Menu

Birthday Gift for a 9 Year Old Girl??????

My dd8 will be 9 in a couple of weeks and I'd love to find out what suggestions you could offer. She's an avid reader, loves the arts, loves to do arts & crafts and to draw, loves to sing and dance, and still plays pretend but with a "big girl" twist (like teaching a class, cashier at a store, etc.). Last year we took her to see the Lion King on Broadway (won't be splurging like that again this year!!) and I'm not looking to top that. She said she wanted us to take her to to the movies with some of her friends and then go out to dinner which we will probably do. I'm just stuck on what to give as a present. We're not into electronics (aside from dh's slight obsession with stereo equipment) so all the gaming systems are a no go here.

So, if you had a dd turning 9, what you you get her for her birthday!! Where has the time gone!!!!!

TIA

My artsy dds at nine would have been happy with some great art supplies. Perhaps a new, larger set of coloured pencils (we love Prismacolor), lots of paper, or a sketchbook. Or even a real artist's journal. Bottles of tempera paint in the primary colours plus white along with paper plates so that she can mix her own paint colours. Model magic (my dd's have enourmous play sets they've made from model magic over the past few years--tons and tons of tiny people (their legs and arms have to be part of the body), cats, food, houses, etc.

Agreeing with the previous poster's ideas.

Both Klutz & American Girl have some cool craft books. Based on what you've said, those sound perfect for her.

Is there a craft she hasn't tried yet that might be fun -- something like quilling, rug hooking, punch needle work, etc...?

How about a gift card to Michael's or Joanne's?

Sketch pad, new pencils, and a book on how to draw things (you can find specific ones such as drawing horses, or people, etc...).

Or, how about an assortment of new books or a gift card to the bookstore?

My 9 yo likes:

Funky socks and other funky accessories like belts, hats and scarves (if it is at Justice or Claire's she will love it)

Journals, date books, and pens of every colors

Jewelry (she got her ears pierced at age 9)

Webkins (though they have computer component)

Crocs and Jibbits (those things they put on crocs)

Crafts kits: The build a bear kits are always a hit here; any kit that involves decorating clothing.

Most girls this age have a favorite animal (mine likes dolphins and horses but pandas are really "hot" right now with some of her friends). A t-shirt, tote bag, etc with that animal on it would be fun.

My 9 year old loves American Girl Dolls, but they are $$$. She also loves to write, so I gave her several Amelia notebooks (they are a series once written by American Girl, I think the author's last name is Moss and they are Borders) and marble notebooks that resemble the books. I gave her a nice set of gel pens to draw the pictures too.

I guess find something she is passionate about and expand it for her. If she likes music get her some new instruments with books or if she is really crafty a little sewing machine.

Have fun!

My dd loves her ipod. We put books on CD from the library on hers as well as multiplication unplugges. She also has the sound track to the lion king and she does have music on there that is on the edge of being good music. It also helps because she gets car sick when we go on long car rides so now she just hangs out and listen to her ipod and sings away in the back of the van.

She also loves writing and art - so she loves anything like that. Those velvet art books are her favorite. She has a few books on how to draw things that she enjoys and we do water color painting together. She has her own tubes of water color, mixing tray and real water color paper. She thought that was very cool and grown up.

Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. I'm thinking a new art book and some art supplies would be right up her alley. She also loves to ride her bike when the weather permits and I'm thinking maybe she'll love some rollerblades!

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

My DD turns nine just after Christmas, and she is very into her arts and crafts too. She is really keen to get a Cuttlebug, which I am thinking could be fun and good for projects, card making etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuttlebug-2000293-Machine-V2/dp/B0047Z4GOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317192540&sr=8-1

Would love to know what you finally do buy for her:)