Menu

What nostalgic movies/t.v. shows have you shared (or plan to share) with your kids?

Right now my kids are enjoying the "Francis the Talking Mule" movies.

We also enjoy watching the "Andy Griffith Show" and "Mayberry RFD" episodes on DVD.

We've also watched the original "Shaggy Dog" movies. (I hate the recent attempts to remake these and other Disney movies!)

seen The Andy Griffith Show, Gilligan's Island (I cannot stand this show), Ozzie & Harriet, Anne of Green Gables and the Road to Avonlea, The Waltons, Cheaper by the Dozen (original version), The Birds and we are ordering "It's a Family Affair" next from Netflix.

Little House on the Praire, old Disney versions, schoolhouse rock, and recently Davy and Goliath.

I am never glad that I do though. Just bad TV. The obnoxious and disrespectful attitudes are all there and sexual innuendos as well. They have gotten worse, but they are still in the older stuff too.

It is kinda like music that I used to listen to all the time. Now when I hear the songs play on the radio, I actually listen to the lyrics and think, "Yuck".

We like several old movies with Cary Grant, Doris Day, Don Knotts, Jimmy Stewart, Frank Sinatra, Dean Jones, Hayley Mills, Audrey Hepburn, Shirley Temple, Ronald Howard in the old Sherlock Holmes movies and Lucille Ball. Tim Conway and Don Knotts in The Private Eyes just cracks us up. There are so many good ones!

We watch little to no TV. But we do sometimes rent movies. We all enjoy musicals. The kids especially love Singing in the Rain, Sound of Music, Royal Wedding, old Shirley Temple movies. For TV stuff, we have some Davey & Goliath, Little House on the Prairie and Schoolhouse Rock DVDs and once in a while we catch reruns of Mr. Rogers.

Old Errol Flynn movies...we just finished reading all about Richard the Lion Hearted and of course, Robin Hood, so I popped in Errol Flynn's "The adventures of Robin Hood". Any excuse for me to watch an old errol Flynn movie! I can't wait until we study pirates in more depth!:D Then it will be "Captain Blood" ( Blood is his surname) and "against all Flags" , then again when we do the wild west there are more too, I think we also own "They dies with their boots on".

I also have the Schoolhouse Rock DVD, but most of that was actually after I was a kid...dating myself here!:)

Gosh, where to start?

The Waltons, Laugh In, Little House, Back to the Future, Wargames...

A few days ago I showed him the I Love Lucy clip where she does the MegaVegeVitaMin...VegeMinaVitaMeat...you know, the one where she gets drunk on the vitamin stuff (it's a little early for me).

Of course, mine is 13 now.

They have watched:

Arsenic and Old Lace (cary grant)

Any of the Abbott and Costello shows (including the Who's on First)

Any of the Jerry Lewis ones (Including the original Nutty Professor)

The Munsters

The Addams Family

I'm getting ready to find the old shows done with Vincent Price (all of his Poe series, that co-starred Peter Lorrie)

More current though, oldest watches The Nanny (old episodes) and Saved by the Bell, the Golden Girls, MASH, and pretty much all of the old shows Tv Land runs. They've even watched old shows of Sid and Marty Kroft (the buggaloos, Land of the Lost, etc..)

Just recently, I caught oldest watching "War Games" with Matthew Broderick and Dabney Coleman (old 80's movie) and she loved it. ;) And we've done the SchoolHouse Rock thing to death.

We own all available seasons on DVD:

Andy Griffth (black and white only)

I Love Lucy

Dick Van Dyke

Leave it to Beaver

Flipper

Also, my kids love Sergeant York (Gary Cooper), Journey to the Center of the Earth, Captains Courageous, Meet John Doe, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life (anything Capra), 12 Angry Men, The Great Escape, Fiddler on the Roof, Music Man, Where the Red Fern Grows, Magnificent 7, Follow Me Boys, Shane, Stalag 17, The Sons of Katie Elder, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, High Noon, Friendly Persuasion, Robin Hood (Errol Flynn), True Grit, Abbott and Costello, The Quiet Man, Chariots of Fire, Glen Miller, The Benny Goodman Story, The Cowboys (John Wayne), The Man Who Knew Too Much, Rear Window, Lone Ranger, Song of the South (politically incorrect, I know!) The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Witness for the Prosecution. I know I'm forgetting a bunch. We don't get cable service or watch television, so we invest in what we consider to be really great DVDs that we want our kids to appreciate. If you're looking for great titles, check out American Vision's catalog or website. They have a huge listing of titles that they recommend for families. I don't purchase directly from them, though. They're a bit pricey. I order from Amazon or ebay instead.

We like the Andy Griffith Show and Leave It To Beaver. When The Sound of Music comes on around Christmas time, I've tried to get the kids to watch it with me but they are never interested. When my girls are older, I can't wait to watch (and read) Anne of Green Gables with them. (Although I bet my boys would like it too.)

I've shown dd Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy. She loves those. She's seen the original Parent Trap and liked it. I should start showing more of those older sit coms. I despise most anything on Nick or Disney, to the point that if I even hear Mylie Cyrus's voice, I literally fly across the room and change the channel. I'm so sick and tired of the elevation of children and the idiotizing of parents. And, why does Disney ONLY portray single parents? Why is it someone is always either dead or has abandoned the family?

Movies: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World--great old movie w/lots of classic movie starts; Monty Python and the Holy Grail

TV: The Dick Van Dyke Show; Fawlty Towers (check out my avatar!); The Bob Newhart Show(from the 70s); The Hardy Boys; also, when it's on the Hallmark Channel, my boys love to watch Diagnosis Murder

When my boys were younger, we watched Andy Griffith, and Rocky and Bullwinkle

I Love Lucy

Dick Van Dyke

Leave it to Beaver

Flipper

Wow, ThelmaLou, sounds like our kids would get along great! These are exactly what my kids watch!

We also have the first season of Emergency (I remember having a crush on Johnny Gage!), and several seasons of Hogan's Heroes.

:)

Nancy

We shared with them:

Beverly Hillbillies (this is my dh's deal because I do not like this show at all)

Leave it to Beaver

Bill Cosby show

Andy Griffith show

I love Lucy (the kids really got a kick out of this show)

Little house on the prairie

Bonanza (we try to watch this show and Gunsmoke every weekend)

Gunsmoke

Movies:

Orginal Parent trap

Pollyana

All of the Disney old old classic movies. (WE all love them!!)

Chitty bang bang

Ten Commandements (The original)

Star Wars movies (the first three that came out)

I am sure there are more...We really make a piont of letting our kids see movies of our time when they show on Satelite.

Holly

The Neverending Story

Labyrinth

The Princess Bride

Little Monsters

Monster Squad (13yo)

Transformers cartoons

Thundercats

He-Man

Gummi Bears

Terminator (13yo)

Fright Night (13yo)

Tron

Short Circuit

Harry and the Hendersons

Land of the Lost

The Watcher in the Woods (13yo)

The Lost Boys (13yo)

Willy Wonka

Sound of Music

Marry Poppins

Victor/Victoria (13yo)

Smufs

The Snorks

Andy Griffith Show

I Love Lucy

Ma and Pa Kettle

Gone With the Wind

DS is very into MASH at the moment. His favorite character is Wincester. As I type he is playing the MASH theme on the guitar. He doesn't know the actual words to that song. Before Valentine we where in a Hallmark store and he found a musical card that played the MASH theme and he thought it was neat. I thought it was strange who would want to give a Valentine with the music from a song titled Suicide is Painless. Then I figured like my son most people don't know the title or words to the song. We did the play in highschool and that is how I know it.

We have the complete works of Harold Lloyd - huge hit. Chaplin, Keaton, silent version of Peter Pan - also vast numbers of Our Gang comedies (earlier the better). DD#1, 14, has copied Topper with Cary Grant and Roland Young on to the DVR and keeps rewatching it. She also agrees that Roman Holiday is major chickflick! This is the same dd who wanted all the Shirley Temple videos we could find, too. The kids also enjoy the 1960's series Thunderbirds, which are now available on DVD. Oh - and the old musicals with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland!

Almost forgot - I Love Lucy!!! natch!

Oh - forgot all the Danny Kaye films! Inspector General - Hans Christian Anderson - Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Court Jester 9my fav!)

Johnny Quest

The Fantastic Four

Little House on the Prairie (only the 1st 4 seasons though, once they adopt the boy they lost me).

The Waltons seasons one and two only. (after that there is adultery and such)

The African Queen is a huge favorite.

We went through the entire Stargate SG1 series, which I only has to edit three times. It is one of our very favorite things to watch.

The Incredible Mister Limpet.

Anne of Green Gables

The Railway Children

Prince Valiant

Errol Flynn movies

Masterpiece Theater's Pollyanna

I have had this book out from the library a few times and loved all of the suggestions with one notable exception: Bringing Up Baby. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to undertand the humor there...:confused:

One movie from the book we really enjoyed was The Shop Around the Corner, and we subsequently watched the more modern version You've Got Mail and had fun comparing the two.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Old-Movies-Families-Watching/dp/1400096863/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203773156&sr=8-1

So far we've enjoyed Emergency!, Family Affair, Lost in Space, UFO, Star Trek, Keeping Up Appearances, All Creatures Great and Small (James Herriott), Mr. Ed. Dh has enjoyed BaaBaa Black Sheep (Pappy Boyington) and I've caught a couple episodes of Matlock.

Movie wise: Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Sound of Music, Exodus, Fiddler on the Roof, Hell Fighters (Oil Well Firefighters),

Oh, I forgot my son's newest obsession!

A friend recently lent us all four videos in the "A Thief in the Night" series (anyone else remember those end times movies with the terrible 1970s music and fashions?).

My 11 year old is *all over* these videos. He even asked me if I had any sheet music for "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" -- since I can remember playing that song over and over when I was about his age, I knew that I did have it. I dug it out for him.

I can't tell you how many duets we've done recently, with me on the piano and him on the guitar. (Life was filled with guns and war, you know.):rolleyes:

I Love Lucy

Dick Van Dyke

Leave it to Beaver

Flipper

Also, my kids love Sergeant York (Gary Cooper), Journey to the Center of the Earth, Captains Courageous, Meet John Doe, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life (anything Capra), 12 Angry Men, The Great Escape, Fiddler on the Roof, Music Man, Where the Red Fern Grows, Magnificent 7, Follow Me Boys, Shane, Stalag 17, The Sons of Katie Elder, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, High Noon, Friendly Persuasion, Robin Hood (Errol Flynn), True Grit, Abbott and Costello, The Quiet Man, Chariots of Fire, Glen Miller, The Benny Goodman Story, The Cowboys (John Wayne), The Man Who Knew Too Much, Rear Window, Lone Ranger, Song of the South (politically incorrect, I know!) The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Witness for the Prosecution. I know I'm forgetting a bunch. We don't get cable service or watch television, so we invest in what we consider to be really great DVDs that we want our kids to appreciate. If you're looking for great titles, check out American Vision's catalog or website. They have a huge listing of titles that they recommend for families. I don't purchase directly from them, though. They're a bit pricey. I order from Amazon or ebay instead.

We have seen a lot of those too, and one of our favorites is Captains Courageous. We love the movie, but I was surprised when I read the book. The story is very different, even in an old movie like that.

Who used to watch the Rogers and Hammerstein production of Cinderella every year? My sisters and I loved it, sang all the songs, had a big time when it came on. I couldn't wait to show it to my girls.

They thought it was the lamest thing they had ever seen. They preferred the one with the grown up girl from ET, what's her name.

All of ours think the Beverly Hillbillies is hysterical.

Our favorites have been

I Love Lucy

Dick Van Dyke

Andy Griffith Show

Little House on the Prarie (although my kids don't like this like I did)

Leave it to Beaver

The Munsters

Twilight Zone........every New Year's Day marathon without fail!!! Every one has their favorite

Battlestar Gallactica (the OLD series, not the new one)

Movies

My husband loves old black & white WWII movies so my boys are all over that

Audrey Hepburn movies (daughter loves these)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Gone with the Wind

Wizard of Oz

James Bond (ya, I know......its my husband's fault)

Anything Alfred Hitchcock we love