Menu

MFW Exploration - 1850/1850 - Modern...anybody use this?...

Sue G in PA

I'm planning ahead to 2009-2010 school year when I will have an 8th, 6th, 4th, 3rd grader who would fit nicely into this curriculum. I will have a 1st grader possibly doing MFW 1st grade and a 4yo doing MFW K (maybe!). I have a few questions about this specific curriculum (Exploration - 1850 specifically):

1. How teacher intensive is it? I don't mind a bit of prep work but simply cannot spend hours each week preparing the lessons.

2. My will-be-8th grader did an exhaustive year of that time period of Am. Hist in 5th grade w/ Joy Hakim's material, but hasn't done that time period of world. Should I lump her in and use this curriculum (is there enough World I guess is my question!) or let her do a more independent study using something else?

3. Quality of the books used...what is your opinions? I perused the readers and it seems that so many of them she has either a. already read or b.too easy for her as she reads well beyond her grade level. Any opinions?

Okay, thanks to anyone who can offer a review. My next year is sort of planned out already w/ MOH2 (if we get through MOH1!) so this curriculum seems to fit the time period we'd be getting to, KWIM? TIA

1. How teacher intensive is it? I don't mind a bit of prep work but simply cannot spend hours each week preparing the lessons.

Not very intensive at all. If you want to do projects or crafts you need some prep time, but everything else is pick up and go.

2. My will-be-8th grader did an exhaustive year of that time period of Am. Hist in 5th grade w/ Joy Hakim's material, but hasn't done that time period of world. Should I lump her in and use this curriculum (is there enough World I guess is my question!) or let her do a more independent study using something else?

You would have to use the 7th 8th grade additional program (I forget what they call it). Ex- 1850 uses SOTW 3 and adds more American History to it, so you can get an idea of what there is for World.

3. Quality of the books used...what is your opinions? I perused the readers and it seems that so many of them she has either a. already read or b.too easy for her as she reads well beyond her grade level. Any opinions?

Look at the books for her age and carefully consider if there will be enough challenge. I used it with a 5th grader and she didn't love MFW and was much happier when I added more of WTM feel to history.

I don't know if you really want to do MFW K, 1st, and Ex-1850. I would look at the sample schedules for a week and see what you would be doing for each program. Since Ex-185 uses SOTW 3, I would use that for the younger children with the activty guide, simplify the science, and see what you would need for math and phonics for the younger ones.