Menu

Should I get a Tivo?

chai

Which option should I choose?  

1. 1. Which option should I choose?

• Get a Tivo with Netflix. You'll love it and it's worth the expense!
    • Get a DVR and use another option to download Netflix.
    • I have a better idea. (Please post!)

I want to completely change the way we watch TV. Right now, we have cable, but we don't watch TV enough for it to be worth the money. The shows we watch are mostly on network TV. I like American Idol and Extreme Makeover: Home; dh likes NASCAR; we love NOVA and History Channel, but I rarely manage to find the shows I want to watch.

My plan is to cancel cable altogether and go with an antenna (crossing my fingers and hoping an antenna will work). We will need a digital converter, because my TV is 11 years old. I like the idea of recording the shows that we like and watching them when we choose. I guess that I could do that with a DVR, but then I still have to find the shows and remember to tape them. Is Tivo worth the money? Is its only added value finding and remembering for me? I'd also like to get the downloadable Netflix subscription that they sell with Tivo, although I know that there are other options for that too.

What are your experiences with Tivo or DVR? Any other suggestions?

Yes. I tell everyone who asks to get a DVR. I've always been a TV fan, and I'm not ashamed. It's not all bad. But having a DVR has 1) freed me from having to watch a show when it's aired--I can do whatever and watch the show whenever (and I don't have to choose between shows, it records two at the same time and if a show will be airing in repeats, I can prioritize that lower than other shows so it will only record the repeated episode); 2) freed me from watching commercials; 3) freed me from watching entire shows when I only want to see a segment (e.g., a specific interview on a talk show); 4) freed me from worrying about missing a show when it gets rescheduled at the last minute for a local event; and 5) saved me money: I recorded some shows from FitTV so I don't buy workout DVDs anymore; I recorded some shows from Noggin so I don't have to buy Dora videos; I save shows I watch on HGTV, the Food Network, etc. so I can use a technique or recipe.

But...I'm not sure how this all works with an antenna. I have a satellite dish. My parents have a DVR with their cable system and they said they can only record one show at a time. So YMMV.

I also have a basic Netflix plan, the 4.99 one. I used to get HBO but cancelled that and now just watch the HBO series I like on DVD, as well as movies. For you, honestly, I might recommend basic cable with Netflix.

We have a TIVO and Netflix with our antenna and LOVE it! It is cheaper than what we would pay for cable, and we get to watch what we want when we want. We are really enjoying Netflix, they have everything! We just have the basic package and it is enough for us - we have 1 family movie night a week.

I love, love, love my TiVo. There are a million things I would give up for my TiVo if I had to!

Since I have an older model, I don't have Netflix on mine. Instead, we have it through the XBox and our PCs. If dh gets the job a headhunter has been calling him about, I think the first thing I'm going to do is purchase a newer model TiVo!:tongue_smilie:

Well, it's not *I* that has the better idea, but rather my ds. I wanted a DVR for Christmas, but ds, the computer geek guru is making me an entertainment system with a computer. What exactly it is, how it works, etc. I have no clue since it's not done yet, but....he says I won't need cable, I won't need a DVD player and I won't need a DVR. Sounds to good to be true, but my son has done this at his home.

Not much help, but it gives you something else to explore or look into at any rate.

Edited by Katia
yuck: grammar

Well, it's not *I* that has the better idea, but rather my ds. I wanted a DVR for Christmas, but ds, the computer geek guru is making me an entertainment system with a computer. What exactly it is, how it works, etc. I have no clue since it's not done yet, but....he says I won't need cable, I won't need a DVD player and I won't need a DVR. Sounds to good to be true, but my son has done this at his home.

Not much help, but it gives you something else to explore or look into at any rate.

I have heard of people hooking their computer up to the TV, but this is a pretty fuzzy idea for me. I don't really want to tie my computer up for watching shows. I've looked at Hulu.com, but I didn't really understand how it worked. Wouldn't getting a new computer be more expensive? I don't know if we could hook up our older TV. Does anyone know how to do this? :confused:

Tivo is the BEST DVR available, bar none. We've had multiple brands of DVRs and nothing comes close to Tivo. It's the Mercedes of recorders! We don't have one anymore, but often wished we did. Truly, nothing at all can compare!!!

Can you tell me what you like better about Tivo? I've heard that it is better, but it doesn't work without a subscription. Is it worth the monthly fee?