Menu

Natural deodorant recommendations?

I was VERY surprised, but when I stopped using deodorant I started just splashing a tiny bit of water on my underarms, and then patting baking soda on them. I went 2-3 days with no shower, without stinking when I did that. I even made DH sniff my pits, ROFLOL, to make sure it wasn't just me not being able to smell my own stench :D So, that's probably TMI, but I HTH :o

Oh, and don't RUB the baking soda against your skin there, just pat it on- I accidentally irritated my skin there (after shaving, so it was sensitive) by rubbing it on. BUT- it does make for great body wash- my skin is SO soft with I wash with baking soda instead of soap. :)

Tom's was not a hit in our house -- too much "breakthrough stink" by day's end. :o Avalon organics, similar results. Nature's Gate stick deodorants have worked the best for us, but NOT the "Organics" line. Just the regular deodorant line (we like Summer Spice scent).

That said, and depending on how far you'd like to go with this, the absolute BEST deodorant I have found, and the one my teenage daughter and I have used almost exclusively since about a year ago this time, is a combination of pure coconut oil and baking soda. I simply mix them together, about 2/3 oil, 1/3 soda. I'm not going to go into great detail on the how-to's of this unless you think you're inclined to want to try this mix. I'm completely sold on its odor preventing properties, but it's not for everyone, since you do have the added disadvantage of having to rub a slippery substance under your arm every day without the aid of a little "stick". :p

Doran

I just can't tell you all the problems I was having with antiperspirants/deodorants. I finally switched to a roll-on product from our health food coop that's simply called "Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal Roll-on". The bottle is rather clear with a blue lid and lettering.

The difference I've experienced is like night and day! It has been great for me. Now, I switched in fall, so I don't know how it will work this summer, but it's been great thus far.

Regena

Baking soda here too. We just put it in a salt shaker and just pat it on. Once in a great while hormones seem to sneek up on me and I need to use Apple Cider Vinegar (on a cottonball) let it dry and then use the baking soda. ACV should not be used daily because it will irritate the skin.

Also the first time you stop using deodorant your underarms start to "breathe" again and you may smell worse for a few days. (But the ACV will prevent that)

The only thing that concerns me about the Burt's Bees herbal deoderant is that it comes in what might possibly be an aluminum can. I'm not yet sure if this is something I want to be concerned about.

One thing you might try is cleaning up your diet if it needs it. Many people find that the reducing of animal products in their diet makes a considerable difference.

~Lisa

I have tried several in the recent months trying to find a natural deodorant that was aluminum free, paraben free, and propylene glycol free. I also need one that really works because I get smelly! :o The only one that I have found that works for me is the Home Health Herbal Magic deodorant. I have the Herbal Scent (which I don't really like but is better than body odor) but it also comes in unscented and Jasmine and I plan to try one of those next. I have only been using it in the winter months (but I am the kind of person who needs one even in the winter) so I can't comment how well it will work in hot summer months.

A comment on something someone else mentioned.... I have also started only to rinse with water and not use soap under my arms. I read that soap and regular deodorants can clog pores and inhibit them from doing their job of cleaning you out. Don't know if this is true but since I switched to the Herbal Magic and stopped using soap, I haven't been smelly at all (except for the first couple of days). I've tried the baking soda before but it didn't work for me. However, I've heard good things about it and will probably try it again now that my pores might be cleaned out.

HTH!

My husband and I use one that doesn't contain aluminum and works better than anything we've ever tried!!!! We found it in our Walmart- it's by Adidas. Not all of Adidas' deo. are aluminum free, but there is one for men and one for women that is. The men's actually says it right on the black lid. I was shocked to find it, and even more shocked when I found it worked better than anything we've used.

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions! Doran, I would absolutely love your recipe. In fact, I've got a little coconut oil left over. Are we talking about the thick organic shortening-type stuff?

I'm sorry, I don't really have a "recipe". Here's what I do:

I re-use a tin from a previous body balm because it's easy to get fingers into and out of. A small (very!) jar w/ a wide opening would also work. Or a petri dish w/ lid (LOL!). Anyway, fill your vessel nearly full w/ coconut oil. It's easiest if you can soften it just a bit after you put in in whatever container you're using. You can even melt it completely and then stir while it cools. Add about 1/4-1/3 the total amount in baking soda. If the oil is completely melted, the soda will sink to the bottom, hence the recommendation to stir it as it cools. I use an old chopstick, but any blade type tool (kitchen table knife) will work well enough. The idea is to keep mixing it together so that once the oil is hardened, the baking soda is evenly distributed in the oil.

Then, it's just a matter of applying a bit with your fingertips. When I use it, it feels a bit "gritty", but not as bad as sand and sunscreen!:D I've had one instance of being really irritated by this stuff -- I applied a newly made batch which I think I was heavy on the baking soda, to newly shaved pits and went out for a power walk in the heat of summer. That wasn't pretty! I tell you this only to suggest that you use caution on the first couple applications. If it feels irritating to your skin, try decreasing the amt. of soda. I've read that some people use JUST the oil and that it has its own deodorizing properties. So, if you have sensitive skin, you might go with less baking soda first and see how it works for you. Do note that this is an oil and it can stain a fancy shirt. My dd and I have not had that problem (I rub it in well when I use it), but a friendly reminder all the same.

Like I said, I love this stuff and haven't used any commercial natural deo's since finding it. I believe the original idea came from Camy (w/ her 5 boybarians and 1 lady) on the old board. Yet another way the WTM boards have proven invaluable! :)

HTH,

Doran

Baking Soda here too. Shockingly effective. No stink, even after gardening in the hot sun or working out. I have mine in a Parmesan shaker, sprinkle on my finger tips, apply over the sink. That way it doesn't make such a mess and then my sink stays clean.:)

• 2 years later...
Tom's was not a hit in our house -- too much "breakthrough stink" by day's end. :o Avalon organics, similar results. Nature's Gate stick deodorants have worked the best for us, but NOT the "Organics" line. Just the regular deodorant line (we like Summer Spice scent).

That said, and depending on how far you'd like to go with this, the absolute BEST deodorant I have found, and the one my teenage daughter and I have used almost exclusively since about a year ago this time, is a combination of pure coconut oil and baking soda. I simply mix them together, about 2/3 oil, 1/3 soda. I'm not going to go into great detail on the how-to's of this unless you think you're inclined to want to try this mix. I'm completely sold on its odor preventing properties, but it's not for everyone, since you do have the added disadvantage of having to rub a slippery substance under your arm every day without the aid of a little "stick". :p

Doran

Does it leave residue on your clothes? Does it feel greasy on your skin?

I've tried stones (made me break out in huge whelps ugh..not pretty) and a number of off the shelf kinds (like Tom's) and either I react badly or they just don't work at all.

I settled onto a homemade deodorant made from coconut oil and baking soda and arrowroot powder (the baking soda alone wasn't working for me) (recipe HERE) and have loved it. It works better than commercial deodorants for me, is cheap, and I'm even confident in it to give it to my 10yo now.

I use plain baking soda, too. I have been using it for over four years. My dh would definitely let me know if I was smelly, and it works great. There are a few recipes floating around blog-land. Angry Chicken has a recipe that I think I will try when my boys get closer to puberty. I hate the thought of buying them commercial deodorants, so I plan to make some up of my own and put it in old deodorant containers. They could just use baking soda if they want (my 2 and 5 yo like to copy me now) but want them to have options of appearing more traditional if they want.

I found that Tom's made me (and a friend) have a weird, sort of funky odor.

Once I started with JASON I realized that funky odor was NOT me and was from Tom's LOL

Jason is good for me, however I've kind of fallen back into antipers. recently b/c I get so sick of sweating all day long (I guess I"m a big sweater).

I have a cheap bottle of baby powder with half of the powder/half baking soda mixture in it. I just sprinkle it on after my shower. I've been doing this for 2 years. One of my teen sons has been doing it for a year, and I just got dh to start this summer. Name brand deodorant/antiperspirants seem to make us all smellier by the end of the day than good old fashioned baking soda and talc.

Wow. I didn't realize this is an old thread. :-)

Edited by Onceuponatime