Menu

Almost done with MUS Zeta- what next?

sassenach

We will be hsing our dd through 8th grade. She's not very mathy and I'm seriously torn over what to do next. My goal is for her to complete algebra before highschoo, but I'm flexable. Here's what is on my radar-

MUS pre alg- too easy?

TT?

Singapore 6?

Chalkdust?

LoF? We are using this as a supp right now.

???????? I'm so overwhelmed by all of the options. TIA!

My plan for my average in math dd is to do Zeta in 6th grade, then Chalkdust pre-alg in 7th, then Chalkdust algebra in 8th. I hear really good things about Chalkdust, and I watched all the demo videos, and he sounds great. That's my plan, anyway...I would switch to Chalkdust next year but my dd would revolt.

I think, honestly, even though my children and I have really enjoyed MUS, that it isn't rigorous enough especially in the upper levels.

It also depends on your high school--is 8th grade algebra expected of the students? If not, then you might take two years with pre algebra, or do Zeta, MUS pre-algebra in 7th and algebra in 8th, then have her repeat algebra again in 9th. Or you could do Zeta, Chalkdust general math (I forget the name of the course), and Chalkdust prealg. in 8th.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of options!

We are doing Chalk Dust's Basic Math (the one just before pre-algebra), and like it quite a bit. It can be frustrating, however, because the textbook is written for a college-age student. I have found that many of the problems and examples are based on subjects that my 6th grader is unfamiliar with.

I'm not sure what we will be doing next year for pre-algebra and am looking forward to reading these responses.

Mandy

I did want to add that we had done MUS all the way through Zeta before we did the Chalkdust Math I mentioned in my earlier post. I wanted a good solid year of reviewing the basics of math before we moved on, and it has provided that. It also presented some of the concepts in a deeper way than we experienced in MUS.

Mandy

I'm not sure if the above post questioning the need for a change was written to me or not, but I thought I would chime in just in case:

Though I think Chalkdust has given a good solid year of review, I'm not sure it would be the best choice for my son in covering completely new concepts. My concern is that it would go too fast for him. Of course, I'm concerrned that MUS pre-algebra would not be difficult enough. It seems that I am just hard to please. :001_smile:

Mandy

Thanks for the replies so far. It really helps just to hear what others have done.

If what you are doing is working, why change it?
Cadam, I'm considering a change because I only have 2 more years with dd and I'm very focused on her being fully prepared for highschool. I love MUS, but I've seen repeated concerns about it's upper levels. If we were hsing through highschool, I might go with it knowing I could backtrack if need be, but we're not.

Thanks for the replies so far. It really helps just to hear what others have done.

Cadam, I'm considering a change because I only have 2 more years with dd and I'm very focused on her being fully prepared for highschool. I love MUS, but I've seen repeated concerns about it's upper levels. If we were hsing through highschool, I might go with it knowing I could backtrack if need be, but we're not.

Shannon,

We did MUS through Zeta, then went on to Lial's BCM in 7th. BCM (Basic College Math) is considered a pre-algebra course. It was a good fit for my non-mathy dd. She is now in 8th, and is completing Lials Introductory Algebra (Algebra I). We use the DVT, and dd has done well with it. Next year, it's on to Geometry. But I don't know what we'll use......

We will be hsing our dd through 8th grade. She's not very mathy and I'm seriously torn over what to do next. My goal is for her to complete algebra before highschoo, but I'm flexable. Here's what is on my radar-

MUS pre alg- too easy?

TT?

Singapore 6?

Chalkdust?

LoF? We are using this as a supp right now.

???????? I'm so overwhelmed by all of the options. TIA!

We are MUS users as well and are looking ahead to Pre-Algebra. Have you seen the pending changes for the upper level courses? They intend to combine the regular and honors courses so they will be a bit more challenging. If you haven't already heard, the link is below... :)

http://mathusee.com/blog/2008/12/18/special-announcement-for-2009/