Menu

Cindy in C'Villes Skillet Pizza Dough Recipe --

Skillet Pizza Crusts

Make these pizza crusts ahead of time and pull out when you want freshly baked pizza.

3 pkg. Active dry yeast

1 t. sugar

¾ cup warm water

3 cups all purpose flour (I've used ww as well)

1 t. salt

½ cup warm water

2 T. olive oil

Combine yeast, sugar, water in 2-cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes

Combine yeast mixture, flour, salt, warm water, and olive oil in a large bowl, stirring until well blended

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.

Punch dough down, and knead lightly 4-5 times. Divide dough into 6-8 portions; roll each into a circle. (**question - would 6 - 8 portions indicate personal-sized pizzas?)

Cook each round on 1 side in a skillet or on a griddle. (How hot should the skillet be? Should the crusts rise up and get fluffy in the pan? Mine are flat, really flat. Perhaps I should use more dough - split the dough in half?)

Cool and freeze.

When ready to cook, remove from freezer, top, and bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

What should these skillet crusts look like upon completion? voice of experience, anyone? Kitchen stuff is not my strength, but I'M TRYING REALLY HARD! lol

6-8 portions are personal-sized pizzas. I double the recipe and make enough for a second meal. Since we have 8 people in our house, I always just roll them out to make 8. I don't worry about getting them perfect. Sometimes they even get holes in the crust. It's okay. I vary the size according to the person. Dh gets a larger one, my youngest dd gets a smaller one.

I set my griddle for 350 degrees. They don't get fluffy. They're thin, crispy pizzas. If you don't want them as crispy, don't put them on the griddle as long.

We love to do these for "Family Night" and let everyone build their own pizzas. I love to just use Hunt's Tomato Sauce for the pizza sauce and then let everyone build to their heart's content. Lots of fun!

Let me know if you have more questions. Glad you're trying them. Let me know how it goes.

:) Cindy

Duh, I should have known that the recipe portions were for personal sized pizzas - we ate one for lunch and it was yummy, just Flat!

My first batch will be super-thin crust pizza's. lol

DH blessed me with a KitchenAid Mixer for Christmas -- who knew that I could make dough so easily with no kneading/flour mess all over the countertop and floor.

Good times here in the Maritimes.

T