Menu

How to do "Bible Time" with variety of ages?

Another Lynn

We have gone awhile without "Bible Time" here mainly because of morning sickness. I know I need to start it up again, but I kind of dread it because it takes so much effort to get it going. My kids are 9, 6, 4, and 2. We were reading a story out of a story Bible, singing a hymn, and praying. By the time I could get my 4 and 2 yos in chairs without fighting, then my 6 yo was laying down "too tired" to sit up :( So I guess part of my obstacle is just training them to all sit still at once for "Bible time"/"story time" or whatever, but I also wonder if there might also be a better way to go about this.

Please share how you do this. Also, do you focus on the youngers and let your olders get the meat of their Bible study on their own? (my 9yo has CLP's Studying God's Word this year). I'm also tempted to do it more one-on-one.... Just thinking out loud, oops I mean in print.

Thanks!

Is it about sharing God's word or just teaching the younger ones to sit through a lesson?

During our bible time, my goal is sharing God's word therefore, I read primarily to my older one. His younger brother ds5, when unable to sit would just sit nearby with a toy or a board book and be around when I read. You would be amazed at what he picked up by just being around the story and the bible time.

If you are trying to teach sitting through a lesson then I would focus on that. But I think asking anyone younger than 5 to sit and focus longer than a few minutes is very hard. They really will learn to sit and listen as they are able and they do listen to the story.

Right now, I usually bring out the story bible when they are a captive audience - while eating breakfast or right after while seated at the table! Then we read, and answer questions, and pray. Then they are dismissed. Of course syrup or coffee on the story bible is a hazard but acceptable in my book. Even at 5, ds still gets up sometimes to move around. But believe it or not he can answer the questions from the story!

HTH,

Adrianne

I think that my dd8 (quite mature) is old enough to have a time just with God and her. She's dilligent with it, does it first thing when she gets up. A small booklet from the Bible-Society helps her with it.

Dd 7 is just starting to do it on her own and still needs my help, or asks her sister for help (which I don't like so much, cause then the older one isn't focusing so much on what God is trying to tell her).

Ds 4 gets nothing in the morning, it's just too much at this point. However, in the evening he gets an age appropriate bible story read to him, before going to sleep.

During that time dh reads bible to the dds, talks about it with them, makes them think and then they pray together.

I have a feeling this may be too chopped up for you, but I like about it, that they all get a lot out of it.

On a Sunday we all worship together.

Thank you all for posting. Friederike, I have considered something like this and may yet do it. I don't think it's too choppy.

Adrianne, I think you summed up my problem exactly - do I want to have Bible time or do I want to have "training to sit still time?" I think I really don't want to spend time and energy (did I mention that I'm preggo and energy is limited? LOL) on training them to sit still right now. I think I will talk with the 6 and 9 yo about what I expect of them and prepare them that I will not have the same standard for the 4 and 2 yo. I will try letting the 4 and 2 yo have a little freedom if they are quiet and just share God's Word, as you said, and let the little ones begin to imitate the olders over time (hopefully).

Thank so much!

Right now, I usually bring out the story bible when they are a captive audience - while eating breakfast or right after while seated at the table! Then we read, and answer questions, and pray. Then they are dismissed. Of course syrup or coffee on the story bible is a hazard but acceptable in my book. Even at 5, ds still gets up sometimes to move around. But believe it or not he can answer the questions from the story!

We also do ours at lunch time (dh takes the lead on this as the spiritual head of our home). We wanted to make it a natural part of our day and not have it as another part of our homeschool "schedule". So we alternate reading a Bible story and a child's doctrine book during lunch. Some days we are out and don't get to it, but more often then not, it is just a natural part of the day now - which is exactly what I wanted it to be. :)

but I only have two, and my youngest is 5.

In your situation, with your current gaols, one option to consider might be an audio version of the Bible for your younger dc. I know this isn't really a substitute for treading the Bible aloud to them, but it might help with the "sitting still" issues, while you read to your older dc.

One my 5 yo has enjoyed is The Singing Bible by Focus on the Family. It contains Bible stories interspersed with songs about the Bible.

We read a chapter in the children's Bible for the older children at the breakfast table--whoever got done with breakfast first read it out loud while the family was finishing eating. Then we read the World Mission Prayer League missionary newsletter, and prayed. We use to sing a hymn, too.

The littles, since they were eating, just sat through it and were expected to be somewhat quiet or play nearby if they had finished eating.

At lunch time I read a book out loud to the children that was at the older children's level. I would eat early and then read to them once they were seated and served.

At bedtime, the littles got a Bible story from a children's book and a story book. Then we'd pray and tuck them into bed. Sometimes we'd read a chapter in another book for the older ones, too.

We have gone awhile without "Bible Time" here mainly because of morning sickness. I know I need to start it up again, but I kind of dread it because it takes so much effort to get it going. My kids are 9, 6, 4, and 2. We were reading a story out of a story Bible, singing a hymn, and praying. By the time I could get my 4 and 2 yos in chairs without fighting, then my 6 yo was laying down "too tired" to sit up :( So I guess part of my obstacle is just training them to all sit still at once for "Bible time"/"story time" or whatever, but I also wonder if there might also be a better way to go about this.

Hi,

I'm so glad you want to get back to doing Bible Time with your kids. I'll encourage you that this has been one of the best times of our day and one I'm happy to do over any schoolwork. It's been such a blessing to see how my children have grown in the things of God because of it. Our days are *vastly different* if for some reason we miss Bible Time that day.

How about doing a short Bible story and singing a song that will only go for 3 to 5 minutes (I think I first heard Elizabeth Elliott suggest this)? During this time you can also be training your children to sit up and pay attention (not being distracted). You can also tell them that you'll be asking a question at the end of the reading and (very excitedly say) let's see who can answer it. That might give them an incentive to listen carefully. You can gradually lengthen the time as your children learn to sit for the Time.

Some of our favorite Bible books have been The Little Hands Story Bible (very short with a picture on each page -- and a question for the kiddies to answer) and Leading Little Ones to God (a little longer, can be broken up in two days).

Two of my favorite child rearing books are Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp and Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman.

Thank you for reaching out. I'm praying for you.;)

May the Lord bless your efforts and you seek to raise your children up in His ways.

We're following the Veritas Press Cards (general outline), and then read appropriate passages during that period from the Children's Story Bible, the BLUE Bible Story Books, Journey through the Bible, etc.

We do this at breakfast (captive audience thing), and keep it pretty light -- talking about life lessons, asking questions, etc.

Sit still time... that's another lesson!

We sit in the family room and the 2yo either sits on his "play blanket" or with one of his older siblings. We read a Psalm out loud, going around, each reading a verse or two (so this doubles as "read aloud practice"). Right now, all but one dc, the 2yo, can read.

Then we sing a hymn, or the doxology, I open the day in prayer, and we're done.

We also have evening devotions with Dad.

I think it's very important to spend time training the little ones to sit still and to listen. However, with your morning sickness, this may not be the best time to start. It does get easier. With my 2yo, he doesn't have to sit still, as long as he plays quietly on his blanket.

We're expecting #6 in the fall, so I understand about the morning stuff. We've been starting school much later since I've gotten pregnant, because at 43, I seem to be needing much more sleep!

HTH,

Here's another thought--both to help with the littles--

1) do your Bible time in an area where they can sit, lie down, turn somersaults, whatever. Maybe the living room or family room where they can play quietly with blocks and legos and things (no sound effects allowed, though!) Sitting still at a table and listening is very tough. I can't even do it--if I'm listening to the radio or an audio CD my hands MUST be busy.

2) So, that leads to the second thing--the colouring pages from Calvary Chapel are worth their weight in gold. I just ran off a bunch for my seven year old today. We were doing something more formally--but she missed them. We pray. I read, she colours. She answers questions. We're done.

Good luck to you. You will figure this out.