Menu

What's your level of education?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a psych major with a minor in chemistry, but I dropped out (and left my full scholarship behind) to move several states away to marry the guy I'd met online :eek:.

Yeah, and my parents didn't kill me, or him.

It was the best decision I ever made :D.

I think you're CRAZY!!!

And every time I come across this post, it makes me smile & tear up. So...congratulations!!!!

BS in Nursing. I'm now an unemployed RN. :) I always feel like I have nursing as a great back up in case I would need to work again.

Ditto this for me. My background is critical care nursing and I miss it at times. But, a few years back I realized that, though I was only working 4 hours/week (enough to keep my license current), the continuing education alone required to work in that arena kept me spread thinner than what was healthy for me if I wanted to do justice to our homeschooling. So, I left bedside nursing. Since then, I've creatively served as camp nurse at our church's kids's camp and the like (volunteer hours) which have applied toward our state's licensure requirements. Worst case, if I should let my license go inactive, I'd just have to take a refresher course to plug back in. For now, I'm most content to serve my girls here at home. ;-)

I did not know you could get a degree in Pastoral Care and Counseling. Actually, I am sitting here now thinking I am not sure what that means. Do you care for pastors or are you a pastor caring for other people? I am actually curious and not in any way trying to be a smart-alek. Really I am not. Anyway, either way, I think it could be a very important degree.

Graduated PS high school in 92, got my Clerical Clerk Coordinator (Hospital Unit Secretary) Certificate in 96, Got married in 97, got my medical transcription certificate in 97. I've not worked outside the home since getting married other than a short stent with Pampered Chef. I have no desire to go back to college. I'm happy as a homemaker, wife and mother that's what I really always wanted to do and found a wonderful man that's loves that I always wanted to do it.

I did not know you could get a degree in Pastoral Care and Counseling. Actually, I am sitting here now thinking I am not sure what that means. Do you care for pastors or are you a pastor caring for other people? I am actually curious and not in any way trying to be a smart-alek. Really I am not. Anyway, either way, I think it could be a very important degree.

This kind of degree gives you the ability to provide counseling services to people in need, but usually it is done in a church. So, if you needed counselling, you can go to a pastor who has this specialty to their degree. It is wonderful to have a pastor who offers this type of service because you don't have to go to someone outside of your church.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Dropped out of high school two months before graduation. Attended community college while bartending and waitressing then dropped out of college. I am now a junior at a local state university. I have been able to take all my classes online and will graduate at the end of next spring. I will then go on and finish graduate school. I owe all of my motivation to home schooling, TWTM, and this board. I am blessed.

I was 9 hours away from a Master's when I got my first teaching job. I have no desire to take classes again, but would like to finish someday. If I had to go back to work, I would like to work on a degree in library science. If I knew then what I know now, I would have pursued that degree in the first place.

Finished my degree in English, got certified as a secondary English teacher. I'm glad I got a degree, but the specifics of my degree/certification hold no practical application to what I do as a homeschooler. I consider it something to fall back on if I ever need it. People seem to "feel" better about the fact that I homeschool when they learn I'm a certified teacher. I'm always quick to tell them that being a certified teacher has absolutely no bearing on how well you can educate your own kids.

Don't you just love the diversity of homeschoolers? I have a BA in psychology, I left law school at the end of the second week to get a MA in counseling, and then I was planning to go back and finish, (I wanted to be a family mediator) but our first son "accompanied me" (in utero:)) across the stage to get my degree, and we've been together every day since...

I can truly say that I use my education every day. The only down side is that, once in awhile, I'll want to go to a workshop or something at church about marriage, and my husband will say, "I live with a marriage counselor. That's enough." ;)

BA in Psychobiology (yes, I wish they would have changed the name of that major, LOL - it was like a light double major in psych and biology), then MA in speech-language pathology. You can't get certified as an SLP without one ...otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it. Worked just long enough to pay off my large loans and then had a baby! :D

B.S. in Education (elementary education).....I graduated nearly 13 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. I ended up never teaching outside of the home. And I can honestly say that I've learned more about teaching children from homeschooling and from the great resources I've found here and in books, than I did in college. I had no idea what I was doing when I was thrown to student teaching in college!