Menu

?? re WP's Ancients program for gr 4-6--

StaceyL in Canada

If you've used this, could you give me a quick summary of what you have liked or disliked re this program? I'm looking around for a planned-out program for next year for my youngest, who will be gr 5, which I may use in a co-op setting. I understand that WP uses MOH 1 along with other books, but I thought MOH 1 was a complete program in itself, with a schedule, projects, etc. Is it worth getting the MOH guidebook/ schedule to use MOH, or is MOH fine on its own? Did you like the notebooking pages? Anything you would change if you were to do it again? Would appreciate any input ! TIA.

If you've used this, could you give me a quick summary of what you have liked or disliked re this program? I'm looking around for a planned-out program for next year for my youngest, who will be gr 5, which I may use in a co-op setting. I understand that WP uses MOH 1 along with other books, but I thought MOH 1 was a complete program in itself, with a schedule, projects, etc. Is it worth getting the MOH guidebook/ schedule to use MOH, or is MOH fine on its own? Did you like the notebooking pages? Anything you would change if you were to do it again? Would appreciate any input ! TIA.

Hi Stacey,

We're currently using QAW, but I am only on week 16 - so take my opinion fwiw. I chose WP over MOH alone b/c I liked that other resources (Encyclopedia Ancient World) were scheduled in along with read alouds. I also llike that MOH is organized into units - so that we can study one culture at a time. I found the strict chronological study through MOH a little confusing. I prefer to study Egypt, then Israel, then Greece, and Rome. We'd also used WP for two years so I was used to their layout.

I like the notebooking pages. The kids do them on their own (5th/7th grade). They also do the timeline figures on their own. We do the mapping activities, as well, but I draw from other map sources (Knowledge quest) and atlases like the Holman Bible atlas.

We really don't do many of the crafts (no time!), but I feel like I still use many of the WP pieces to make it worthwhile. I don't know if WP will be helpful for you - I think it may be a good source of ideas for activities within the co-op. Also, you could use the activity pages. However, MOH has review cards, timeline ideas, and weekly exercises or quizzes which would be great on its own in the co-op. There is also a list of extra books/resources that could be added in in the back of MOH.

Sorry for rambling, hope some of it is helpful!

Hi Stacey,

We're currently using QAW, but I am only on week 16 - so take my opinion fwiw. I chose WP over MOH alone b/c I liked that other resources (Encyclopedia Ancient World) were scheduled in along with read alouds. I also llike that MOH is organized into units - so that we can study one culture at a time. I found the strict chronological study through MOH a little confusing. I prefer to study Egypt, then Israel, then Greece, and Rome. We'd also used WP for two years so I was used to their layout.

I like the notebooking pages. The kids do them on their own (5th/7th grade). They also do the timeline figures on their own. We do the mapping activities, as well, but I draw from other map sources (Knowledge quest) and atlases like the Holman Bible atlas.

We really don't do many of the crafts (no time!), but I feel like I still use many of the WP pieces to make it worthwhile. I don't know if WP will be helpful for you - I think it may be a good source of ideas for activities within the co-op. Also, you could use the activity pages. However, MOH has review cards, timeline ideas, and weekly exercises or quizzes which would be great on its own in the co-op. There is also a list of extra books/resources that could be added in in the back of MOH.

Sorry for rambling, hope some of it is helpful!

Thank you. Where are the maps found for the history programs? They seem to use Amy Pak's beautiful maps but I don't see if they come in the guidebook, or elsewhere. ??