Menu

VP First Favorites - Is this fun?

Mom0012

My 6-year-old daughter has really taken off this year with her reading and writing and I'm looking for something fun to do with her over the summer. She loves worksheet pages and coloring and crafts, so it seems like this would probably be right for her, but I can't find any samples of the program.

Thanks!

Lisa

We have these and I have used them a little.

IMO they are "busy work". If you are not using narration to see if your dc is comprehending the story, then these would be a good choice. They include a lot of answering questions with writing, a few projects, coloring pages, and even some recipes.

The stories they were having the kids read were below reading level for my ds6 so he was pretty bored with it. I am going to hold onto them for my next son and see if they would be a better fit for him. He doesn't seem to be as far ahead in reading ability as my other ds.

If you are just looking for something fun to do with your dd over the summer, these might be it. you could even complete a lapbook with the story for reinforcement and more fun.

I have the program and I used it with my son. Like the previous post said, it is a nice way to see if your child comprehends what they read.

It has the following:

a. Copywork

b. Comprehension questions

c. a craft

Depending on your child's writing abilities, he/she may love it or hate it. If I ask my son now about A Chair for My Mother, I think that he would remember it. However, we did read it for Five in A Row, but this is my younger son who struggles with academics more. He remembers many of the books. He even complained, but now he talks about those books. So, I like the program. I think that it is a nice stepping stone to help your child better understand a book.

I hope that helps.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

For my son they were just part of school. He did not dislike them, but was not excited about them. He does have comprehension issues so they worked great to reinforce what he had read. My daughter loves them. She is all about worksheets, color pages, and projects. When it comes to my son, I do not base a lot on what he likes because he would be thrilled to never again pick up a book or pencil. He is very oral. So, the answer to your question is yes, I like them. They were good for his comprehension and good to keep my daughter busy with something productive.

It was too much writing for my son at the time. We did use some of the pages. The most valuable thing about First Favorites IMHO is the booklist (which you can glean from the catalog). Those are wonderful books with which to learn reading. If I had to do it over again, I would use the books, but we would skip the workbook. It sounds like your daughter might thrive on the workbook, though. If I had a child who enjoyed that sort of thing, I might be inclined to use the workbook. In that case, I think it is "fun" and worth it. HTH.

Thank you all! Julie, I think my daughter will be like yours. Last week, I had copied some worksheets and coloring pages out of the SOTW activity guide just to have around in case the kids wanted to do them over the next number of weeks and my daughter did them all in one evening. It kind of surprised me how much she enjoyed doing that. My son, on the other hand, has not touched one.

Thanks again!

Lisa