Menu

If you could only choose 3 Nature Study ref.'s what would they be?...

Sue G in PA

I'm not talking about Field Guides or other references like that. I'm talking about the "how-to's" and such. You all listed so many awesome references in the other thread and I know I can't possible purchase them all (my library only had a few). So, if you could only buy, say 3, which ones couldn't you live without? TIA...I'm really excited to start our Nature Study/journal after the baby is born!

Are you talking about books for direction and inspiration rather than "knowledge" like a field guide would be knowledge? Something to turn to when you need to remember why not to neglect Nature Study and how to do it?

If so, then I would say:

Handbook of Nature Study

Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker (not christian content but practical ideas)

and then choose between Wild Places by Karen Radcliffe (purchased off of Penny Gardner's site) or Pocket Full of Pinecones.

Wild Places is more full of practical ideas and inspiration- she also has a large family and so adds that perspective (which is nice for me with almost six!)

Pocket Full of Pinecones is inspiring "fiction" with some practical tips.

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

I really like the simple way this notebook is laid out. It is something you could tuck away in your backpack. Review it before hand and it will prompt some questions you could ask your child. For the older child, they could fill it in.

Here is the link: http://www.usoe.org/curr/science/core/4th/pdf/NATURALIST_NOTEBOOK.PDF

My favorite all-time book is "The Young Naturalist" by Leonard Moore. It is intended to be used in Great Britain, but I have found that I have used it many times living on the east coast. I especially like the section titled "Things to look for in cities and parks." The other sections are, Things to look for in the mountains, Things to look for on the seashore, Things to look for in rivers, streams and ponds, Things to look for in the woodlands. There are a couple of sections that do not apply like, Things to look for in heaths and moors. I have used this book more often than "The Handbook of Nature Study."

Hope this helps,

Mary

Comstock's book would be great for you over in PA, no doubt.

I've got some very different ideas for you though. My 3 most-used nature books (aside from the field guides, which really would be #1):

The Fairy Land of Science by Arabella Buckley - this is a marvelous little book of her lectures for children on nature. It is perfect for young children who loved fairy tales, and for older children who are still playful at heart. Amazon sells copies and has a preview so you can see her lighthearted style.

The Wild out your Window by Sy Montgomery (tied with The Curious Naturalist by the same author) - this is a series of essays written for parents and children about finding the "wild" in your own backyard.

Tree of Life: The Incredible Biodiversity of Life on Earth - a fantastic book for the grammar school child. It uses a tree metaphor to explain the inter-relation of life from bacteria to humans and everything in between. This is, hands-down, my son's favourite book.