Menu

Letter to Financial Aid Office?

We're in the waiting game for dd's college FA. You all know how FAFSA doesn't take into consideration for your debt, just income & household size. Have any of you written a letter to the FA explaining your TRUE financial picture? What did you say & did it do any good? BTW, her #1 choice did say to let them know what your picture is, but I'm just not sure how to write it w/o sounding whiney. :)

One of my friend's was successful with this approach. I think it helped that the debt was from excessive medical bills, and not lack of planning/saving or running up the credit cards on non-essentials.

I clipped an article from the WSJ a few weeks ago about this - write a letter asking for a "professional judgment review" to have other factors taken into account. I plan to do this, to make sure we get "credit" for our one son with autism and his earlier therapy costs, the fact that he will never leave home, etc.

Our "problem" is that dh is a contractor so w/the real estate slow down, work has slowed; our house is 50% underwater (soon to be listed as a short); our Adj. Gross income was almost 50% less in '08 than '07 & we used credit cards to cover expenses. I've read that they're more understanding w/medical expenses, but we fall more into the victim of the economy & bad planning camp. That's what makes me wonder what to say.:glare: