Menu

Does anyone know of a good statistics text

I have to say, the text itself is a little dull.... but it's well explained. It's Introduction to the Practice of Statistics by Moore and McCabe. What I really like about it is that it's used by Against All Odds (statistics tele-course) on www.learner.org which is not dull (dated certainly, but not dull! LOL) and they go very well together. There are also a lot of useful support materials, like SAS and Minitab manuals, and guides to using Excel and TI graphing calculators with relevant exercises.

Definitely Algebra 2 -- you can get through a lot of it with just Algebra 1, but there are a few topics (like logarithms) that will come up from Algebra 2... and I'd want to see a good graphing background (including transformations) going into it, too.

Hope this helps!!

I've got the perfect textbook! I used this one to help out with a basic college statistics course. My counselor recommended this book and I didn't get it at first. Finally I did and it was like a miracle. Everything was explained so well and clearly! This book has a permanent place on my shelf because it was/is so good.

Book:

Understandable Statistics by Charles Henry Brase

I have to say, the text itself is a little dull.... but it's well explained. It's Introduction to the Practice of Statistics by Moore and McCabe. What I really like about it is that it's used by Against All Odds (statistics tele-course) on www.learner.org which is not dull (dated certainly, but not dull! LOL) and they go very well together. There are also a lot of useful support materials, like SAS and Minitab manuals, and guides to using Excel and TI graphing calculators with relevant exercises.

:iagree:with this recommendation. Oldest ds used this to self-study for the AP Stats test his senior year (and he got a 5).