• High 6,000's
    • Mid 6,000's
    • Low 6,000's
    • 5,000's
    • 4,000's
    • Out of sight
    • I don't want to think about it.

Guest Virginia Dawn

The market that is. I'm curious, what are your predictions of the status of the Dow when it finally hits bottom?

Poll coming soon.

I read an article recently that says true panic hasn't set in yet, once it does we will see the end of the roller coaster ride. I think the panic is eminent. Dh, who believes on sitting on what you've got and riding out the storm, uncharacteristically changed the distribution of his 401 K yesterday morning.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Negative expectations have a way of becoming reality; the lower the masses expect it to go, the lower it'll go. Btw, I voted "I don't want to think about it", not because it's stressing me out, but because I don't see value in fretting over it.

Edited by Colleen

If inflation is bad enough, the number on the Dow might not go down that much. Peter Schiff is looking for the Dow to equal one ounce of gold (in other words, at a current level of inflation, Dow would go down to about 1000). What would probably happen is that gold would go up (because of money printing) and Dow would go down, and meet somewhere in the middle.

Negative expectations have a way of becoming reality; the lower the masses expect it to go, the lower it'll go. Btw, I voted "I don't want to think about it", not because it's stressing me out, but because I don't see value in fretting over it.

:iagree: I don't think about because it doesn't do any good, it expends all my energy that is better spent elsewhere, and my dh does enough worrying/thinking about for both of us.

Janet

Guest Virginia Dawn

Somehow, I think that more than negative expectations is at work in the market right now. There may be no value in fretting or stressing, but certainly there must be some merit in looking at things realistically.

I answered 5000's. I don't stress over it, but i keep an eye on it. Just remember that you only lose money if you cash out lower than you bought....so, if you are in for 30 more years, just don't cash out....

I would discuss my reasonings for the markets plummet over the past 6 months but it has to do with politics..so i will stop there. FWIW: the market always reacts to political stuff....

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Somehow, I think that more than negative expectations is at work in the market right now.

I never said negative expectations are the only thing influencing the market. I implied that they do have a strong effect on the market.

There may be no value in fretting or stressing, but certainly there must be some merit in looking at things realistically.

I agree ~ and I'm a realist through and through, which is why I'm looking at it realistically.;)

I can't remember details right now, but they said if this market situation were to mirror the great depression, we are (firstly) only at the beginning, and (secondly, with all the adjustments made for inflation, various conditions, and such) that the market would land down around the 3000 mark before this is over.

It will be anyone's guess as to which companies come out of this alive. During that market plummet, the companies that lived through were raw materials producers (steel and such), as well as some of the agricultural companies (I think). Maybe those are the safer bets these days....? I don't really know enough about it....

:-(

It will be anyone's guess as to which companies come out of this alive. During that market plummet, the companies that lived through were raw materials producers (steel and such), as well as some of the agricultural companies (I think). Maybe those are the safer bets these days....? I don't really know enough about it....

:-(

What companies will the government let go? I thought we were paying the bills for most of them these days. :glare:

I don't really think about it too much. I've given up news, talk radio and internet news sites because my heart starts pounding and I feel like I"m going to puke if I think about specifics of any of this too much.

Dh works for a major paint and coatings company, who rode out the GD, and everything else, for the last 100 and some years. Our money is staying put. We've got 30 years till retirement, and a lot of hope for the future. Also figuring that, if in the end, we loose everything, we'll be far from alone, and it won't seem so bad! Lol!

Negative expectations have a way of becoming reality; the lower the masses expect it to go, the lower it'll go.

Yep, we have noticed that when good news is posted it goes up, but when bad news is posted it goes down. Unfortunately bad news gets rating for tv stations. It will go up, and we are hunkered down for the long haul.