Menu

If you clean your bathroom using cloth wipes/towels...

Where do you toss the wet/icky wipes when you're done? This was easier when I had a cloth diaper pail, but now I can't just throw them in the hamper all wet and nasty. I want to start wiping down the sink/faucet/counter each morning, but I seem to be stuck here. What's your solution?

TIA!

We use cloth wipes (made from old clothes) for everything, like cleaning kitchen, spills, messes, bathrooms, etc.

I have pail that just inside our garage, that we just open the door from the kitchen and drop in. At first I was putting bleach water in the pail, but that was just a gross mess on laundry day. So now we just drop them as-is into a dry pail. I wash about every other day or so to prevent mildewing. I wash in hot water, soap and vinegar. After drying, I also microwave them for 30 seconds. Microwaving kills everything!

But for the ones used in the bathroom, that just icks me out, at least the ones used on the toilet and tub areas, so we just toss those. Easily replaced, so no biggie.

I keep a small pail on my washing machine. I throw all the nasty towels in three and then just pick up the pail and toss all the rags in at once. I never have to touch them again this way. Since it is right by the washer I remember to throw them in first before I load the washer with towels, to guarantee that they are washed asap. We can let a bath towel wait until the next wash load but I like to keep the kitchen/bath room cleaning rags fresh.

Where do you toss the wet/icky wipes when you're done? This was easier when I had a cloth diaper pail, but now I can't just throw them in the hamper all wet and nasty. I want to start wiping down the sink/faucet/counter each morning, but I seem to be stuck here. What's your solution?

TIA!

I wipe down the bathroom quickly before I collect the laundry from the hamper. The rag goes in with the other laundry and straight to the washer. Of course, this would not work for 'ya if you're not a daily launderer!

Am I missing something? If you wipe the counters, sinks and faucets daily, what is so icky about the cloths you are using? What are you wiping them with? I use a solution of vinegar and water for the counters and a sprinkle of baking soda for the sinks. I use non-toxic cleaners and the 4yo is being trained to do this as her daily job in addition to changing the hand towels.

I do daily laundry so the not-so-icky cloths don't hang our for more than a day. It never occurred to me that I needed a special place to put them.

I use a disposable wipe and throw it in the trash.

It's not what you asked, but you didn't specify what kind of wipe! :)

For wet dishrags, and other wet things, I lay them across the bathroom counter, or on top of the washer, or over the dryer door, until dry. Then, I throw them in with the laundry.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

For me the ick value is that they are soaking wet and therefore if they go in the hamper with other laundry and are not washed that very day, they will make everything at best smell bad and at worst go mouldy.

That's why I use a bucket.

Yes, this is my main issue. I'm not a daily launderer--I do try, but often we just don't have enough to make a full load of something (DH wears suits to work, I work from home, the kids are few in number and still little :lol:). Our kitchen cloths all go into a basket in the kitchen. And again, there aren't usually too many of them, so they don't get washed everyday either, and if they happen to be very wet (e.g., washcloths for little hands), they hang on the range hood to dry before they hit the basket. Ultimately, yes, the wetness is my major concern, though I use toilet paper on the toilet as well, and I'd really like to break that habit too. With three girls and a one...ahem...manly man in the house, plus my parents visiting a few days a week, we already consume more than enough TP!

Our laundry room is in the basement. I think it's sounding like a dollar-store bucket under the sink is in order, and I'll just have to remember to bring it down every day or so. I could probably even hang the wipes on the edges so they dry in the meantime too. Hmmmm...OK, off to hunt for something to serve this purpose.

Thanks for helping me think this through, everyone! I appreciate the input :D

Edited by melissel

TIA!

But you wring them out, yes? Then they aren't all that wet and nasty, are they???

I put out a new dishcloth every morning. The "old" one goes in a small plastic thingie in the laundry room that sits on top of the dryer. I've never had problems with them smelling or anything before I wash them once a week.

I never have wet sheets. Well unless they are right out of the washing machine and heading for the line.

We do have wet sheets every other month or so, but the difference is that they alone are enough to constitute a full wash load, so they go straight in as soon as the bed is stripped. A few flannel wipes in the morning are not going to add up to a full load, and here, we do laundry every few days, or maybe as infrequently as once a week (depending on the kind of week we had!).

But you wring them out, yes? Then they aren't all that wet and nasty, are they???

I put out a new dishcloth every morning. The "old" one goes in a small plastic thingie in the laundry room that sits on top of the dryer. I've never had problems with them smelling or anything before I wash them once a week.

Well, no, but that was my point. They're not too wet and nasty to sit by themselves in a little pail on the washer, but IMO, yes, they are too wet and nasty, covered with leftover soap and toothpaste and who knows what other kid-oriented residue (tinted water left from washing off face paint comes quickly to mind today, LOL!) to, say, get tossed on top of my khakis in the hamper for a few days. Again, I'm not an everyday launderer. In fact, I don't even enter my laundry room unless I'm actively doing laundry, it's so out of the way in the house. Obviously the pail under the sink is the simple solution, but since this has never really been part of my routine, it just didn't occur to me.

I use a small square plastic wash tub that we got at the hospital when one of the kids was sick. It's for when they p*ke. Anyway, I keep this in the laundry room and drape the offending rag over the edge. When it's dry I put it inside the same container and wash weekly. I clean with vinegar water so I figure that the rags are probably disinfected, especially since it was the rag that cleaned the surface in question. Know what I mean? If the rag can get the toilet rim clean, the the residual cleaner on the rag is enough to keep me from getting sick from handling it. Of course, if there's been a stomach bug those rags go in the trash. I also use cut up t-shirts and washcloths and towels that start to fray.

That's why I just have a little plastic basket :-) That wasn't part of my routine for at least half of my adult life, but when I started putting out a new dishcloth daily I had to come up with a plan because I knew I wasn't going to toss wet wet cloths of any kind into the hamper with the rest of the laundry. I only do laundry once a week, too.

You know, we just all think differently about things. If I washed my bathroom sink I'd be using some kind of cleaner--soap or something--and by the time I wiped down the sink and rinsed out the cloth with hot water, there wouldn't be that much yucky stuff left on it that would gross me out. Cleaning the toilet, yes; cleaning the sink and counter, no.

We run a cleaning business. We have found that using cleaning rags on sinks and showers with the cleaner works well. On the toilet we use Clorox spray and papertowels that can be thrown away. As for the cleaning, we put them in a load by themselves, the the hottest setting and throw bleach in to disinfect.

...but when I started putting out a new dishcloth daily I had to come up with a plan because I knew I wasn't going to toss wet wet cloths of any kind into the hamper with the rest of the laundry.

This is another struggle of mine. I can't seem to sever my relationship with my scrubby sponge! I want to. I really do. I've tried other options. Can't quite get there though *sigh* Well, at least now I'll know what to do with them when I finally mange to give up the sponge :lol: