Menu

Can you tell me more about GWG & Writing Tales?

Pster

I had posted this question when these boards first opened but only got 1 response - I still am curious to know more about them.

Would you use both of them? Or ....would that be too much overlap?

If you use WT1 - what do you do for grammar?

thinking for 3rd gr.....

My dd definitely needs to work on writing so maybe - focus on that and what is in WT1? Is GWG for 3rd? or maybe a higher grade?

GWG is language arts and includes topics like: nouns, verbs, spelling rules, sentences, diagramming, etc. GWG has books for grades: 1/2, 3, 4, 5, and is planning on having them up to 8th grade.

For 3rd grade, I would use both. GWG takes about 10-15 min. daily to do. NOTE: Unless you feel your 3rd grader is really grounded in language arts/grammar, then you could just use WT.

WT has language arts/grammar in it, but it isn't a language arts program. Some homeschoolers are satisfied with the amount of grammar in WT and don't add anything else to it. It is one of those things you have to decide for you and your child. I would encourage you to look at the table of contents for both curr.

I use WT1 w/ GWG 4.

~Tina

So if we finish up FLL - should we start in GWG3? How does GWG3 compare to FLL3? Do you happen to know?

I just looked online at FLL3 and it seems that "if" I go with FLL3 then I could wrap my memorization & copy work & dictation all in one. "IF" I use FLL3 - do I still need to use WT1? (now I'm confusing myself!! - there's just too many choices!)

ty

Yes, you would go into GWG 3.

I did get the chance to compare FFL 3 to GWG. If you want to read my thoughts on FLL 3 you can see my review HERE.

I would think you would still need WT1, if you wanted to teach writing at this grade level (3). FLL 3 is not a writing curriculum.

GWG takes about 10-15 min. to do. It covers a wide area of language arts (see my 1st post). It is something my son can do independently since all the instructions are written to the child and are easy to understand. It also includes review sections & with the review sections it tells you where you can find the information in the instruction book. I love that feature! :)

I am one of those that wait until a little later to teach writing. I think my children need to have a better understanding of grammar & reading really well. They do a little writing here and there with their notebooking assignments anyways, so I feel they are getting a little writing before we start a full course curr. on writing. And if my 3rd grader was a stronger reader, I might use WT1 with her now. It is a gentle approach to writing. I just love it! :D

HTH's~Tina

I had posted this question when these boards first opened but only got 1 response - I still am curious to know more about them.

Would you use both of them? Or ....would that be too much overlap?

If you use WT1 - what do you do for grammar?

thinking for 3rd gr.....

My dd definitely needs to work on writing so maybe - focus on that and what is in WT1? Is GWG for 3rd? or maybe a higher grade?

I have a 3rd grader who is a reluctant writer. We do R&S 3 along with WT1. I do have to simplify WT b/c he gets a bit over-whelmed. For the writing part of WT I have him write part of his rough draft and I will write the other part for him after he narrates it to me. I also will have him write the main points of the narration also. He is slowly progressing and I love writing tales. I may be over-kill on the grammar stuff though.