Menu

Can we talk about the proposed Barbie ban in WV?

<<W. Va. lawmaker wants to ban sale of Barbie dolls

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Just in time for Barbie's 50th birthday, a West Virginia lawmaker wants to outlaw the doll.

Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge is proposing to ban the sale of the Mattel doll and others like her in West Virginia.

He says the dolls influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.>>

Very interesting! I had no idea! :lurk5:

Ginger (who is hoping this is not a political topic)

I don't get it. They have Barbies that are doctors, lawyers, teachers...

Barbie has always been portrayed as a very smart and well educated. The Barbie movies are sweet and innocent. Actually, they are my favorite movies for my little girl to watch.

A Barbie will never turn bad like an um..... Brittney Spears or Mary Kate and Ashley doll because she is based on fiction and not a real person.

Ok, there might be barbies with tattoos, but Barbies like that are mostly collectors items (I'm thinking the Harley Davis Barbie) and are not bought for little girls to plays with, but by adults that like a particular subject. I own the XFiles' Fox and Scully dolls, but I don't let my dd play with them.

My dd's Barbies are mostly mermaids, princesses and fairies.

Bratz, on the other hand, I will not let into my house. I think they are ugly and seductive looking. I have this power as a parent. I exercise this power by not buying Bratz. If people don't like Barbies, then they aren't going to buy on for their child. It is not the governments job to regulate what toy I think my child should or should not play with. It is mine. If my neighbor wants to buy Bratz dolls for her dc, that is fine with me. But that does not mean I am going to try to ban them to try to protect my neighbor's dd with my person opinion.

He says the dolls influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.>>

Be that as it may (not agreeing or disagreeing here), it's not a state's business to ban the sale of a doll on those grounds. It's not the state's job to parent my kids. I'll do that myself, thankyouverymuch. :glare:

My girls do have Barbies, and I walk the same fine line as probably every other girl mom out there.

Be that as it may (not agreeing or disagreeing here), it's not a state's business to ban the sale of a doll on those grounds. It's not the state's job to parent my kids. I'll do that myself, thankyouverymuch. :glare:

:iagree:

Good grief! In a state whose #37 educational rank is abysmal, one would think that Barbie's multitude of professional ideals might encourage little girls to be something more than the proverbial coal miner. Yes, the physical beauty is impossible to attain, but the careers she encourages are worthy of consideration. Not to mention in this economy should anyone, even a wealthy state, be recommending a ban of a profitable item? (Or is it a political ploy to encourage quick sales and a run on toy stores? LOL)

SHEEESH, isn't there a more worthy political topic for their government to address? Poverty, education, unemployment, etc? Maybe the WV politicians are the bubble-headed bleach blondes? :tongue_smilie:

Good grief! In a state whose #37 educational rank is abysmal, one would think that Barbie's multitude of professional ideals might encourage little girls to be something more than the proverbial coal miner. Yes, the physical beauty is impossible to attain, but the careers she encourages are worthy of consideration. Not to mention in this economy should anyone, even a wealthy state, be recommending a ban of a profitable item? (Or is it a political ploy to encourage quick sales and a run on toy stores? LOL)

SHEEESH, isn't there a more worthy political topic for their government to address? Poverty, education, unemployment, etc? Maybe the WV politicians are the bubble-headed bleach blondes? :tongue_smilie:

Exactly. It seems like someone is deflecting from real issues.

:iagree: Not only is it not the job of the government, such a ban would actually erode our freedoms. People in this country are supposedly allowed to do business.

HELLO. This is just a cheap stunt by a legislator who is abusing the legislative process to garner publicity to make a "point".

Any legislator can "introduce" legislation, and this one is capitalizing on the Barbie anniversary and his understanding of how the "news-media" works to "make news", and rile a few people up in the process.

But this is never going to be a law. Isn't intended to ever be a law, and wouldn't pass constitutional muster if it were passed (which it never will be).

We don't need to cling to our Barbies. The government ain't comin' for 'em. This is one "joker" who figured out how to stir the pot. It's cheap politics, and this kind of stunt would likely cost a politician my future support, but I can see this for what it is.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We are right on the border, so this is our local news..... I'm not a big fan of Barbie, but good grief! There are plenty of fingers to point when it comes to which role models are inappropriate for young women and girls, and most of them have more realistic proportions, a laundry list of lousy choices they've made, and publicists. I'm not too worried about a plastic doll that I can keep out of my house by simply saying "no."

HELLO. This is just a cheap stunt by a legislator who is abusing the legislative process to garner publicity to make a "point".

Any legislator can "introduce" legislation, and this one is capitalizing on the Barbie anniversary and his understanding of how the "news-media" works to "make news", and rile a few people up in the process.

But this is never going to be a law. Isn't intended to ever be a law, and wouldn't pass constitutional muster if it were passed (which it never will be).

We don't need to cling to our Barbies. The government ain't comin' for 'em. This is one "joker" who figured out how to stir the pot. It's cheap politics, and this kind of stunt would likely cost a politician my future support, but I can see this for what it is.

Bill

What exactly is his point?

What exactly is his point?

He evidently feels such toys perpetuate unhealthy, unrealistic stereotypes for young girls and women: "I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you’re beautiful, you’re beautiful, and you don’t have to be smart."

What a dope :D

He evidently feels such toys perpetuate unhealthy, unrealistic stereotypes for young girls and women: "I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you’re beautiful, you’re beautiful, and you don’t have to be smart."

What a dope :D

Yes, because Barbie (the PLASTIC toy that she is) has gotten so far on looks alone. What a terrible role model she is. I mean, soon, little girls everywhere will be covering themselves in plastic trying to be more like her....

Sorry....couldn't stop the sarcasm this time.

Yes, because Barbie (the PLASTIC toy that she is) has gotten so far on looks alone. What a terrible role model she is. I mean, soon, little girls everywhere will be covering themselves in plastic trying to be more like her....

Sorry....couldn't stop the sarcasm this time.

I forgot to include one of these :tongue_smilie: in my post, didn't I? :D

Not only the Ken question, but what about Barbie's house, her car, her airplane, her camper, her party-sized pool, ....

Do those go back to the taxpayers? ;)

I call dibs on the convertible. Will there be an auction, you know like a police auction?

I hope this is not O/T, but not too long ago I happened across a story in a newspaper about Barbie and Ken. Something to the effect that the dolls' creator named the dolls in honor of the boss of Mattel's kids (?). Anyhoo, the real Ken had a hard time with it, got constantly teased and tortured by other kids, and ended up dying young in the early 90's.

I don't like Barbie and dd doesn't own any Barbie dolls, but the story bummed me out anyway.

I had Barbies growing up. My dd has a couple of Barbies. It is a doll. If my dd grows up thinking of herself only as a boys plaything or that physical beauty is all that matters than that is my failure as a parent. I know I did not measure my self worth by comparing myself to a toy when I was a little girl.

I have no desire to live in a Nanny State. It is my job to raise my dd to value herself not the State or Federal government.

But what will Ken do? :001_huh:

A gigolo's gotta do what a gigolo's gotta do. He'll try to hook up with Bratz. Does Bratz have a pink convertible and townhouse?

I can't deal with seeing the muscular handsome Ken reduced to cavorting around in a Tonka truck.

I had Barbies. I'm not a fan of them per se, but they are better than Bratz and such like. And you know what, I don't need the gov telling ME what is good for my kid and what is not. This is all going to start traipsing on what my child should and shouldn't wear (which is a religious issue for us) and our various faiths.