Menu

I'm feeling philosophical tonight -

Melissa B

It seems as if I am becoming so focused on "the basics" and curriculum and grade levels that I am beginning to lose my focus for homeschooling.

My goal is to help my children become life long learners in the pursuit of absolute truth, goodness and beauty.

How do you go about implementing this in your homeschool at the K-8 level?

Or how do you implement any philosophical goals at a practical level? :)

You already know this, and you've probably been practising it. I can't put my finger on it right now--that verse, "whatever is right, whatever is true, whatever is beautiful...think on these things." That one. It's an excellent standard to strive towards--not only in our thoughts, but in everything.

(This is what comes from not memorizing my Bible verses!)

You simply extend this idea to everything in your home: books, past-times, amusements, language, food, even your clothing. If you do your best to provide nothing but examples of truth, goodness and beauty (no matter how humble. That most certainly does NOT matter)--and honour them in your home, then your kids will see them as natural--something they will definitely feel the lack of when they leave--and so then they will have the desire to put it back into their lives.

In education it like this: don't let the children spell creatively. Make sure they see and write it correctly the first time.

If there is a problem in Math, stop and slow down. Don't let the wrong tracks get rutted into the mind. Back up, start over, go slowly and do it right.

Let them read only the good stuff. (Easier said than done, but it is easier the earlier you start.)

Encourage excellence in their work. There is never any reason for any of my children to ever get less than 100%. I don't make a big deal out of it. It's just that if they don't, we go over it. (and over it). They are young yet--if they were 13 or 15 I might not be able too!

I think your thoughts are quite timely for me tonight, too. Thanks.

PS I just noticed you don't have any Bible curriculum listed, so excuse me if I sounded preachy and assumed you would know the verse I was thinking of. The idea is still sound, though, and I hope you know what I meant. Just keep "truth" "beauty" and "goodness" as a standard for everything--not just schoolwork.

My previous problem was that I focused a lot of energy on getting my dd excited about learning and finding her good and beautiful things to read and do that I didn't have time for math and writing and handwriting and.....

I am focusing on the basics now because I wasn't doing a good job at them. Now we do math, copy work and reading everyday no matter what. After we do that in short lessons, we spend the day outside if weather permits; we read history, science, mythology, great literature, learn poetry, go to museums, go to the zoo, do many of those things that give a varied and rich education.

My goal for my kids' education is that they love learning and have to the tools to independent learners. I need to work on an eloquent way to express my philosophy of education. It has two parts: kids learn by doing, and kids are capable of much more than most think that they are. If we had a motto it would probably be Sapere aude ("Dare to know"). I love what Ms. Frizzle says, "If you keep asking questions, you will keep getting answers." I want my kids to question and to be able to answer their own questions.

How does that translate into anything practical? We do math and writing because it trains our minds to be able to process and express information. We learn poetry because it fills our minds with beautiful language. We read mythology, folk tales, and fairy tales because they are part of human culture. They are the stories that entertained and taught our ancestors; it helps us to understand how they saw and explained the world. I can go on for days, but basically I make sure that everything I add to our school day has a purpose and helps us reach our goals. I work really hard to limit formal schooling to the minimum so that we can have time to explore the world and be truly educated.

It seems as if I am becoming so focused on "the basics" and curriculum and grade levels that I am beginning to lose my focus for homeschooling.

My goal is to help my children become life long learners in the pursuit of absolute truth, goodness and beauty.

I'm not sure I am understanding your question, but I'll respond anyway. I think you can focus on the basics and still achieve your goals as long as you include elements in your daily grind that incorporate your idea of absolute truth, goodness, and beauty. That's what I do anyway. Focusing on the basics (academics), but making sure that prayer, Bible study (which is my idea of absolute truth), good habits, and good character traits are taught and practiced, as well as making sure that my children spend time outdoors each day enjoying God's beautiful world is *my* idea of a great homeschool and it's what I aim for. That said, some days we fall short of my goals. So reach for your goals, but realize there will be days when you don't quite make the mark. On those days, don't be too hard on yourself. Sleep on it...and move on. All the best!

and I also understand where you are coming from. I can become very academic focussed sometimes too. These are the things I am doing that help us to balance out.

Firstly, I have been wanting to incorporate more appreciation of beautiful art, music etc into our routine. I had been scheduling it for a "Fine Arts Friday" but somehow either life or unfinished weekly work would get in the way and take over from our Fridays. I have decided that I don't want all those good things to belong to just one day, sooooo I am now scheduling them at different times during the week at times when we can enjoy them together - like art study when we all come in from morning tea/exercise break for example. I think this will help add breaths of 'beauty' in our days.

Secondly, reading aloud good literature together and stopping to discuss things along the way has always been one of our best experiences as a homeschooling family. Whenever I try to cut back on this, it seems as if something really is missing from our lives (sounds dramatic, I know). It seems to build togetherness and give united topics of conversation and thought which, I believe, is good and healthy.

OK. Thus endeth my philosophical rambling for the day....:)

I hope you find your balance.

I keep seatwork time focused on the basics but keep it short, intense and simple. So we don't have hour long math sessions but we do do some fun drill work each day tossing a ball around, some work out of the text using manipulatives together and up to 2 pages a day in the Singapore Math book.

The rest of the time my children have access to books, manipulatives, art supplies, field guides, educational TV, educational computer games, educational DVDs, the outdoors, etc.

At bedtime we read but we read good books that draw my children into the story. If they are not enthralled by a chapter book by the end of the first chaper then I put it aside. If they get bored with the book half-way through then I shelve it for later.

As far as books--we have weekly library trips and a home library. My home library has books that I love. From the library each week we get a variety of books. We check out books on history, math, science, fairy tales (lots of folk and fairy tales), picture books, easy readers, etc. Sometimes I have a theme with the books we check out and sometimes we are just totally random.

We also talk to our kids and in front of our kids about stuff like science, politics, etc. Our dc pick up on the conversations and ask questions. We encourage asking questions and I always try to give an honest answer or suggest we look it up.

Hope you find your way.

When it comes to education, our work ethic includes focus on glorifying God.

1)using the gifts that He endowed us with to the best of our ability (that means that we must use the intellect we possess to learn)

2) our daily duty is to work our hardest at the tasks that are put before us (so for adults its our jobs, for children it is education)

My kids write AMDG on the top of their assignments. (ad majorem Dei gloriam.....for the greater glory of God.)

In order to be pursuers of truth, goodness, and beauty, one must be educated in the basics. I don't believe one negates the other......the first opens to doors to the latter.

As in all things in life, some things we simply must trudge through to find the beauty on the other side. Suffering was the means of our salvation. It has merit. He has set the example for all struggles in life.

is any virtue, if there is any praise think on these things:)

Yes, momof 7 spoke beautifully, and truthfully which in reality are the same....

Practically, don't try to do too much at once...that's what I caught myself doing. basics are beautiful---they make sure foundations for the castles that are in the making. Just remember to Schedule in something that nourishes your soul with your kids--for us, it's nature study, tea parties and literature. What is it for you?

here's a blog post I read on a somewhat related idea

http://ebeth.typepad.com/reallearning/2007/10/c-is-for-childr.html

The verse mentioned above is Philippians 4:8-9

"whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you"

and I think the person who mentioned it is right on target with her advice. If we keep this verse and its meaning at the forefront of our homeschool endeavors, we will truly have success - in our eyes and his. :)

Thank you for all of the great ideas! Alana, I think you were right in saying that I need to focus on making it a part of our life rather than worrying about structuring our curriculum. I have been thinking about this all day and will continue to think on it for a while longer. I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses I have had to my musing. :)