Menu

I'm so sorry so many of you dislike the new boards....

I really wish everyone was more positive about the change. SWB & her crew have done a wonderful job and things look so awesome. They've worked really hard to provide us a safe place to discuss things and get to know one another. I wish we could all be happy and move on. The old boards are gone and most message boards these days are in this same format.

Kristine

I'm loving them, too!

In fact, I'm SHOCKED at the negativity. Even more shocked at the number of women who are posting that they are too old to learn new things. I mean, I thought we were homeschoolers....all that learning how to learn stuff doesn't just apply to our kiddoes, does it?

I hope I NEVER get too old to learn something new.

Believe me, nothing that I miss about the old boards in any way diminishes my appreciation for SWB and Bob, and everyone at PHP who has worked so hard to make these boards as best as they can be. I can be happy and move forward and still miss the ol' days at the same time. :)

I think SWB expects many of us to have trouble saying goodbye to our (8-9 year) old habits. No one should take it personal, or feel a need to rush to her defense.

As far as what's not to love, I would say the search feature. So far, it's a little lacking, but I think they're working on that.

I think all of us, even those who miss the format of the old boards are trying to be positive. There are wonderful things about this format, but there is the "living room" feel that many of us are missing. Maybe that wasn't important to you but quite a few of us did enjoy that on the old boards.

I think we all realise the old boards are gone, and that's why we're working so hard to have this format work for us.

Although I have adjusted well to the new boards and enjoy the features (especially the calendar, pics, and messaging), I do miss the old boards and did prefer the layout of them to the new. That said, I am adjusting, keeping a positive attitude, and trying to encourage others. It is only natural that some will prefer the old style and some will prefer the new style boards. We should all be able to discuss our opinions, whether they are positive or negative. I'm sure SWB and techie assistants realise nobody blames them personally for the change. They did what they had to do. The alternative, closing the boards down altogether, well that would have been unthinkable....

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place

I think all of us, even those who miss the format of the old boards are trying to be positive. There are wonderful things about this format, but there is the "living room" feel that many of us are missing. Maybe that wasn't important to you but quite a few of us did enjoy that on the old boards.

I think we all realise the old boards are gone, and that's why we're working so hard to have this format work for us.

Exactly!

Some people sharing what they miss have found advice on how to change their options here to replicate it. That's the point. Some things I like, some I don't, and discussing that is not ungrateful to me. I'll bet SWB doesn't want us to be Stepford-boardies, or she would have told us herself to be quiet. :D

Of course, I skipped all the posts about being too old to learn because they didn't interest me, so maybe they were really bad...

SWB actually did post that she also missed the old format. I am mostly a lurker, so I will miss the ease of checking out posts and replies, but I am sure that I will get used to this format. There are many things that I like about this new forum, and more grow on me daily. It will keep growing on those of us who were more fond of the old format, and soon it will be "old hat". Patience.:D

Maybe that wasn't important to you but quite a few of us did enjoy that on the old boards.

I guess I never felt connected on the old boards and never really felt like it had a "living room" feel. I even left at one point and quit visiting for quite a while and when I came back, I don't think anyone even noticed. I have been on these boards for about 6 years, so it's not like I just started using them. Sorry if I offended anyone with my original post. I just like to be a positive person and felt a lot of negativity. Guess I'll just be skipping those posts from no on.

Kristine

"There are wonderful things about this format, but there is the "living room" feel that many of us are missing. Maybe that wasn't important to you but quite a few of us did enjoy that on the old boards."

I was sad the day I discovered it switched but I am quickly getting gused to it, but this "living room" feel is how I would also describe the old boards. The new way feels like I have to go from room to room. :( Little boxes instead of an openness. I am learning alot of new things though, and that part is fun. :) Lots of other features are a great enhancement like the word proccessor.

Robin

Sorry if I offended anyone with my original post. I just like to be a positive person and felt a lot of negativity.

Kristine

I wasn't offended, I was just trying to explain why I'm having a difficult time feeling 100% great about the change. But I'm committed to spending lots and lots of time on here figuring it out ;).

I agree, Jeanne. It's only been a couple of days. Too soon to expect everyone to be completely adjusted.

Like I said on the HS board, it seems that the ones most satisified with this format are the ones who are used to it on other forums. For people like me, who never participated in any other forum than TWTM, it's much more of a culture shock :).

I am quite a older than many of you, and I *can* learn new tricks. When I want to. And when it's worth the investment of time. Some of us are trying to weigh all that out... some will think it's worth it and some won't. No biggie. Some of us think we're already spending too much time on the internet anyway and don't place mastery of message board formats way up on the priority list of self ed goals, if ykwim :). Looking at it the other way, I'm not getting any younger and neither is my daughter. This might be a good time to reprioritize. Not saying that as a negative against this forum, but the switchover is definitely a good impetus for considering just how "invested" I'll be here as opposed to how invested I was in the old format. Hope that makes sense to those who don't understand why anyone would be anything less than 100% jazzed about the change. Not that I don't like it or appreciate it... but it's the same reason I've never got started up on other forums.

I wish we could all be happy and move on.

Kristine

I've been comparing the switch to my family's upcoming move to Dallas. Each time we move (we move a LOT with dh's job), I have to go through a mourning process of sorts. It *is* a change and while I look forward to many aspects of Dallas (less humidity for one!), there are MANY aspects of my current life that I will miss (Robin in TX is at the top of that list). I think our "mourning" is just a testament to how much we have enjoyed our previous life on the old boards. Will we adjust? You bet. Is it a process? Absolutely.

Robin, you are so right on target!

I was just going to post on the K-8 Board (my usual haunt) that I just scanned the entire board in less than two minutes (and haven't been there in two days!), so obviously, I will now have to actually start cleaning my house. Used to be, "checking" the board was an hour long coffee-fest affair in prep for dinner time.

I simply don't have time to click on every post, and wait for it to open just to read the replies. But, I really did like reading the one-liner nt responses, getting a feel for different people's personalities, and occasionally clicking open a thread on something I normally wouldn't have just because someone's reply sparked my interest. The general board definitely enhanced and expanded my views and habits, and I will miss it even though I mostly lurked there.

Of course, given the new format of the board, you won't just be scrolling down "real quick" to see if anyone's replied to you - LOL!

I was sad the day I discovered it switched but I am quickly getting gused to it, but this "living room" feel is how I would also describe the old boards. The new way feels like I have to go from room to room. :( Little boxes instead of an openness.

Robin

It's so funny, because that is precisely why I prefer this format! :o If I am in a large living room with a lot of people, I will sit quietly and listen, and rarely talk. However, get me in a small room with only a few people and I will chat away. To me, these boards feel more "intimate" whereas the others were just so exposed. I think it is very much a personality thing, with no right or wrong opinion.

One of the (many) things I like is the "new posts" feature. And the ability to subscribe to a specific thread. Okay, that is 2 things. Anyway, on the old board I felt like I had to be online ALL THE TIME or else I would miss something, then the board would flip, then I would be lost forever. With this format I can have a life away from the computer (unthinkable, I know!), come back when I have time to spend, and not miss any of the "hot" topics. PLUS, when someone replies to a topic, the thread jumps to the top again. HOpefully, we'll have far fewer repeat posts.

I was a little (or a lot) lost at first and I am still figuring things out. Just now I am searching for a thread from this morning and cannot find it anywhere. Incidentally, it was started by KristineIN - if you are reading this - where is the thread about gardening and growing things???

The whole thing is about getting used to new things. There are advantages with either board format. I understand that safety was an issue and I accept it. I just had to spend a few hours here and there to maneuver around here and ask stupid questions.

It's nice to see everyone's picture or Avatar and it's nice to recognize boad members from the old board and regroup together.

I would'nt call it *negativity* but more *resistance to change* but as we all know "Change is the only thing that endures".

It's so funny, because that is precisely why I prefer this format! :o If I am in a large living room with a lot of people, I will sit quietly and listen, and rarely talk. However, get me in a small room with only a few people and I will chat away. To me, these boards feel more "intimate" whereas the others were just so exposed. I think it is very much a personality thing, with no right or wrong opinion.

I agree with you. I really didn't post too often but I feel much more comfortable with this format.

One of the (many) things I like is the "new posts" feature. And the ability to subscribe to a specific thread. Okay, that is 2 things. Anyway, on the old board I felt like I had to be online ALL THE TIME or else I would miss something, then the board would flip, then I would be lost forever. With this format I can have a life away from the computer (unthinkable, I know!), come back when I have time to spend, and not miss any of the "hot" topics. PLUS, when someone replies to a topic, the thread jumps to the top again. HOpefully, we'll have far fewer repeat posts.

I totally agree, I think that once I get used to this, it will be great!

I absolutely LOVE them!

But I'm used to this format, being on Sonlight and The Homeschool Library. They both use this same forum type.

Those of you who are having a hard time, please be patient. In time you'll come to love this format.

I think it's much easier to see the topics and responses. :D

It's just a matter of different preferences. As Robin said, those of us who prefer the other format aren't reacting negatively to Susan, et al in particular. I'm completely familiar with this format and have never cared for it. (I could provide a laundry list of what's not to like, in response to Tammy in Germany!) This is definitely the better format if you want very specific info (e.g. looking for something on the sale board), but as far as quick, easy conversation, it leaves something to be desired. No biggie, though. Presumably the format of an Internet community is not going to shatter any of us.;) People are just expressing their concerns and so on.

I guess I never felt connected on the old boards and never really felt like it had a "living room" feel. I even left at one point and quit visiting for quite a while and when I came back, I don't think anyone even noticed. I have been on these boards for about 6 years, so it's not like I just started using them. Sorry if I offended anyone with my original post. I just like to be a positive person and felt a lot of negativity. Guess I'll just be skipping those posts from no on.

Kristine

What happened was that a lot of folks got use to the other format and liked it and appreciated it. It's really all they'd known and they were happy with it. Then these changes came and blew up the board they were really comfortable with and liked.

Fortunately the community is still here, the people are here, I don't know that anybody got scared off. It's just regrouping and getting things going again. Goingthrough various states of shock.

I think I'm ike you though. For me, I know people don't recognize my handle as I've not been a regular. The thing is I really wanted to start posting here more but daggone, the format was just so uninspiring, it was too hard to follow conversations, I just never really go into it. I was use to my other board and just couldn't get into it much before. So I'm hopeful that I'll stick around more & contribute more to the community now like I swore I would if the site ever did change. I was surprised they held onto that early/mid-90s message board for as long as they did.

I really liked the people and commradarie before even though I was more lurker than participant. I look forward to folks getting more comfortable here.