Menu

Extra year of high school? Anyone know how this would work?

I'm going to try to explain this situation and see if any of you know if this is "legal". Here goes...

Our son is a senior this year. He has been a part-time student for all four years of high school at a local Christian school. He's taken his core classes at home & one or two classes at the cs each year (and played sports soccer, basketball & baseball). Well, he's decided he wants to do one more year of high school. Why? Because he wants to play sports at this school for one more year. Really, he could use another year of high school. He only has 20 credits, which is enough to get into the community college he wants to attend, but his language arts skills (specifically writing) need help! I don't think you can have five years on your high school transcript so could we drop the credits he got in 9th grade (only 3) and do another year of high school? Also, he could dual enroll at the community college and start getting credits toward his college transcript. Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous, but he really wants to do this. WHY would you want to go through another year of high school when you have enough to credits to graduate? Well, because this son is very athletic and absolutely LOVE sports and sees his sports career coming to an end?? Ugh!

I guess I'd need to contact the state, huh? The more I think about it, the stupider it sounds, but dh acts like it would be fine as long as the christian school is okay with it. What do you think? Ridiculous?

i know of several kids in the PS who were called 5th year seniors.

Yes, if this were me, i would just drop the bottom 3 credit and go from there. Maybe you can just pretend you moved to a new district and he needed to repeat 8th grade...?

but yes, contact somebody. At least call a local PS and ask how they handle 5th year students. They don't have to know you are home educating.

Teresa

Some schools in my area participate in National Sports Organizations similar to what public high schools have and they have regulations about 5th year students. You need to find out if he'll even be allowed to play a 5th year. This may be a moot point and you'd be doing all this work for nothing.

• 1 year later...

I agree that the most important fact you need to search out is whether he would be eligible to play sports in his 5th year or not.

Assuming he is, I see no reason to push him out of HS if he isn't ready to go, particularly since he could dual enroll at CC.

Many, many students take a year off between HS and college, because they just don't know what they want to do with their lives yet, what their major should be, etc. Those who don't take this time to reflect often end up changing majors multiple times, and staying in college longer (and spending a ton more money in the process).

If your son want to spend his "gap" year playing sports at his school while gaining dual enrollment credits (a peek at college life, course offerings, and hopefully increased maturity), why not?

Nope, not ridiculous at all.

I see you are in North Carolina. Check out this NC high school eligibility checklist -- your DS may not be eligible due to age or to having participated for 4 years in the sport. Definitely follow up with your school district head of athletics (not the school's coach) to get the real scoop on eligibility before figuring out how to wrangle all of this.

And, if DS is really into sports teams, what about moving on to a community college after high school and playing for that team? Or a community league? Or whatever college he is at often have student leagues (not the official school team) for fun...

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Some schools in my area participate in National Sports Organizations similar to what public high schools have and they have regulations about 5th year students. You need to find out if he'll even be allowed to play a 5th year. This may be a moot point and you'd be doing all this work for nothing.

They also often have age limits. I remember having to produce a birth certificate every year.

You can certainly do a 5th year of academics, but a 5th year of school sports might not work.

Julie

NH does not allow more than four consecutive years of high school sports, except in unusual cases (special ed students who may attend school til they are 22).

Well, because this son is very athletic and absolutely LOVE sports and sees his sports career coming to an end??

What makes him think he can't play in college?

I guess I'd need to contact the state, huh? The more I think about it, the stupider it sounds, but dh acts like it would be fine as long as the christian school is okay with it. What do you think? Ridiculous?

I don't know why you'd contact the state. He'd be past compulsory school age, yes? And NC doesn't give diplomas to private school students (which includes hsers), right? So why would you contact the state?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Students who attend the Christian school would probably not be allowed to, would they? Why should your ds get to?

I say graduate him and send him off to the community college.