Menu

So, how many homeschool moms here are also taking one or more college classes?

How many of you are taking one or more college classes for yourself right now? If you are, how many units are you taking, and which classes? Also, anyone here in college simply for their own edification, and not career possibilities/advancement?

I'll start...

Every couple of years I take a few classes at the local community college. Right now I'm taking a U.S. Government class, just for fun. :)

~Julie~

I always said I was going to take an Ancient History class at the local community college.... Then I got bored and enrolled in Grad school, so I take 6 credits a semester. AAAAAAaaaaaaa! It's great fun though... Working towards my masters in counseling, both because I love it and hopefully career advancement. ;)

What a good year for your government class! Have fun!

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm currently taking a World History-1700 class on Thursday nights at the community college. This is my first class in 25 years. The community college gave me 12 out of my original 28 credits as transfer credits.

I plan on taking 1-2 classes each semester, maybe more in the summer. I currently have no goal, but I'm sure one will develop eventually.

Just for sniggles and giggles, I took an online test to see what I should major in. The results gave 4 choices: Classical Studies, History, Religion, and Philosophy. I may end up teaching or writing. :)

Several years ago I took a series of classes in web development and got my CIW certification. This summer it will be either web scripting or Java. Being a professor means continous education, unfortunately (or fortunately if I have to work full-time someday!).

I'd love too, but dh in in school now, and we're both working. Between his classes, homeschooling and work, I don't have time now. I'm reading and studying on my own now so that once dh graduates, I will be prepared and can go if I'd like and have the money/ time.

I just finished taking Microbiology last semester and am taking a break this semester........that 5 unit class kicked my butt!

I took Physiology over the summer, Chemistry last Spring.....

I am now done with all my classes and am waiting to get into the nursing program (there is a waiting list)

I haven't figured out a way to take classed since my dh works so many hours and our business is so unpredictable. I have discovered that our library has quite a few college lectures on CD so I am listening in to those.

I am currently working through courses via MIT's OpenCourseware. I HATE having to go to class, so this is perfect for me!

I've been going part-time since 2004 (one class at a time, summers off). I finished my Bachelor's Degree in 2006, and started my Master's. I'm planning on law school when the kids get a bit older. I'm really in no hurry to finish right now, because I have no intention of getting a full time job for the next 15 years. Finishing school would mean starting to pay back student loans, and that's not going to be a picnic! I'm half finished my Master's right now, so I anticipate taking another two years to graduate.

Last week was the final meeting of the semester; I got an A in School Finance. In two weeks I'll be starting School Law, and I've already started reading the textbook for that as I hope to finish a first reading before the class starts.

I'm taking a 3 credit College English class -- just for fun.

My oldest dd is taking classes at the same community college and she doesn't have her driver's license yet, so I have to take her .. and I figured it was better to take a class for my own enjoyment than to sit in the car while she's in class (the cc is too far away to drop her off and then come home, only to have to go back out again).

I'm really enjoying it and -- mommy brag!! -- I'm making straight A's!!! :)

Guest Anita in PA

I'm taking one course at a time (3 credits). I'm working toward completing a BA in accounting, after a hiatus of 15 years. I was able to return to the same college, and they let me keep all my previous credits (60) so I *only* have several years left, at this rate! I regret not sticking it out back then, even though it would have been a little inconvenient at the time. We paid as I went, and I felt we could no longer afford to do that when the cost per credit went up to $100! And I wanted to just not work so hard and enjoy being a mom. Now, older and tougher, and looking at being out of the homeschool business in only a few years (5 or 6), I am willing to put up with a little extra work now so that I will be able hopefully employable when I'm ready to take on a full-time job.

Anita