Menu

Book recommendations for the first third of sotw 3

Shasta Mom

We're finishing sotw 2 in May and then head up to Alaska. I thought I would start sotw 3 then and work over the summer. We won't be doing the AG this time - my son isn't interested in the projects, and quite frankly, I don't have room for the book! Anyway, I wanted to get a few read alouds or good self-read books for the first third of the book if anyone has suggestions. This would be for a good reading 10 yo rising 5th grader. Thanks!

Guest Lorna

Hi Shasta,

A few suggestions based on our favourites.

Our eleven year old son enjoyed Dead Famous: Isaac Newton and his Apple. It had quite a bit of maths in it but with a light-hearted funny tone.

If he is a strong reader he will enjoy The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

The Marcia Williams Shakespeare books are a fun read covering many of his plays and nicely illustrated too.

Peter the Great by Diane Stanley. Which is a beautifully illiustrated picture book which I think both your children would enjoy as a read aloud or for your son on his own.

Old Peter's Russian Tales by Arthur Ransome is also an excellent read. It is quite violent in parts (in a fairy tale sort of way) but the story-telling is outstanding and it is a great introduction to Russian culture.

I think that about covers the first third.

Here are some we are going to try--I'm not sure of the reading levels of some of these--

I, Juan de Pareja (African slave in 17th cent grows up to serve Diego Velazquez)

The Slave Dancer (this may be set much later, but is an awesome book about a boy's experience with the whole "slave industry")

Secret of The Andes (Incan story)

Hans Brinker and The Silver Skates

A Ghost in The Tokaido Inn

Witch of Blackbird Pond (one of my absolute fav's)

Also books on early Japan (I think Fiona MacDonald has one called Samurai Castle, but I don't know if it's too young), African slaves, and Captain Kidd. Martin of Tours comes up in Ch 9, as do German and Swedish cultures (could do some fairy tales and compare the structure). There are also quite a few My American books that fit this time period, but they may be too young for your son. I also like books that are more "American," set in the 1700's or early 1800's--like Johnny Tremain and Naya Nuki. Swift Rivers also looked good,b ut I don't know when it's set.