Menu

Classical Education starting in 4th/5th grade? Where to start?

Catwoman

Note: This is a cross-post from the General board. I posted my message there first, and then realized it was probably better to post to this board instead. I hope it's ok to have posted in both places, as I didn't know how to delete my other thread.

Hi!

We've been using the BJU DVD program for the past few years, but I'm finding that the lessons are far too easy for my ds, who just turned 9. We've been doing 3rd grade BJU for most of the classes, but substituted 4th grade math and 4th grade reading in the hope that it would make things a bit more challenging.

I should add that I don't want school to be challenging to the point where it's complete drudgery; I'd just like to see ds not score 100% on every single test without ever having to study at all.

It's becoming clear to me that the DVD program, while ds enjoys it, may not be the best choice for us. That's why I am considering implementing a more classical education program... but I don't know how to get started because ds seems to be at an "in-between" age, and the BJU materials don't seem to fit in with the classical model. (As an example, ds has only done American History so far, up through the Civil War/Wild West era -- and BJU Heritage Studies is very light, so it's really nothing more than an overview of history, without much depth or detail.)

HELP!

I liked the DVDs because they were so easy for me -- I was basically the teacher's assistant, and the DVD teacher taught all of the concepts and assigned the work. I think that, overall, it's a solid program, and I have no complaints about it except that I think that in order for it to work for ds, I'd have to advance him by a few years, and then the themes of the material might be too mature for him. (He can read and comprehend beyond the high school level, but he's still a typical 9 year-old kid -- and I want him to stay that way!)

Anyway, I have probably done a terrible job of explaining this, because I'm just starting to hash this out in my mind and am feeling pretty clueless right now, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction in terms of how I can get started on a classical track, considering where we are now. I have the WTM book, but it seems like we've done things quite differently and would need to "catch up," yet I don't want to feel like we're moving backward, either.

Ok, I'll stop typing now -- I'm rambling and getting more confusing!

I'd really appreciate any info and advice!

Thanks!

Cat

Edited by Catwoman
I can't type today!

There's a chapter in Drew Campbell's book "The Latin-Centered Curriculum" that addresses the issue of starting a classical education in the middle of things. It offers recommendations on where to start and what materials you may want to consider using.

Alternatively, you could just pick up with the 3rd or 4th grade suggestions in the WTM book, but start history with Story of the World, Book 1.