Menu

Help! How do I stop snoring?

Apparently, I snore, and loudly, or so DH claims. He gets really mad and bothered by it waking him up, so he wakes me up, over and over all night long. As a consequence, I'm so tired I can barely get through the day.

I don't sleep on my back. I don't drink, smoke, or eat before bed. I do need to lose around 20 lbs, and assume that's the problem.

Anyway, since I'm not going to lose 20 lbs overnight, is there anything that helps with snoring? I've seen all sorts of mouth pieces advertised, and various pillows. Do any of them actually work?

I'm thinking of sleeping in a separate room from DH, just can't stand having him wake me up over and over every night. Plus, it's making me feel very anxious, worrying I'm going to snore and bother him.

Michelle T, who is very, very tired.

If this has just started there is a reason for it. Go see your doctor. If this is a life long thing, then maybe see about having your adenoids out. Dd stopped within two weeks of having hers removed. If you can't have your adenoids out, you might want to consider separate rooms.

The thing that cured my dh was a CPAP machine. I wonder if you're having bouts of apnea w/your snoring. He was, and had a sleep study done. They found that his breathing was stopping MANY times during the night, which can be very dangerous (I guess that's obvious!). He and I are both sleeping so soundly now.

BTW, my girlfriend's dh is very thin (always has been) and snores terribly.

I hope you can find what works for you~

Chelle

I would get DH to roll on his side to stop his snoring. And then, he hurt his back(?) and could not turn on his side. I told him that he wasn't only snoring but he had long pauses between breaths. We had tried for years to get his doctor to send him to a sleep clinic. Finally the doc believed him due to what I said. DH stopped breathing 95 times during his sleep study. He now has a CPAP machine and I'm getting better sleep too. It's been a bit of an adjustment trying to find the right mask, but it is much better than nudging DH all night and worrying every time he quits breathing.

You should talk to your doctor. It could be sleep apnea.

I'm the snorer in our family (although Mr. Ellie sleeps like a rock and rarely noticed that I snored). I had the sleep study done and sure enough, I have mild sleep apnea. The CPAP has been like a religious experience for me, lol.

Anyway, since I'm not going to lose 20 lbs overnight, is there anything that helps with snoring? I've seen all sorts of mouth pieces advertised, and various pillows. Do any of them actually work?

I just want to say that you shouldn't start feeling guilty about the extra pounds. This is a chicken and egg sort of thing. If you aren't getting enough sleep that could very well be why you're carrying extra weight and chances are you aren't going to be able to lose it while you're suffering sleep deprivation.

I snore and the best means of battling it for me seems to be just to sleep on my side. If you have trouble staying on your side just stitch something small and annoying, like a tennis ball, onto the back of a t-shirt or night shirt and where that to bed.

Otherwise, I'd second seeing a doctor.

I agree with those who suggested getting checked out by a doctor. Any loud snorer should due to possible sleep apnea which can seriously affect your health in a life threatening kind of way.

Snoring can also be caused by deviated septum (which can be fixed) and enlarged tonsils/adnoids (also fixable).

Also, please try to understand it from your husband's point of view too. It takes me between 1-3 hours to fall asleep nightly because of my husband's snoring. The only time I can fall asleep more quickly is if he sleeps on the couch or I'm exhausted to the point I'd sleep through explosions. Oh, and I've read about extreme anger (murderous thoughts) being normal in the non-snorer. You begin to think "THEY are doing it ON PURPOSE to annoy you and you just want to smother them with their pillow to get them to just.be.quiet!" Why did I find that...because that's how I felt about my husband. It really is hard on the non-snorer.

Oh, and I've read about extreme anger (murderous thoughts) being normal in the non-snorer. You begin to think "THEY are doing it ON PURPOSE to annoy you and you just want to smother them with their pillow to get them to just.be.quiet!" Why did I find that...because that's how I felt about my husband. It really is hard on the non-snorer.

Uh-oh - my dh may be in more danger than I thought. I routinely plug his nose until he opens his mouth to breathe. Maybe I should start sleeping in a seperate room to protect him in case I go over the edge!!

I notice that when my dh has been eating a lot of gunk (= full of fat) he snores loudly. We're vegan. When he doesn't eat gunk, he doesn't snore. I'd start by cutting out all dairy and work from there - assuming it's not an actual physical abnormality, of course.