Menu

Great new discipline approach

Reya

Kid not listening? Time outs and chores not working, but it's not serious to make a spanking offense? Make 'em run! :-)

This is my new technique for not paying attention in school. Our house is 90' long and 30' wide, and there's a big deck in back, so running around it is nontrivial. After three laps, DS is usually good to go!

I talked to a friend who said her homeschooling friend's dad was in the Marines, and their kids used to have to drop and give them 20 when they messed up. Sounds great!

HOORAH!

Kid not listening? Time outs and chores not working, but it's not serious to make a spanking offense? Make 'em run! :-)

This is my new technique for not paying attention in school. Our house is 90' long and 30' wide, and there's a big deck in back, so running around it is nontrivial. After three laps, DS is usually good to go!

I talked to a friend who said her homeschooling friend's dad was in the Marines, and their kids used to have to drop and give them 20 when they messed up. Sounds great!

HOORAH!

We're all about pushups here. Bad attitude, talking back, picking on a sibling, not doing an assigned job. 5, 10, 20 pushups. Even the six year old has good form now.

We live in an apartment now, so running isn't much of an option. Although I have thought of having them do the stairs.

DS had a teacher whose classroom was right by the playground. She'd send the kids out to run a lap or 2. It does seem to help some children to ge that last bit of energy out and get the brain jumpstarted. I'd have my kids play for about 30min before starting school or longer on nice mornings I never had any problems with going about the school day. I scheduled in 15 min outside breaks after the longer harder lessons like math.

We're all about pushups here. Bad attitude, talking back, picking on a sibling, not doing an assigned job. 5, 10, 20 pushups. Even the six year old has good form now.

Yep, same here. Funny thing is the 13-year old had a light-bulb moment the other day. "Hey, you know all those push-ups you make us do? I think they've been helping with my swimming!" :lol: (I think he started doing them when he was a puny 6-year old & couldn't even push himself up all the way.)

DD, 9, got in trouble at gymnastics for talking. She had an additional 220 pushups to her workout. :lol: DS,12, had to run for additional 30 minutes at soccer b/c his teammate was late.

Be careful with the physical punishment. My dad soured me to running, as it was his punitive punishment of choice. It was great at the time (from his perspective), but caused me to associate running with negative consequences. Other than that little issue...HOORAH! LOL

Along with running, I also mix it up a bit with push-ups, jumping jacks, and squats (my favorite). Most of the time my boys problem with focus is that they have some extra energy to burn. I've tried to not approach it as "punishment" but more of "ants on the pants" sort of thing. They often now will realize that they are having wiggle and focus issues and will hop up and start doing one of the above mentioned exercises.

Yup forced PT is the best discipline I think. When they are really bad, try squat jumps. Horrid things, lol.

But unlike some other discipline methods, PT is not demeaning. It is good for them. It will not make them fear you. You can even let older siblings discipline younger ones with the condition that the older one does the PT along side them.

Along with running, I also mix it up a bit with push-ups, jumping jacks, and squats (my favorite). Most of the time my boys problem with focus is that they have some extra energy to burn. I've tried to not approach it as "punishment" but more of "ants on the pants" sort of thing. They often now will realize that they are having wiggle and focus issues and will hop up and start doing one of the above mentioned exercises.

Yep! I told DS it will help him wake up. And it did!

• 2 weeks later...