Menu

Anyone combine Guerber books with Mystery of History I?

Dixie

I am looking for a schedule combining Guerber Books (The Story of the Ancient World, The Story of the Greeks, and The Story of the Romans) with Mystery of History I. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Dixie:001_smile:

When you add Truthquest to your rotation, do you line up MOH with TQ? They don't have MOH listed as one of their spines, correct? Or do you just do both in the order it is written?

I think I will probably do as you suggested and just start both MOH and the Guerber books at the beginning together.

Thank you for your reply.

Dixie:)

I am looking for a schedule combining Guerber Books (The Story of the Ancient World, The Story of the Greeks, and The Story of the Romans) with Mystery of History I. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

I didn't "schedule" them or try to coordinate them and I wouldn't recommend doing that anyway. MOH makes an excellent "spine" and it makes sense to work through that lesson by lesson, using the tools (pre,post tests, activities as desired, timeline,etc), and getting the most out of it that *you* want.

MOH 1 is actually heavy on Bible History (a plus for us) so you might want to rethink using Guerber's Ancient World (edited by Christine Miller) because it will cover almost all the same time period and events.

For the early ancient world, we used Landmark's Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt--a chapter or two a day. After that, my children read Guerber's Story of the Greeks, followed by Guerber's Story of the Romans.

What happens in actuality, is that the "extra" reading (Guerber) acts as either 1. an introduction, 2. enrichment or 3. review depending on whether we had hit the topic in MOH. I think that is a GOOD thing.

I personally find it quite wearying to "camp" out on a topic and thrash it to death. MOH provides an excellent overview to chronological history and Guerber's books provide an enriching narrative look at particular influential civilizations--a great combo, IMO. My children are all in high school history now and I miss our MOH/Guerber days.....

Hth,

Vicki,

Thank you so much for your reply. What you have done makes sense to me. It will definitely make my life easier. Something that is greatly needed when one has five children.

I will be doing MOH this next school year with my two oldest boys who will be in the 5th and 6th grades. It sounds like I need to take a closer look at Story of the Ancient World. I may do as you suggest and drop it in favor of using just MOH.

Did you have your children read any other books besides the one Landmark book and the two Guerber books? If so, would you mind sharing some of what they read?

Thank you,

Thank you,

I plan to, but haven't order the Guerber books yet. (I know I am not much help.)

Heather

Did you have your children read any other books besides the one Landmark book and the two Guerber books? If so, would you mind sharing some of what they read?

Thank you,

This last time with MOH/Guerber was with my younger three--I already had *quite* a few books from my older girls--lots of Sonlight books, older Landmarks (some are back in print--eg. bio on Alexander the Great), suggested Greenleaf books. I try to alternate bios with historical fiction/legends. I think many of the ones we used are now OOP (I've been homeschooling a looonnng time--the oldest will be starting grad school this fall!). If you want, I can look through my shelves and list actual titles of what was read this last go around....

I would also take into consideration whether your children are active, eager readers in deciding how much *extra* reading you assign. Also, I make sure (ala Sonlight) to include non-history-based reading as well. There are LOTS of good books for 5th and 6th graders to read that aren't easily tied into history.

Lastly, although I didn't buy them specifically to go with MOH, I found our old Usborne books worthwhile to have strewn about because they add a visual component lacking in both MOH and Guerber. No need to get the latest internet-linked editions (unless you want to)--our books are probably close to 10 years old....

One more thought: If I were just starting out with homeschooling, I would use a fair number of resources from http://www.mainlesson.com (free children's books in the public domain), and its sister site: http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com (selected reprinted titles from mainlesson.com). They have some real gems there.....

HTH,

Edited by vmsurbat
One more thought....

Vicki,

Thank you so much for your reply. My boys love to read so I will probably assign quite a few books. I, too, usually assign literature not related to history.

There is no need to go to the trouble of scannning your shelves, but I do appreciate your offering to do so. I will just go through the various catalogs and my shelves and pick and choose those which I think would be of most interest to the boys. I like your idea of alternating bios with historical fiction.

Thank you for the suggestions of mainlesson.com and Yesterday's Classics. I will take a closer look at what they have to offer.

I really appreciate your advice. It has been of great help to me as I think through history for this next year.