Menu

Spanish Curriculum for high school - Which one ?

Ds (9th grade) is using Switched on Schoolhouse High School Spanish. He really likes it and has learned quite a bit from it. I like it because it is mostly self-teaching and self-grading. There are only about one to four questions per lesson or test that I have to grade.

Hope this helps,

Karri

Rosetta Stone for my daughter who is taking French. I just don't think she is really learning much. I have heard people mention SOS for Spanish. I assume they are talking about Switched on Schoolhouse.

Can you tell me a little more about SOS for Spanish? Do you have to buy Spanish I and then Spanish II? Is there a writing component or is it all one the computer?

Thanks again for any help.

Tami

I would think that once a week for an hour or so wouldn't be too expensive--there a lot of Spanish speakers around. Most home schoolers I know who just learned Spanish at home without chances to speak and listen to normal conversations can't speak it at all. Textbook work is good for grammar, but not for learning how to speak.

Also, a language at CC might be a possibility to look into-college languages tend to be more rigorous. But speaking is the main thing I see little utility in studying a language for four years without being able to speak it.

Spanish I and Spanish II are purchased separately. Each is a one year program. There is a little bit of writing, as in typing in the answers to questions - usually just a sentence. The computer program will grade these answers.

The student also answers questions verbally via a microphone (purchased separately) that is hooked up to the computer. You have to grade the spoken answers yourself. This is easy because as you are grading you can listen to the native speaker say the the answer, then compare it to your student's answer.

My 15yo daughter is doing Spanish I through OSU. It is textbook based but the workbook assignments and tests are graded by OSU staff. She has a weekly conversation with staff, not all of whom are native Spanish speakers. During that time she practices speaking but can ask to go over anything she is having trouble with. We have found OSU to be very accommodating if we had a question or problem. So we will likely do Spanish 2 next year.