity Shop. David Copperfield is extremely long and has one central character die. Great Expectations is shorter but it might be a good book to encounter once interest in the opposite sex has begun.

I'd die reading David Copperfield aloud (much as I love it) just because of the length. To be honest, I'd wait to do both of them as readers, whenever the child is ready for the heft and the language: some time between age 12 and 18....

Laura