Menu

Why did you choose Italic Handwriting over Traditional Cursive?

Country Girl

I chose it because I liked the look of the hand but more importantly the work books were interesting to complete.

We used it from the start so had no transition.

I've seen one criticism that says that when used rapidly it gets sloppy. I have one dd with whom this is a problem but I think she'd have been messy with any hand. My other is very neat. Both are true to their personality -- they're 8th and 10th graders now.

HTH

I have boys and I think it's an easier system for them to implement. For my older son, I started him in Italics and he has used it throughout. He learned to read traditional cursive via our spelling workbook and other books written in cursive (Babar, etc.).

My younger son was exposed to traditional cursive in Montessori school, prior to my bringing him home. I am also doing Italics with him and he also uses the same spelling program that gives him access to reading traditional cursive.

I think this style of writing is easier for all people to implement when writing quickly becomes more important in high school and college, etc. I had already adapted my own style of writing to something very similar to this on my own, years ago.

Regena

I heard that there was an easier transition from print to cursive with italics. I also liked the look of the script and thought my kids would produce a neater handwriting than with the "loopy" traditional cursive I learned. For the most part I think it's a good system, although my oldest is a boy. He is capable of writing beautifully...I've seen it a time or two. But he doesn't always try to write neatly. This year (5th grade) I told him we would discontinue handwriting/copywork if he would show me consistent, neat handwriting. He hasn't really upheld his part if the bargain. I was thrilled to see...umm...sorry, can't remember her name. The Medieval Italic Copybook.

We've pretty much used italics from the beginning, but DS did free online worksheets in Kindergarten that were Zaner-Bloser. The transition was mostly painless. There are a few letters that are formed very differently but they are mostly the same.

I loved this series when I started HSing with my dd..... but she had other plans! :D SHe didn't like it at all..... She said that all the "t"'s were "wrong" they have a tail and that is not right! LOL so she became very frustrated with me and "my" "wrong" letters . HA! So we changed but she will pay the price when she begins cursive and has to transition! Ha take that little one! :p...

but seriously I think it is a great program and it establishes beautiful handwriting..... If you're dc will not notice that it is "wrong" !

Just my 2 cents;)

Kate

I tied to switch from Hand Writing Without Tears to Italic in 1st grade with my oldest and it was a disaster. I just liked the look of the Italic being I have done calligraphy since childhood.

The reason for all the problems is that Italic all starts at the bottom instead of the top, and my dd, who did want to switched, is change resistant. In the end she started forming her letters in all sorts of strange ways, neither Italic or HWT. After about half a book I switched back to HWT, everything went back to normal and I haven't looked back.

If you had a child who struggled with a program because they always wanted to start their letters from the bottom, then they would be a perfect candidate for Italic.

Heather

Thank you everyone for their replies. What first drew me to the idea of trying Italics is just because I like the way it looks. But what has kept me coming back to considering it is the people who have said it might be easier for boys and the transition is easier.

My ds does not have very good handwriting and doesn't form many of his letters "correctly". He is in first grade and keeps asking to do "fancy" writing which is what he calls cursive. Today I showed him samples of traditional cursive and italic cursive and he preferred the italic. I'm worried about the transition but since he doesn't form his letters correctly anyway, maybe it won't really be a problem. I'll have to keep thinking about it.

Thanks!

My dd-8yo has been a messy writer, and after spending some time working with her on traditional cursive earlier this year (mainly so she can read the handwriting of others), we talked it over then switched gears and started the Getty-Dubay Italics series beginning with Book C -- since she had basic manuscript down pretty well. This was a great place for her to begin because it starts out with plenty of review of their manuscript method, which has allowed her to work on a few changes of style and the new flow of letters and strokes from what she was used to. Then about 1/3 of the way into Book C transitionsed into italic cursive, and each progressive booklet will continue to build on that.

It has been really quite simple and enjoyable switching over to italics. Along with liking the style (I, too, have calligraphy experience) I was attracted to GDI because they claim that children (and adults) experience improved handwriting with the program. It is a simple, clean style that is quite nice, easy to read and easy to master. I told dd that after she masters this method, then she can decide on her own which method of cursive is right for her.

Dangermom,

Thanks for letting me know the switch for you in 1st grade went ok.

LRb_0754.

Thanks for your post. So you changed just for cursive? I was wondering if that was something that would work and it is encouraging to hear that it did for you. Since my son is asking to learn "fancy" writing he might be more motivated if we started with book C rather than from the beginning.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on switching and starting with book "C"?

Thanks!

For the last two years I've tried unsuccessfully to get my ds 6 to print legible. We've tried HWT (with much tears) and we tried a traditional approach as well. Finally, I took ds to get an evaluation for SPD in January. The Occupational Therapist suggested that we try Italics. I bought book A for him and he is doing wonderfully. He says that the letters make since. Though his penmanship is still not up to par I can see a difference in the few weeks that we've been using it. He doesn't cry about writing anymore either.

I started my oldest with traditional print when he was in Kindergarten. He had wonderful handwriting, but wrote very slowly. We tried traditional cursive in August, but it was very confusing to him and his beautiful print went away and hasn't been seen since. Now that he is writing 3 and 4 essays a week his penmanship has gotten even more sloppy.

My oldest started with Italics C when I started his brother on Italics A. He has gotten a new desire for writing and his penmanship is improving. He's not taking so much time to print and is very excited about getting to write in cursive. The only transition issues I have with ds is that he sometimes thinks that he knows how to write the letter and becomes frustrated when I make him rewrite his mistakes. But then I think this is more of a personality issue with ds (he tend to be a perfectionist and hates correction).

Nitascool,

Thanks for chiming in on this as well. It sounds like transitioning from traditional print to Italic style is possible with good results. I bought the TM (still waiting to receive it) and I'm thinking I might go ahead and start my ds in book B and start my younger son in book A in the fall if all is going well.

Thanks!

Like Heather, we switched from HWT to italics in K. I loved the look of italics and thought DD, who struggled (more than the average K-er) with handwriting, would do well with the change. After a year we switched "back" - to RFH. Although she is doing well with RFH, and I love the program, I wish we had stayed with italics. All of the italics work we did her K year - the work I though wasn't sticking - is now showing up in her ball-and-stick handwriting, LOL!

G/L with italics. It is so beautiful...

I

The reason for all the problems is that Italic all starts at the bottom instead of the top,

Heather

I am confused. I have done the Italic books with all my children (with two who have completed everything but the calligraphy sections.) The don't start at the bottom. They start at the top. I just looked it up on the review chart and every letter starts at the top, with the exception of 'd' and 'e'. Those start in the middle because of the single stroke format. If they started at the bottom, it would be a terrible transition to calligraphy with a chisel tip nib.

To the original OP, we chose it because several families swore by them. I saw the results in some work of several middle school aged children and I was impressed with the beautiful handwriting - even in the boys. We have been very happy with the results. Sometimes it takes a little work to help themm learn to read looped cursive, but it really wasn't that hard.

I am confused. I have done the Italic books with all my children (with two who have completed everything but the calligraphy sections.) The don't start at the bottom. They start at the top. I just looked it up on the review chart and every letter starts at the top, with the exception of 'd' and 'e'. Those start in the middle because of the single stroke format. If they started at the bottom, it would be a terrible transition to calligraphy with a chisel tip nib.

To the original OP, we chose it because several families swore by them. I saw the results in some work of several middle school aged children and I was impressed with the beautiful handwriting - even in the boys. We have been very happy with the results. Sometimes it takes a little work to help themm learn to read looped cursive, but it really wasn't that hard.

Ellen,

I pulled out her old book, and you know what? You are right! My daughter started trying to form all her letters starting at the bottom while using the Italic, not the Italic program following that pattern. :eek:

Sorry for the mix up!

What is really funny is that the letter formation for manuscript is mostly the same as HWT. Only a few are different, like capital M and N. The Cursive has a lot more differences, but for the life of me I can't figure out WHY this was such a big harry ordeal for her to switch to. :rolleyes:

Heather

Wow, thanks to everyone who has continued to weigh in on this. You are all making me feel better and better about my plans to switch, and I love it when you all make me feel good about myself :D!

Also, thanks for clearning up the confusion about the letters starting at the top-vs-bottom. I was kind of confused when the OP posted that but I just figured I wasn't understanding quite right.

Thanks!